Seek Outside Pack

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm looking at the either the Unaweep, Broadwing, or Goshawk. It won't be used for hauling meat but for weekend/week long excursions in the backcountry.

I like to keep my pack's weight down where possible so I would never be carrying more than 50 pounds. There's no one I know that has one so there's no opportunity to see it or use it before buying. Wish the Unaweep had a vertical zipper for the pack but it's not a deal breaker. The Brooks does not have a side sleeve for easy access to a water bottle (and I don't use a hydration pack) so that is a deal breaker. The Broadwing upper sleeves have an open bottom on both sides which isn't helpful as I don't carry anything long.

Those are the dislikes. Everything else I've seen and read about is fantastic.

I would sure appreciate any guidance on the SO packs and which one makes sense.

Last edited:
I took the jump this year to a seek outside revolution frame and 4800 cui bag. I to was skeptical. Last year I used a EXo, year before kifaru, year before that mystery ranch. So I have kinda used them all. I carried the seek outside for 30 days during archery elk season, 2 different wilderness areas. Changed bivy sites every 4-5 days. Honestly there is nothing about the seekoutside system I don't love. By far the most comfortable pack I've worn.i just received my broad wing bag and put it on my Revolution frame. The bag is very good quality, very well thought out. Great overall design. I love the pass through feature on the side bags. The water bottle pockets are huge. They will easily hold 2-1 liter Nalgene bottles each. Great pack you won't be sorry.ive hauled loads up to 70 pounds and still very comfortable.

Akicita

WKR
I took the jump this year to a seek outside revolution frame and 4800 cui bag. I to was skeptical. Last year I used a EXo, year before kifaru, year before that mystery ranch. So I have kinda used them all. I carried the seek outside for 30 days during archery elk season, 2 different wilderness areas. Changed bivy sites every 4-5 days. Honestly there is nothing about the seekoutside system I don't love. By far the most comfortable pack I've worn.i just received my broad wing bag and put it on my Revolution frame. The bag is very good quality, very well thought out. Great overall design. I love the pass through feature on the side bags. The water bottle pockets are huge. They will easily hold 2-1 liter Nalgene bottles each. Great pack you won't be sorry.ive hauled loads up to 70 pounds and still very comfortable.

^^^^This and much, much more^^^^ I've use a lot of packs in my 50+ years and I can't say one thing bad about my Unaweep 6300 Fortress. . . Oh and by the way Kevin and his team put a vertical zipper in for me.

MVUXgEX.jpg

qyzO8ox.png

PI88XDA.jpg

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
The new SO packs are made using the gatekeeper connectors rather than the buckles, which I prefer. That has me a tad concerned and I can see from Akicita's bag, it has the buckles. They are much quicker and easier to work with.

I asked about them putting in a vertical zipper like you had done and was told they are not doing modifications. The zipper would be helpful.

Finally, the there is no lid available for the Unaweep although I am told they are being reintroduced.

I'd be thrilled having a Unaweep made to the specs of Akicita. No can do. Oh well.

I've got a Unaweep 4800 I've been real happy with. I have a base talon and a Merlin daypack/talon to make it more versatile.

The Exposure 5000 and Brooks 7400 have great zipper access.

I swapped out the fastex buckles for the gatekeepers to accommodate the Merlin. So far they seem fine too, and work with the older Talon as well.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I saw videos of both the Brooks and Exposure. Both look interesting but not what I want. I could live without the zipper but the absence of the buckles makes the Unaweep unusable by me as it is made.

I've reviewed all their packs again and my options are:

1) Get the Unaweep, buy the fastex buckles, and pay a tailor/seamstress to remove the gatekeepers and affix the buckles

2) Get the Broadwing. It has a side zipper. It also does not have the Base Talon so you won't be removing and reattaching it like you do with the Unaweep.

texag10

WKR
Couldn't you buy the goshawk, have what looks to me like a fortress 4800 with a side zipper (what I have) and the just cut the gatekeepers out of the talon and use split tail buckles so you don't have to pay someone to attach them to the talon? You could also use bachelor buckles.

I'd probably go that route but try it with the gatekeepers first.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can run a brooks with a bottle holster, that is what I do, however that may be overkill. I personally like the bottle holster a lot.

I would think Goshawk suites you best. Try the GK , and if they are not your thing then put split bar buckles where you want. You don't need to cut GK off, they can be unthreaded. In my opinion, we make a really good pack, and back it with really good service, however we are not set up to be a custom shop.

Thanks
Kevin

Akicita

WKR
The new SO packs are made using the gatekeeper connectors rather than the buckles, which I prefer. That has me a tad concerned and I can see from Akicita's bag, it has the buckles. They are much quicker and easier to work with. - Yeah. . . I hate to pass judgment before I try them but my Fortress comes with me on a lot of winter mountaineering trips. I can't imagine manipulating the Gatekeeper Buckles in cold or icy conditions - I am going to order some to try and make an experienced conclusion on those.
I would say if Kevin likes them there must be something to them however I can think of many ways to adapt buckles to the compression straps without having to cut or remove the Gatekeepers

I asked about them putting in a vertical zipper like you had done and was told they are not doing modifications. The zipper would be helpful. Sorry about that. . . My pack was made for me the Fall of 2016 and at the time they offered that. I can honestly say that the reason I wanted it and the only time I use it is when mountaineering in order to get to technical equipment without having to toss the bag while roped in on steep terrain. Otherwise most times I can access everything from the top after loosening the compression straps and typically do

Finally, the there is no lid available for the Unaweep although I am told they are being reintroduced. Scratching my head on this one too. . . My lid is where I keep my lights, Delorme, compass, map, first aid, fire starter, toilet paper, etc. . . I can't imagine any of my expedition top loading bags without some sort of lid. . . I hope they bring it back

I'd be thrilled having a Unaweep made to the specs of Akicita. I can't say enough good things about my Seek Outside pack.
I purchased it and had it built specifically to cache heavy loads on technical routes of Denali summits and solo high country Elk hunts. I have a great many purpose built packs but tend to grab my Fortress for most any activity I do that requires a full load-out.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
FRAME PLATFORM

I trying to decide whether I want to go with the Revolution frame or the Unaweep frame. I will use it only for backpacking so no monster loads like hunters have hauling out a deer or elk. I won't be accessing the "shelf" which is the space between the revolution frame and a bag. I will be likely be buying both a medium bag and a large bag. I just haven't decided which frame platform to build from.

Does the Revolution frame provide any other benefits over the Unaweep frame?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have one frame, and two pack platforms built from that. The Revolution platform allows you to separate the packbag completely and still use the frame and suspension to haul gear. You can also carry a load between the packbag and frame.

Revolution family consists of Peregrine, Fortress 4800, Goshawk 4800, Fortress 6300, Broadwing, in order of size.

The Integrated platform has suspension components sewn into the packbag, meaning you can't separate the packbag from the frame and still use it. This family consists of the soon to be released Gila, Divide, Exposure, Unaweep, and Brooks, again, order of size.

The Revolution comes with two cross stays as does the Brooks. The other packs come with one cross stay. They all carry very similarly because they share the same frame, hipbelt, and harness. Choices come down to size, organization, and level of waterproofing needed (Unaweep, Divide, Fortress can be made watertight.)

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Then I have completely misunderstood your system and don't know whether I am afoot or horseback. Let me start again. If I buy the Unaweep 6300 then you're saying that's it, I'm done. I can not put put a different bag on that frame.

Seek Outside Unaweep 6300 Ultralight Backpack

If I buy the Revolution frame/suspension...

Seek Outside Revolution - Ultralight Hunting Backpack

...then I can put any of your separate pack bags listed on it, correct?

Lightweight Backpacks - Pack Bags Only - Seek Outside

I can put the Unaweep 6300 bag $209 on the Revolution frame/suspension, or the Divide pack bag $209, or the Broadwing 7000 bag $239, or any other bag can go on it.

If all the above is correct, then the only people who would buy an integrated bag suspension (such as the Unaweep 6300)

Seek Outside Unaweep 6300 Ultralight Backpack

are those who don't want to use another size bag. One and done. By contrast, those who do want to have two different sized bags can only use the Revolution suspension platform.

I hope I'm getting closer.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not quite yet! I'll try to explain it better.

ALL of our packs use same hipbelt, shoulder harness, and frame.

Integrated Platform packs like the Unaweep 6300 do not have a breakaway load shelf feature like the Revolution Platform packs. So, you can't carry a load between the frame and packbag on a Unaweep, but you can on a Broadwing.

You cannot use Integrated Platform packbags on the Revolution Platform. So you can't use a Unaweep on a Revolution. However, you CAN take your shoulder harness, hipbelt, and frame off of a Unaweep and get the Revolution Frame Panel (Revolution Frame Panel) and now you've got a Revolution Suspension that you can stick Revolution Platform bags on such as Peregrine, Fortress, Goshawk, Broadwing.

Back to the Unaweep 6300, if you buy one of those you can also buy a Divide pack bag only or a Unaweep 4800 pack bag only and again just use the hipbelt, harness, and frame you've already got.

So the main difference between Integrated Platform and Revolution Platform is the Revolution has a frame encasement that contains all the suspension attachments and lets it be used separately from a packbag.

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
You can change packbags on the Unaweep, you just can't use the frame and suspension by itself without a bag like you can with the Revolution.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I want to sincerely everybody above for your thoughtful insight and patience. I'll try to absorb this but it is very confusing. I'd bet dollars to donuts if you asked 100 prospective buyers the nitty-gritty details, like we're exploring here, you wouldn't find 2 who understood it. I'm among the 98 who clearly don't. I think a video by SO demonstrating how their systems and pack bags integrate and don't integrate would be very useful to prospective buyers.

If I clearly knew what the devil was going on, I would be more likely to buy a second or even third bag which would mean additional sales for SO and a bag for my every need. As it is, I'm throwing in the towel, in spite of the heroic efforts of everyone above, and buying a single backpack. Too bad because that's a lose/lose when it could have been a win/win.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Akicita

WKR
FRAME PLATFORM

I trying to decide whether I want to go with the Revolution frame or the Unaweep frame. I will use it only for backpacking so no monster loads like hunters have hauling out a deer or elk. I won't be accessing the "shelf" which is the space between the revolution frame and a bag. I will be likely be buying both a medium bag and a large bag. I just haven't decided which frame platform to build from.

Does the Revolution frame provide any other benefits over the Unaweep frame?

Sorry if I am adding to the confusion but let me add that one of the things that drew me to the Unaweep is the ability, and verstility of roll the top bag and compression system to accommodate any size load. I have used it for light day pack loads, overnighters just as easy as multi day and multi week loads. I chose the Unaweep over the Revolution for the simplicity and light weight of the system. This is a versatile, durable, light and weather resistant backpack that I have been extremely happy with. I haven't ever felt the need for a different bag to attach to the fantastic frame. It has adapted to every reasonable expectation I have had for it.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Finally pulled the trigger on a Revolution Fortress 6,300. I debated for quite a while whether I wanted the Integrated or Revolution platform. I'll be using it solely for backpacking, no hunting. I finally decided on the Revolution platform because the weight penalty is only 2.5oz if I use the same number of stays (either 1 or 2). More importantly, you never know when the breakway feature might come in handy.

The next decision was whether I wanted, or needed, a zipper on the bag. That boiled down to the Goshawk vs Fortress 6,300. In the end, I'd buy a Talon for the Goshawk and their weight would be the same except I'd have 1,500 fewer cubic inches. I also decided that being sure the contents of the bag remained dry was more important than ready access. The woods where I travel are always wet. I'll have the Talon, top lid, and belt pouch so that adds over 1,500 cu in to use for ready access.

Finally, my choice was to go with the Fortress 4,800 or 6,300. No decision here. For $40 and 3 oz penalty you get an extra 1,500 cu in.

I spent a lot of time making this decision and got tremendous feedback from quite a few people. I want to sincerely thank all of you for your thoughtful advise and am grateful for everyone of you who lent a helping hand.

You're a great group of guys! Thank you.

BRWNBR

WKR
I want to sincerely everybody above for your thoughtful insight and patience. I'll try to absorb this but it is very confusing. I'd bet dollars to donuts if you asked 100 prospective buyers the nitty-gritty details, like we're exploring here, you wouldn't find 2 who understood it. I'm among the 98 who clearly don't. I think a video by SO demonstrating how their systems and pack bags integrate and don't integrate would be very useful to prospective buyers.

If I clearly knew what the devil was going on, I would be more likely to buy a second or even third bag which would mean additional sales for SO and a bag for my every need. As it is, I'm throwing in the towel, in spite of the heroic efforts of everyone above, and buying a single backpack. Too bad because that's a lose/lose when it could have been a win/win.

I’ve pondered a brooks seek pack for my guiding. Maybe teach this old dog a new trick. Tried to follow this thread. This is a mess. I can’t keep any of this straight. No field test opportunities, no try it return it if it sucks, no store to go look at them, no way I’m risking the money on a system I can’t understand online. I’ll just stick with the system I have.