Kifaru duplex vs Stone Glacier X-curve

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a duplex frame with the reckoning bag. The SG sky talus with xcurve frame has got my eye. I’m wanting a bigger pack than the reckoning and I’m torn between just getting the fulcrum pack and use my frame or just to ease my curiosity trying the sky talus with the xcurve frame. I was wondering if some of you have actually tried both and could give me the pro’s and con’s of both. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
I have both. They are both great but also different at the same time. The Duplex feels more stable probably due to the full frame sheet. The Stone Glacier feels more sleek and is definitely more comfortable with lighter day type loads. It is very hard for me to tell the difference, comfort wise, between the two with 50-70ish lb loads. I feel like once you get over that 80ish lb mark they all just feel heavy but would say maybe, maybe the Duplex is very very slightly more "comfortable" at those weights. I dont care for any of the bags in the Kifaru line up and the Sky 5900 is my favorite out of the probably dozen I have used. So, long story short, I am running my Stone Glacier and loaned my Kifaru to my hunting partner.

OP
DWhitt

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. They are both great but also different at the same time. The Duplex feels more stable probably due to the full frame sheet. The Stone Glacier feels more sleek and is definitely more comfortable with lighter day type loads. It is very hard for me to tell the difference, comfort wise, between the two with 50-70ish lb loads. I feel like once you get over that 80ish lb mark they all just feel heavy but would say maybe, maybe the Duplex is very very slightly more "comfortable" at those weights. I dont care for any of the bags in the Kifaru line up and the Sky 5900 is my favorite out of the probably dozen I have used. So, long story short, I am running my Stone Glacier and loaned my Kifaru to my hunting partner.

So you don’t think the xcurve frame is going “backwards “ From the duplex?

bmart2622

WKR
Not at all. They are very similar in design and comfort. Kifaru has a very large and loyal following on this site so sometimes its hard to get a truly objective review. They are both very well built, both made in the USA, both have phenomenal customer service and both very comfortable. It comes down to what you like and what you look for in a pack and unless you have a funky body type they will both be comfortable.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
I actually feel like the x curve is more comfortable once I get over 50 lbs. With just camp on, there isn't enough weight to force the belt down onto the hips, and I get just a tinge of pain in my midback, like I used to get at all weights with my old Cabela's external frame. Certainly don't get that with light daypack though, and don't get it with 70-115. What I haven't tried yet for the lighter weights, but have thought about during my last trip, is moving the movable strip of lumbar padding up, just for lighter loads, to force the belt down lower on my hips when the fattest part of lumbar padding is in the deepest part of my back. In any event, I can't say enough good about my sg, and forewent trying to find some way to test out a kifaru before purchasing the sg just because the sg bag options are too perfect. I went with the 6900. I pack pretty compact, but some luxury items (eg, 20 deg down bag compresses to only 7L, though also brought the seek titanium pack stove, and helinox chair zero), and completely fill the main bag with camp, food, clothing, and possibles for 3-5 days, though, with 3l bladder run inside. Optics and associated, bugle tube, quick access layers and other items and snacks run in side pockets and top pouch. Bow strapped on, or rifle in their special rifle carrier. TP, diaphragms, and windicator in a single belt pouch. I had originally thought about the 6200 to be more streamlined, but I'm damn glad to have the big side pockets now that I'm actually running it in the field.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both and IMO both are great options. I have used Kifaru for 6 years but wanted to try the SG simply for their bag options. I liked the looks of them better than the Kifaru. Both are very comfortable. The SG feels sleeker to me. I haven't hauled more than 80# in each. Both handled that weight just fine for me though. The one thing I like about the Kifaru over the SG is the belt. The K belt has two "levers" that you pull and it loosens the belt without having to unbuckle it. Yet it still holds tight under weight. The SG is very secure under weight as well but I couldn't get it loosened without unbuckling it first. Maybe I'm missing something on the SG but that was my experience. Another small thing but I liked the water bottle holder on Kifaru better than SG. But I like the rifle holder better on the SG. Like I said both are great. At this moment I'm going back to the Kifaru system. I am having Adam at Rugged Stitching make me a day pack for my Duplex that I'm pretty excited to use.

OP
DWhitt

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I definitely like the sky talus bag over the fulcrum but I love my reckoning but need something a tad bit bigger. I might just try the SG and I’ll make my mind up and sell which one I don’t like the best.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Im sort of in the same situation, I have the Fulcrum on a 28"tactical frame and it is awesome for sure, it handles heavy loads like a champ and served me well last moose season.

However, Im interested in getting a stone glacier pack for sheep/goat hunting to save a bit of weight and I also like the way they work in bivy mode, I wont be selling my Kifaru but Im interested in trying both of them side by side as well as having different packs for different endeavors. I may just get the SG Solo to try the frame out and if I like it, I could upgrade to the sky Talus later on.

That being said, I have no attachment to my Kifaru pack so if the SG is really better, then I could go that way.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both and IMO both are great options. I have used Kifaru for 6 years but wanted to try the SG simply for their bag options. I liked the looks of them better than the Kifaru. Both are very comfortable. The SG feels sleeker to me. I haven't hauled more than 80# in each. Both handled that weight just fine for me though. The one thing I like about the Kifaru over the SG is the belt. The K belt has two "levers" that you pull and it loosens the belt without having to unbuckle it. Yet it still holds tight under weight. The SG is very secure under weight as well but I couldn't get it loosened without unbuckling it first. Maybe I'm missing something on the SG but that was my experience. Another small thing but I liked the water bottle holder on Kifaru better than SG. But I like the rifle holder better on the SG. Like I said both are great. At this moment I'm going back to the Kifaru system. I am having Adam at Rugged Stitching make me a day pack for my Duplex that I'm pretty excited to use.

Hijack!!! Please post pics of the day pack when you get it.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
the x-curve frame has the 2 belt pulls on it now. there krux frame has the single pull. I have the krux and its a great frame but i may be switching to the x-curve because they decided to put the 2 pull system on this belt.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
the x-curve frame has the 2 belt pulls on it now. there krux frame has the single pull. I have the krux and its a great frame but i may be switching to the x-curve because they decided to put the 2 pull system on this belt.

It kicks ass. I'd totally do it :)

amp713

WKR
I'm hoping to try the sky archer with x curve soon to replace my EMR on bikini frame