Bigger guys and back packs.

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Need some advice, a buddy of mine is going out west this year elk hunting. Ive been training with him (hiking up and down mountains with packs on), he's a bigger guy 5'10" 270lbs, in good shape but has a gut, the problem he is having is keeping the waist belt above his hips, tried 2 packs so far and each one slides down over his hip flexors, any advice you can provide to stop this from happening?

Being a bigger guy who used to have a pretty good gut, you just have to deal with it. There is not much you can do to keep it on your hips. Cinch the waste belt as tight as possible (but lower than usual) but most of the weight will be on the shoulders.

I am not a skinny guy but don't have much of a gut. I do have a friend that does. He actually uses a medium hip belt. That way the pads stop on the sides of his waist and don't wrap around front. Only the thinner belt does so there is no issue of jamming into his hip flexors.

92xj

WKR
Need some advice, a buddy of mine is going out west this year elk hunting. Ive been training with him (hiking up and down mountains with packs on), he's a bigger guy 5'10" 270lbs, in good shape but has a gut, the problem he is having is keeping the waist belt above his hips, tried 2 packs so far and each one slides down over his hip flexors, any advice you can provide to stop this from happening?

He sounds like I used to be before losing weight last year, I was 270 and 5'10" (now 175).
When I was fat, last year, I would just have to place the bag where it needed to be for the pad to ride on the hips, making the buckle snap right over my belly button and just crank it down super tight creating the fat blob second belly between my bag belt and my pants belt. His pants will ride right below the belly hang down and the bag belt will ride above it on the hips and buckle over the bell button. It's not very appealing to the public when you walk down the road, but get enough looks while training and you'll start the belly loss journey.