Exo 3500/5500 volume vs Osprey Aether 70

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with the exo 3500/5500 and how it compares to an Osprey Aether 70 in terms of size/volume. I have used the Aether 70 for many years and I am looking to upgrade into a hunting specific pack. Its hard to translate cubic inches into real world packing. All I can really compare it to is my current pack. (Osprey site does not not specify if CI rating is main bag or main and accessory pockets etc) I like the idea of being streamlined and taking the smallest pack I can get away with, but also don't want to pigeon hole myself with a small bag. I'm looking to be able to spend 5-6 days out. Hunting blacktail and in the near future goats. Thanks

I have an Exo 5500, and my girlfriend used an Aether 60 last year (she liked that copper colored pack). This year, she's using the Exo 5500, and has commented that it is a more comfortable pack than the Osprey. For what your describing, I'd get as big a pack as possible, 'cause like I've said before, you can always compress unused space, but once your pack is full, you're done.

twall13

WKR
I've owned both the 3500 and 5500. There is literally no difference in size once they are in daypack mode compressed to the frame. The 5500 compacts down to a really streamlined package but has the extra room when you need it. I could get 4-5 days max out of the 3500 without using the load shelf area and that was pushing it. If you are an ultralight guy you can probably do a bit more but most people will have a 4-5 day max with the 3500. That said, if you wanted to use the load shelf you could stick a dry bag with food in it and really gain some extra volume. I found that I liked the idea of using the load shelf in theory more than in practice but everyone is different so go with what appeals to you. I sold my 3500 and now use the 5500 for most trips combined with a 2000 for trips where I'm not backpacking in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wondered about my wife’s osprey rated at 50 liters. I took a common 13 gallon (49.21 liters)trash bag filled with soft items and put it in the main compartment. Pretty darn close.

get the 5500.
i have the 3500, hunting partner has the 5500.. like said above, in daypack mode you wouldnt tell the difference between the two.
i wish i would have done the 5500...but the flipside is the 3500 makes me pack smarter

Liters X ~60 = Cubic inches. I have an Aether 70 (4200 cu in) also and its a great backpacking pack, plenty of space for up to a week depending on if you're sharing gear or not. I dont know if Osprey considers the lid and side/front pockets, but I would definitely go 5500 for what you want. I went with a Kifaru pack, but went a bit bigger than my Osprey and have been happy with it.

From my experience, the hunting packs are generally more 'tubular' since they are on a frame. The Aether has a 'curved bag' since the frame is more internal.

I have an exo 3500 and my wife has the 50 L osprey. I have also backpacked with people using the 70 L. As far as bag volume goes, the 3500 is pretty equal (maybe a little bigger) to the 70 L osprey. The exo has way more storage if you start to consider the meat shelf area and external compression straps.

My gear set is pretty ultralight and narrowed down, and I would probably max out bag space in the 3500 around 6 days. Any longer than that, and I would need to put gear in the meatshelf area. I am happy with my choice of the 3500, but the majority of my trips are 2-3 days. If my usual trip was over 6 days, I would go with the 5500.

Either way, an exo will be way more comfortable than your old osprey with a heavy load!

HeadnWest

WKR
I did a 7 day elk hunt with the 3500. I was right at 40 lbs. It was tight, but like others said before the 3500 makes you pack smarter and leave behind gear that you really don't need. You can always utilize the space between the frame and the bag for more room as well.