Reckoning vs fulcrum

92xj

WKR
Does anyone know the dimensions of the reckoning main bag, without the side pockets compared to the fulcrum main bag without the wings? I hate compressing side pockets or wings but feel the fulcrum might be a little big for me. I feel like the main bag of the reckoning is a little smaller than the fulcrum and the perfect size for me, but the side pockets will be pointless because I don't want to compress anything in them, like tripod, aluminum poles, spotter. What I would give for a reckoning main bag with the fulcrum wing and strap setup.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure on the exact specs but what's wrong with the little extra space of the fulcrum. I am sure the weight penalty is minimal and the space is there if you need it. The bag compresses very well.

Live2hunt custom shelters

I think the mountain warrior sounds like what your looking for. Just going from memory but I think it’s a similar size bag with center zip and no big wings, but I may be way off lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Compression on the side pockets has not been an issue for me at all with the reckoning. I keep one side loose enough to slide a pair of trekking poles in and out of as needed. No issues.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

the beauty of the reckoning is that the compression straps for the main bag and the side pockets work independently of each other. tightening the main bag does not affect the side pockets as they have there own compression straps.

ahlgringo

WKR
the beauty of the reckoning is that the compression straps for the main bag and the side pockets work independently of each other. tightening the main bag does not affect the side pockets as they have there own compression straps.

This, love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they go over the top of the side pockets. So, if you have some weight in the main bag and want to secure it tight to the frame- whatever you have in the side pockets gets squished down. I agree with the OP- I have a reckoning and would be tickled pink if the straps had the ability to run under the side pockets.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR

Not exactly though, correct?
If you have a quarter on the meat shelf and need it compressed as tight as possible, you have to compress the main bag 3 straps, plus the side pockets compression straps in order to secure the load to the frame. No way to do that and leave the side pocket compression straps loose, is there?

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
But they go over the top of the side pockets. So, if you have some weight in the main bag and want to secure it tight to the frame- whatever you have in the side pockets gets squished down. I agree with the OP- I have a reckoning and would be tickled pink if the straps had the ability to run under the side pockets.

Yes, that would be awesome.
I really just don't want to compress tightly down on the spotter, aluminum tent poles, tripod, etc that are stored in the side pockets when I am really trying to tighten everything up when carrying heave meat loads.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I'm not sure on the exact specs but what's wrong with the little extra space of the fulcrum. I am sure the weight penalty is minimal and the space is there if you need it. The bag compresses very well.

Live2hunt custom shelters

It's just space I will never use and don't really want to run around 100% of the time with a compressed main bag or floppy bag. I know everyone says, buy bigger than you think you will ever need. But I just don't see the need ever for that size volume main bag for the things I do now.
I run a Woodsman with a rolltop pod under it right now and live very comfortably out of that set up for 5-7 days. I have a side pocket for the spotter and stuff that sits over top of the woodsman compression straps, so they never get squeezed or have pressure applied to them, even when compressing the mess out of the bag to hold loads on the meat shelf.
It might never be an issue compressing those side pockets and everything may stand up to it fine, but my brain just cant wrap my head around that thought yet.

jlsteel

FNG
How about an argali or tahr with spotting scope pocket on the back. You can compress the main bag all you want and still have full access to the spotting scope pocket. I plan on changing from an amr to argali

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
That stupid center zip on the Woodsman has me spoiled and I don't want to leave it just yet.
I never would have thought a little zipper would mean so much to me but after running it from backpack trips, to day hikes, to traveling across the country in airports with the wife and infant, that center zip is the shit.

Sadly, Kifaru just took a crapton more money from me and I just ordered a 22" frame to strictly run the woodsman on as my day hunting pack, airline travel and man diaper bag during trips. So, I am now looking at options to outfit the 26" for longer overnighters. For day hunts and load hauling I run a large side pocket on the frame and then a cargo panel with 2 large belt pockets. For day trips and hauling, this set up is great. For overnighters and multimiles in, it's time for a large volume bag...with a center zip.

ahlgringo

WKR
Not exactly though, correct?
If you have a quarter on the meat shelf and need it compressed as tight as possible, you have to compress the main bag 3 straps, plus the side pockets compression straps in order to secure the load to the frame. No way to do that and leave the side pocket compression straps loose, is there?

Have you tried this and had an issue? maybe I am just a simpleton- but- just made 3, 9 mile round trips getting my bull out with quarters carried in main bag (other stuff put into side pockets (2 fronts on the last load- one in main and one on meat shelf). I never found this an issue. I was carrying a spotter as well on first load out- never felt like it was getting smashed- or that the load wasn't rock secure. Again- just my opinion-take it for what its worth

FlyGuy

WKR
Have you tried this and had an issue? maybe I am just a simpleton- but- just made 3, 9 mile round trips getting my bull out with quarters carried in main bag (other stuff put into side pockets (2 fronts on the last load- one in main and one on meat shelf). I never found this an issue. I was carrying a spotter as well on first load out- never felt like it was getting smashed- or that the load wasn't rock secure. Again- just my opinion-take it for what its worth
Agreed. I can't explain to you how it works or why it works, but it works. Just tighten the side compression straps as much or as little as you feel you need to, then crank down on the center. It keeps the load tight against the frame, but it does not compress the load in from the sides (which doesn't help anything anyway). With a load cinched down tight, i can still pull poles in and out of the side pouches and the load isn't shifting. Side pouches are loose, but not floppy loose btw. Maybe an engineer or physics expert can explain the how and why...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Could you just cut a couple of slots and run the straps "thru" the side pockets of the Reckoning?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know the dimensions of the reckoning main bag, without the side pockets compared to the fulcrum main bag without the wings? I hate compressing side pockets or wings but feel the fulcrum might be a little big for me. I feel like the main bag of the reckoning is a little smaller than the fulcrum and the perfect size for me, but the side pockets will be pointless because I don't want to compress anything in them, like tripod, aluminum poles, spotter. What I would give for a reckoning main bag with the fulcrum wing and strap setup.

The Fulcrum is a bigger bag, but not so big that it can't be collapsed super easily. If you want to keep those loads separate then definitely go with the Fulcrum. It works extremely well. I had a load of elk meat in the main bag then my tripod, camera gear and optics in the wing pockets and nothing gets crushed at all. I main bag is bigger... but not that much bigger. I have a video comparing the two on the youtube channel if you haven't seen that already.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
What about a nomad 2 and camp bag in the middle? You get the center zip on the camp bag and the wings don't have to be tightened.

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
I ran into the same dilemma when deciding between the Fulcrum and Reckoning. Yes, the main bag in the Fulcrum was bigger than I needed.... but the wing pockets seemed to be way more useful in daypack mode than the slip pockets on the sides of the Reckoning.
The main bag on the Fulcrum literally compresses flat and allows you to use just the wings as a day pack. And if you only wish to use a small ammount of the main bag there are several options. You can just compress it down and fold the wings over. You can push everything to the very bottom of the main bag, leaving the upper empty and have your wings above a small load. Or you can pinch off the bottom half of the main bag with a compression strap and only load the upper half.
Anyways, I ended up going with the Fulcrum over the Reckoning for those reasons. Plus the fact that the Fulcrum appears to work better as a day pack because those wings are always accessible no matter if the bag is crammed completely full or is folded down flat and completely empty.
But I don't think I would have been unhappy with the Reckoning either....

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
This is my problem also. I have the reckoning but like the idea of the wing pockets with zippers. Thats why im torn by just getting the fulcrum or the stone glacier sky talus 6900 bag which looks like a perfect pack for me

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to start a new thread but figured I would bump this to the top. Just looking for more pros and cons over the two packs.
What do you guys think of the meat (load) shelf idea on the reckoning. How is it for day pack?
I am currently trying to sell my pack and upgrade to one of these two. Im running about 5000 cu in at the moment and its usually plenty of space. I have been looking at the option of having more volume with later season hunts. (in colder weather) and Having more room when camping/hiking with my wife. Last season I used the gen 2 spike camp with gen 2 grab it and found I can haul enough meat on my first trip to make that worth while. Day pack from the road hunting perspective. Adding extras I can make it work for a 2 night outing. In nice weather anyway. But when upgrading to a larger shelter/stove and warmer gear for extended hunts. 5000 cu in seems to disappear pretty quick and I certainly need the pack for day mode after the long haul in. My current pack is similar to the reckoning. But I find I lose space when packing the center bag full - on the side slots of the bag. It has a lid but again loading the center bag full makes the lid useless and crushes whatever is in it when the bag is full. I also have a harder time packing any meat if I were to pack camp with me. Simply day gear with the meat shelf. But the bag I am running doesn't really have the best ability for this.
Post away from last years experience guys, looking to hear your opinions. I watched plenty of videos, just looking for more. Ill keep digging and scratching my head in the mean time. haha