Got the green light on a new pack! EXO 5500

I finally got the green light from my accountant (wife ;) ) on a new bivy pack. I have been using an older style Badlands 2800 for the last 12 years. Its been a good pack, but its just ok. The fit is not perfect and I have to really be careful of the gear I take and how I pack it, and there are features I do not like. I have normally used it for scouting and archery, but have begun a lot more late season bivy hunts and the lack of storage is showing with the bulkier clothing and shelter requirements. Especially during family trips when I become the beast of burden.....

The features I wanted were: Light weight; storage pockets to organize gear, but not too crazy as to add a bunch of weight; spotting scope and tripod pocket that was easy access; hydration pouch; main bag to stuff my gear into simplifying packing on the fly; able to pack an animal out along with my gear (eg not having to hang all my stuff sacks on the outside of the pack); and a neutral color for blending in with hikers during fishing and family trips.

I have been deliberating over the last few months between the top three, Kifaru, Stone Glacier and EXO. I think the EXO has the features I want, in the weight and cost I am willing to spend. I was going to get the 3500, but think the 5500 is the better choice for minimal weight gain but more room for my winter clothing and weekend family trips. I am excited to be able to put my sleeping bag and camp into the bag rather than hanging off the bottom of the pack like my Badlands.

I have decided on the 5500, Coyote Brown, with the weapon carrier, an extra mesh pocket and a belt pouch for my left side to put my camera into. I like to keep my right side open for bear spray, a pistol or slinging my rifle depending on needs and area.

I will place the order in the next week or two, this season is almost over for me but I will have it for next years scouts and hunts. Just sharing my excitement!

Good choice. I got the new one for this years hunt. Wore mine for 13 days in horrible weather in ID and it was awesome. You will be very pleased with your choice. I put a holster on the right side for a pistol. Thing I didn't like about that is when taking the bag off you have to be VERY aware of where that panel is pointing otherwise you can easily end up with a loaded pistol pointing right at you when you take it off :-/ Please note this is not a failing of the pack, this would be the case with any backpack, it was just something I had to be aware of at all times.

dotman

WKR
Good idea on going 5500 over 3500, will not notice a difference when compressed.

boom

WKR
funny..my first real hunting pack was also a BL2800! while i didnt love it..it was very good. i've carried more animals with that thing than all the ultrapacks i own combines. i was apparently a better hunter back then..hahah..

congrats on the new pack!! i am not familiar with that one..but it was on my hit-list as well.

OP
F
I just had a conversation with my buddies the other day about that, does gear make the hunter? We all own top brand gear now, hunt with expensive rifles, have top name boots.....yet we killed more animals with our army surplus cotton gear than our top name gear. Dragging deer out behind my 5 dollar camo bark cotton fanny pack, with more holes sewn up on it than original fabric. Was it skill, was it just an earlier time and more animals....I think it was a mix of youth with a lot more determination, lol.

I will keep the 2800 as a leave in the truck meat pack. I can keep it in the truck when I am just hunting with a day pack. We have a lot of dope grows around here, and I always worry about theft when away from the truck. I know the 2800 would still work in a pinch and also make a great loaner pack for friends.

I can not wait to try the pack out this next scouting season. I have been going over all the add on options, but want to keep it simple and light. The dry bag is a neat idea but all my important gear (must stay dry) is in ziplocks and sil-nylon stuff sacks anyways.

HeadnWest

WKR
You won't be disappointed! Great pack. Plenty of room, expands when you want it to, and cinches down to almost nothing when you want it for a day pack.

dariian

FNG
I've been going back and forth between the 3500 and the 5500. The 5500 will still work as a day pack? It'd be nice to have the room if you need it.

OP
F
Everything I have seen and read online state the 5500 will compress to the same size as the 3500 for daypack mode. There is just a small weight penalty for more room.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've been going back and forth between the 3500 and the 5500. The 5500 will still work as a day pack? It'd be nice to have the room if you need it.

The 5500 packs down very small. If you are debating between the two then get the 5500.

dariian

FNG
Everything I have seen and read online state the 5500 will compress to the same size as the 3500 for daypack mode. There is just a small weight penalty for more room.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Seems worth it then. I might be making the same purchase soon.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some pics of the two side by side. 3500 on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3775.jpg
    IMG_3775.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

HeadnWest

WKR
Will be selling the 3500 from the pic above ^. Sorry that is my other account. I am switching over to this one. 7 days with the pack, no blood. keeping the 5500, my "buddy" was going to take the 3500 and never came through with the cash.

I just got my 3500 in Friday. That thing compresses down to nothing! Instead of letting the straps dangle everywhere, I went and bought a roll of Velcro wrap and made strap keepers. The bag is very clean and sleek compressed down with all the straps rolled up.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get the 5500 myself.
Will be a nice change to have a real pack.

R

Shaverdan

FNG
I'll be getting an exo pack this year for the 2018 season, at first I was hesitant because I was leaning towards a more budget friendly option but I think the value is there to buy quality once and be done with it. Also I figure I haven't paid a dime for the hunt the back country podcast and that has entertained me for hours along with teaching me a ton. I am going to wait a bit though because i saw exo teasing a new pack on their facebook page. I'll wait and see what that's about before I pull the trigger

Put the first couple training hikes on the exo. I am very pleased with it so far. The frame supports the load wonderfully with plenty of articulation in the hips. My back is happy I bought it.

HeadnWest

WKR
I'll be getting an exo pack this year for the 2018 season, at first I was hesitant because I was leaning towards a more budget friendly option but I think the value is there to buy quality once and be done with it. Also I figure I haven't paid a dime for the hunt the back country podcast and that has entertained me for hours along with teaching me a ton. I am going to wait a bit though because i saw exo teasing a new pack on their facebook page. I'll wait and see what that's about before I pull the trigger

What FB post were they teasing a new pack?

Shaverdan

FNG
october 4th post

"Our friends at Pure Elevation Productions leaked this image of a super-secret prototype pack that not only makes loads feel lighter, but truly makes them defy gravity. Be on the lookout for more details on the 2018 Exo Zero-G (zero gravity) to be released soon."

as I look at it now maybe it was a joke? Picture makes it look like the pack is floating I just scrolled past it quickly when it was in my feed

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
october 4th post

"Our friends at Pure Elevation Productions leaked this image of a super-secret prototype pack that not only makes loads feel lighter, but truly makes them defy gravity. Be on the lookout for more details on the 2018 Exo Zero-G (zero gravity) to be released soon."

as I look at it now maybe it was a joke? Picture makes it look like the pack is floating I just scrolled past it quickly when it was in my feed

That was a joke.