Kifaru Wear and Tear

To start this thread, so that nobody gets their panties in a wad, I love my pack and I'm not complaining. But after three years of use and abuse, my pack is in need of some TLC. I don't necessarily attribute it to the pack, mostly to the fact that I'm not very kind to my gear. Here's what needs to be fixed:
Waist belt needs replaced. Inner liner is separating from the outer material, and has holes worn through inside. Even worse, where the shoulder strap sews on, the attachment points are tearing out completely.
Some broken hardware. The plastic attachment for the delta strap broke on one side. One 1" buckle broke. Nothing too crazy.
Cordura on the frame is worn through from packing antler. Doesn't affect the functionality of it as far as I can tell.

Anyone else experienced similar wear and tear, or something different? The only thing that I think needs to be modified is the attachment of the shoulder strap to the waist belt, it seems like a major weak point to me. I'm planning to replace the belt and keep using this frame. I'll probably end up with a 24" and a Reckoning too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MattBC

FNG
One of the sternum strap buckles broke on my pack as well. Tough to say how long the duplex frame will last, I've packed out some big loads with it. The KU5200 sure didn't last long, can't see how that pack made it from research and development thru to a saleable product with how easy it falls apart.

OP
PathFinder
Kifaru will take care of you, crap happens :)
I don't doubt that they will. I figure it's just a matter of normal wear really. I'm planning to just pay for what it needs. The only thing I'm not in love with is that attachment point to the belt from the shoulder steps.

I bought a used pack off here that had those points torn loose. I called Kifaru and offered to pay to have it replaced. They told me it wouldn't be cost effective and I should just buy a new belt. It took about 10 minutes for me to fix it on a sewing machine.

Either way, buy the new belt. You'll get the new power pulls and the newer stronger shoulder strap attachments.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

dotman

WKR
I bought a used pack off here that had those points torn loose. I called Kifaru and offered to pay to have it replaced. They told me it wouldn't be cost effective and I should just buy a new belt. It took about 10 minutes for me to fix it on a sewing machine.

Either way, buy the new belt. You'll get the new power pulls and the newer stronger shoulder strap attachments.

That doesn't make sense as warranty should have covered that, last I checked shipping was pretty cheap.

Mine had stitching pull loose around belt area. But I was packing +60 lbs and swinging it to get in it. Then I watched a video of Patrick demonstrating how to dive into the second shoulder strap with pack rested on knees.
But I had already done the damage, so I just sewed on my own machine.
Never had another problem.
I have the newest duplex as well as an older one.

When these things are loaded, and I mean really loaded, there is a ton of tension put on certain areas when I try to get the pack on, if I am not on a hill to use or something like a table. I am amazed they hold up long at all.

I was at another vendors traveling tour with their packs, asked if I could look at one of their packs, went to the 7000 size, looked at the frame, belt, stitching and immediately put it back on the rack.

I have not seen others work like SG or Exo.....
And I don't plan to- yes I am a Kifaru fan boy - mock me

These are just that good for what I put them thru

That doesn't make sense as warranty should have covered that, last I checked shipping was pretty cheap.
All I know is they wouldn't cover it or even repair it. He said it would take too long to take the belt apart and then resew the straps back on. I didn't expect them to cover it, which is why I offered to pay for the repair. Either way, I didn't buy a belt. I understand what he meant by taking the belt apart to repair because of where the padding is. I simply moved the strap over an inch and sewed it on.
0ee06dce8f58da60955fc1c9ac722220.jpg

No harm, no foul....I don't think any less of kifaru. I still have that frame and ended up purchasing a 26" new version. Used off Rokslide of course.

OP
PathFinder
Thanks for the info. I'm stoked that they updated the attachment point, I've got no problem with buying a new belt in that case.