Empty PAck weight

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This isnt a thread about bashing or worshipping any company, just something that I've been thinking about for a few days that has been bothering me a bit and Im looking for other peoples opinions.

Over the years, I had lots of packs some "hunting" packs, others were for climbing or mountaineering but all fell short of what I was ultimatly looking for, I must have gone through a dozen packs in as many years. Finally Last summer, I decided to invest in a real pack and I ended up with a Kifaru Fulcrum. The Fulcrum is more or less everything I could want in a pack. It packs down small, its huge when you expand it, it hauls weight like nobodies business and its very comfortable.

This past season, I hauled out 2 moose with it (one mine and one was my buddies) as well as carried it on a sheep hunt (we were unsuccessful). The pack worked great and had all the features I want but last night I decide to weigh the pack, the Fulcrum pack with a 28" tactical frame, 4 medium pockets and a water bottle holder is damn near 10lbs.

10lbs.

Lately we have been planning on some serious sheep and goat trips for next year and weight is an issue. I see that Stone Glacier packs are like 4lbs +/-. Basically, I could drop 5lbs right there. This isnt like my Kimber Montana rifle where I could have spent another 500-600 dollars and saved 5 oz with a mountain ascent, this is 5 lbs.

Has anybody dropped to a lighter pack like this and had regrets? has anybody changed from a stone glacer to a Kifaru and been happy with the switch??? does anybody own both and just use them for different things???

I love this kifaru pack but the ~5lb weight difference is sort of hard to swallow.

thoughts? opinions?

thanks!!!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
To be clear, Im NOT getting rid of my Kifaru, just wondering if its worth adding a Stone Glacier to the stable for sheep and goat hunting.

Stid2677

WKR
I switched from my Kifaru EMRII to a Stone Glacier Xkurve frame and Sky 7400 bag for sheep. I have no regrets, IMHO the Kifaru is a bit "over built" for a sheep hunt. I did miss the extra room and ease of loading, but I did not miss the extra lbs and the SG belt fits and stays put better.

I like to describe it like this, the Kifaru packs are like a 1 ton truck,, great when you are hauling a heavy load, but maybe not the best choice for a run in which all the extra durability and strength is not needed.

Steve

Russp17

WKR
I have a barneys pack which I use for moose hunting... and stone glacier pack I use for everything else. The stone glacier has packed out two goats, a black bear, a sheep and two caribou in the last few years and I have no regrets. It isn't quite as comfortable with 120 lbs on your back, but in my opinion nothing is comfortable with a 120 lbs on your back. The weight savings the rest of the time is really nice.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a EMR 2 and a Stone Glacier. I loaned my SG to a buddy on a sheep hunt and it got a hole in it but they fixing it of course no questions. My EMR 2 I have used to haul a few dozen critters off the mountain since I got it in the spring of 2014 and doesn't have a hole one in it.

The SG is lighter no doubt. It also carries a bit better on my waist with the X Curve frame it seems. I do enjoy having both and they both have their place. However VERY few people are going to wish to have a closet full of 400-800 backpacks. If I could only have one the EMR 2 would be hands down just from my limited experience of less than a year with mine and the SG durability thus far. That said I look forward to continue to use my SG.

I switched from my Kifaru EMRII to a Stone Glacier Xkurve frame and Sky 7400 bag for sheep. I have no regrets, IMHO the Kifaru is a bit "over built" for a sheep hunt. I did miss the extra room and ease of loading, but I did not miss the extra lbs and the SG belt fits and stays put better.

I pretty much did the same thing as Steve except I went from a Kifaru DT1 to a Stone Glacier 7400 w/Krux frame then to a XCurve frame. My reasoning had more to do with the fact that I couldn’t get the DT1 to fit me properly under heavy loads and I wanted a better fitting frame. I like the way the SG Krux frame fit, but I like the fit of the XCurve even better. The fact that I lost a little over 4 pounds was just icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd have to weigh my MR setup (guidelight frame, daypack, three belt pouches) but I think its <6lb which is about 3lb less than the NICE with the load lifters on it. I have and use both but don't regret the guidelight in most cases (I find it perfectly comfortable hauling 75lb while training). Main thing is I need to make sure a couple straps are tightened that didn't matter on the NICE and also in some cases I like the 21.5" frame height on the NICE with load lifters down so nothing is behind my head (day hunt stalking w/o a heavy load).

I do have interest in trying out an xcurve as well.

In the last two years I've ran an EXO 3500, Mystery Ranch Metcalf, and SG Solo 3300. The only pack I still have is the SG and empty pack weight was definitely an important factor. I liked the fit of the Metcalf but the was almost a 2 pound difference between that and the SG...that's basically the difference between packing my shelter or not. If you're spending a significant amount of money making your kit lighter, 2 pounds in a backpack is a huge win.

I'm not a backpack hunter, just a wannabe. I have only packed around turkey hunting and goofing off. My thought is this: if you are looking to shave weight, but you know your pack will handle anything that is thrown at it, why spend the money to shave that weight when you can hit the gym or change your diet and drop a couple pounds? I've dropped about 20 lbs since February so that I don't have to worry about the small differences in pack weight when I finally get the chance to hit the mountains. You can keep your strength up and trim down, therefore negating the need to spend money to lighten your load.

Now, if you're already at 8% body fat and in great shape, drop the coin on a lighter pack.

Stid2677

WKR
I'm not a backpack hunter, just a wannabe. I have only packed around turkey hunting and goofing off. My thought is this: if you are looking to shave weight, but you know your pack will handle anything that is thrown at it, why spend the money to shave that weight when you can hit the gym or change your diet and drop a couple pounds? I've dropped about 20 lbs since February so that I don't have to worry about the small differences in pack weight when I finally get the chance to hit the mountains. You can keep your strength up and trim down, therefore negating the need to spend money to lighten your load.

Now, if you're already at 8% body fat and in great shape, drop the coin on a lighter pack.

Most that have gotten to this point in weight savings have done all the above. I know it is hard for many to fully understand a long range remote hunt.

Think about it like this.... We all have the max we can lift,, when you reach that point,, a pound makes a difference,, several pounds can mean the difference of being able to shoulder a pack or NOT.

Another issue not often dealt with by most is the weight restriction for Super Cub hunts,, 50 lbs is all that most allow in the rear cargo area. 4 or 5 pounds is a bunch when you are talking about 50 lbs total. That is a nice shelter, more food, more fuel,, more time hunting.......

A backpacker can spend a fortune trying to get a 75 or 80 pound pack down to 45 or 50.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I agree that for some people thats the answer, I used to work in a bicycle shop and I had similar thoughts when people were asking me to weigh bikes and talking about spending an extra thousand dollars to save 1/4 to 1/2 lb on a bike when they could have trimmed down a bit so Im not trying to put your idea down.

However, I am sitting around 9% bf, Im serious about my strength training and general fitness so dropping 5lbs of body weight isnt really the answer for me. Like the other poster above said, 5 lbs is signifigant when flying or packing in for several days.

Congrats on dropping 20lbs though, thats epic and I bet you are noticing huge differences in how you feel when you're in the mountains and working out.

fatbacks

WKR
I have been using a 10 year old Mystery Ranch G7000... just like the Kifaru, it is a total workhorse and I love it because it is rock steady when I add an entire sheep to my full kit. That said, the pack weighs some 8-9 lbs and I'm considering adding a lighter pack to my kit. Like Stid said,dropping this last 5-10 lbs off my kit is going to cost some $$$$. After reading above posts, looks like I'll have to budget some change for a new pack :D

I kinda walked down your path this last year. I had a 26" hunter frame and was running a reckoning with a ton of pockets plus a lid this spring. I went up a trail in Montana with my pack weight around 70 lbs. After that trip everything was on the chopping block. And base pack weight was a priority.
You gotta be careful with accessorizing a kifaru cause you can add a bunch of weight real quick. (lesson I learned the hard way)
Hunter frame drops a few oz over tactical = -9oz
Argali bag over a fulcrum = -20oz
drop 3 belt pouches = -9oz
Drop gid lid (if you have one) = -12 oz
That would be 50 oz right there.
My setup right now is just a hair under 6lbs and I could probably go lighter. But whats really nice about it is I can add more pockets or lids if I want to. Or I go ultralight if I want to. So its very versatile.
The fulcrum, reckoning and AMR get way more love but I'm really digging my argali right now after how it performed this fall.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
This isnt a thread about bashing or worshipping any company, just something that I've been thinking about for a few days that has been bothering me a bit and Im looking for other peoples opinions.

Over the years, I had lots of packs some "hunting" packs, others were for climbing or mountaineering but all fell short of what I was ultimatly looking for, I must have gone through a dozen packs in as many years. Finally Last summer, I decided to invest in a real pack and I ended up with a Kifaru Fulcrum. The Fulcrum is more or less everything I could want in a pack. It packs down small, its huge when you expand it, it hauls weight like nobodies business and its very comfortable.

This past season, I hauled out 2 moose with it (one mine and one was my buddies) as well as carried it on a sheep hunt (we were unsuccessful). The pack worked great and had all the features I want but last night I decide to weigh the pack, the Fulcrum pack with a 28" tactical frame, 4 medium pockets and a water bottle holder is damn near 10lbs.

10lbs.

Lately we have been planning on some serious sheep and goat trips for next year and weight is an issue. I see that Stone Glacier packs are like 4lbs +/-. Basically, I could drop 5lbs right there. This isnt like my Kimber Montana rifle where I could have spent another 500-600 dollars and saved 5 oz with a mountain ascent, this is 5 lbs.

Has anybody dropped to a lighter pack like this and had regrets? has anybody changed from a stone glacer to a Kifaru and been happy with the switch??? does anybody own both and just use them for different things???

I love this kifaru pack but the ~5lb weight difference is sort of hard to swallow.

thoughts? opinions?

thanks!!!
I was in your shoes not too long ago. Sold my fulcrum after this year's sheep hunt. Kept the frame however and now run a smaller bag with less pockets. I am definitely an ounce counter, but after running many inferior packs I have decided the kifaru frame works best for me. My trusty mystery ranch pack is lighter but doesn't haul a heavy load as well in my opinion and a few other packs over the years have broken carbon fiber frames, or blown out straps. I bought lighter equipment to put in the pack to offset the weight. My base pack weight is roughly 27 lbs with rifle. I still have plenty if wiggle room for food, clothing, etc.. what I have found is most people pack too much clothing on back country hunts. I would look at what your typical pack list is and see if there is weight to trim.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to go super light and stick with the Kifaru, just get a cargo net and a meat bag or camp bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10lbs.

thoughts? opinions?

thanks!!!

First of all- the Fulcrum is like the heaviest by about 1/2 lb of all Kifaru bags in this size.
Then add all the extras and you quickly increase to a noticeable weight gain.

Also you didn't say if the Tactical frame was with regular stays, or composite ? That's another 1/2 lb I believe.

I have not seen the SG but am wondering if it, size wise, is more comparable to a Kifaru 24" ?
The weight difference between the Kifaru 24 " and 26" is also close to another 1/2 lb
Add in the water bottle holder and pouches and that is another lb there
Add all these up just on the Kifaru side and there is 2.5 - 3 lbs

When its all said and done the Kifaru and the SG of your specs is only about 2lb weight difference- which in some eyes is still a penalty not able to want- for others, its the penalty for a stronger more rigid set up?