Empty PAck weight

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd have to weigh my MR setup (guidelight frame, daypack, three belt pouches) but I think its <6lb which is about 3lb less than the NICE with the load lifters on it. I have and use both but don't regret the guidelight in most cases (I find it perfectly comfortable hauling 75lb while training). Main thing is I need to make sure a couple straps are tightened that didn't matter on the NICE and also in some cases I like the 21.5" frame height on the NICE with load lifters down so nothing is behind my head (day hunt stalking w/o a heavy load).

I do have interest in trying out an xcurve as well.

6.03lb for frame, day pack, PALS sleeves and 3 belt pouches.

3k2v9Gwl.jpg

frankrb3

WKR
The Xcurve is great. I was running an old crew cab (>8lbs empty) before i switched to the xcurve with the R3 bag. I shaved almost 4 lbs off of empty bag weight and find the xcurve frame to be much more comfortable. I still have my crew cab for certain applications. I sounds like you already know that it would be worth it to add a lightweight frame and bag to your options like the stone glacier setup while keeping your fulcrum for other uses. No regrets here.

Bcole82

FNG
I wouldn’t worry about how much your pack weighs, just worry about how it packs weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I wouldn’t worry about how much your pack weighs, just worry about how it’s pack weight.

Having done most the hunts with my wife where we split the weight generally 65%/35% or so rather than when I go with other guys where its 50/50 I have become less and less concerned with extra 5 to even 10 pounds of pack weight. It just is what it is. A 8 pound EMR 2 vs a 4.5-5 pound SG just isn't a huge deal to me. Fit is much more important than a few pounds of pack weight. Pack weight is one of the places I don't mind splurging a bit if it works. Now my 11 pound MR pack that didn't carry real well, upgrading to a lighter pack that actually fit well was a no brainer as I was saving weight while gaining comfort with the load.

Thus far for me it appears my EMR 2 is heavier yes, but carries great and is hell for stout and has seen little to no wear (other than it currently stinks something fierce from another year of hauling over a dozen animals). The SG by comparison has been a total of 14 days in the field this year and it carries just as well for me but is lighter by 3 pounds or so, but already has a hole in it.

It just comes down to how much those extra pounds of weight savings are worth durability really. As someone mentioned earlier in the backpacking world $600-$700 to save 3 pounds is a bargain and a half for sure! But at the cost of durability? Thats whats so great about so many great packs on the market to choose from. Guys and pick and choose which features matter the most to them. I used to even just 2-3 years ago be wrapped around the handle on what the bottom line of my pack weight was when I left for the field. Anymore I just toss what I know I need in and go. Am I hauling some extra pounds that a lot of guys packing more spartan and running cuben shelters and half length pads and 4 pound hunting packs? Certainly, but in the end it just means I need to either get in better shape and/or take a few more breaks and such. I have grown to learn and extra 5-10 pounds on my pack isn't going to make or break a backpack hunt for me. We all would still be out there hunting if all we had was the gear that was offered even just 30 years....not as comfortable sure, but its not gonna keep us from going out there and doing what we love to do. ;)

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for all the replies guys, I agree with pretty much everybody here but for different reasons. I think theres probably more to it than just weight, I mean what good is a stone glacier pack if I cant make it fit right? (although I havnt really heard that complaint).

Like Luke said, get in better shape, pack petter and the kifaru pack is hell for stout. Absolutely and thats why Im not looking to get rid of it. For non fly-in situations and bigger animals its the ticket for sure but like stid and AKtroutbum have mentioned, for serious back country, fly-in and real sheep hunting, the SG is likely the ticket.

Im sort of thinking of grabbing an SG Solo and seeing how I like it, I just feel like as long as Im really setting up specialized gear set ups for different types of hunting I may as well bit the bullet, not like you can't sell used packs if they dont work out.

As for the Kifaru Accessories starting to pile up in weight, yeah thats an issue, I dont really feel like I over did it or anything. I have a NAtive lid but I really just use it as a daypack when I go out looking for birds or a carry on when I fly, Ive yet to use it for any big game hunting in conjunction with the fulcrum. I think a few medium pockets is about perfect, I can keep stuff I want quickly on hand, I could axe them but then Id have to find less convienient ways to keep chapstick, snacks, etc handy, same with the nalgene bottle holder, Id buy that anyways for a SG pack if I got one.

Thanks again, still open to more opinions, though!!!

4ester

WKR
Having done most the hunts with my wife where we split the weight generally 65%/35% or so rather than when I go with other guys where its 50/50 I have become less and less concerned with extra 5 to even 10 pounds of pack weight. It just is what it is. A 8 pound EMR 2 vs a 4.5-5 pound SG just isn't a huge deal to me. Fit is much more important than a few pounds of pack weight. Pack weight is one of the places I don't mind splurging a bit if it works. Now my 11 pound MR pack that didn't carry real well, upgrading to a lighter pack that actually fit well was a no brainer as I was saving weight while gaining comfort with the load.

Thus far for me it appears my EMR 2 is heavier yes, but carries great and is hell for stout and has seen little to no wear (other than it currently stinks something fierce from another year of hauling over a dozen animals). The SG by comparison has been a total of 14 days in the field this year and it carries just as well for me but is lighter by 3 pounds or so, but already has a hole in it.

It just comes down to how much those extra pounds of weight savings are worth durability really. As someone mentioned earlier in the backpacking world $600-$700 to save 3 pounds is a bargain and a half for sure! But at the cost of durability? Thats whats so great about so many great packs on the market to choose from. Guys and pick and choose which features matter the most to them. I used to even just 2-3 years ago be wrapped around the handle on what the bottom line of my pack weight was when I left for the field. Anymore I just toss what I know I need in and go. Am I hauling some extra pounds that a lot of guys packing more spartan and running cuben shelters and half length pads and 4 pound hunting packs? Certainly, but in the end it just means I need to either get in better shape and/or take a few more breaks and such. I have grown to learn and extra 5-10 pounds on my pack isn't going to make or break a backpack hunt for me. We all would still be out there hunting if all we had was the gear that was offered even just 30 years....not as comfortable sure, but its not gonna keep us from going out there and doing what we love to do. ;)

Luke,

Curious where you got the hole in the SG?

I’ve packed out probably 2 dozen animals on mine, with many being around 100# and haven’t had an issue?

Both Kifaru and SG both make their packs from 500 Cordura, so similar durability as far as the pack itself?

When they say a pack is bulletproof, they don’t mean literally. Lol🤣

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I switched from my Kifaru EMRII to a Stone Glacier Xkurve frame and Sky 7400 bag for sheep. I have no regrets, IMHO the Kifaru is a bit "over built" for a sheep hunt. I did miss the extra room and ease of loading, but I did not miss the extra lbs and the SG belt fits and stays put better.

I like to describe it like this, the Kifaru packs are like a 1 ton truck,, great when you are hauling a heavy load, but maybe not the best choice for a run in which all the extra durability and strength is not needed.

Steve

Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in!!!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I pretty much did the same thing as Steve except I went from a Kifaru DT1 to a Stone Glacier 7400 w/Krux frame then to a XCurve frame. My reasoning had more to do with the fact that I couldn’t get the DT1 to fit me properly under heavy loads and I wanted a better fitting frame. I like the way the SG Krux frame fit, but I like the fit of the XCurve even better. The fact that I lost a little over 4 pounds was just icing on the cake.

I remember reading a post of yours awhile back talking about making the switch, thats sort of what got me thinking. Thanks for chipping in, the advice is much appreciated.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke,

Curious where you got the hole in the SG?

I’ve packed out probably 2 dozen animals on mine, with many being around 100# and haven’t had an issue?

Both Kifaru and SG both make their packs from 500 Cordura, so similar durability as far as the pack itself?

When they say a pack is bulletproof, they don’t mean literally. Lol🤣

It was on the bottom of the pack...the black part. Couple that with my buddy's that have broke buckles on their such. No doubt they are great packs for sure.

The main thing is the OP is comparing the heaviest packbag from Kifaru to a SG. My buddy that borrowed my pack for the sheep hunt (the one that actually put the hole in it) really likes it and I will likely be selling him the bag after it gets repaired.

A more fair comparison would be throwing an Argali on his current frame. A much more streamlined packbag (similar style to the SG style packs) and still plenty of volume. That and only a $215 upgrade to his current setup that will drop 1.5 pounds right there. Just swap packbags around depending on the hunt. I am just not to the point where I need to shave 3-4 pounds to make weight. If my wife and I coudl make the 50 pound limit load on a 17 day (food alone accounted for 51 pounds alone of our 100 pound allotment since we were staying so long) including a bear fence and a liter of vodka, then I am thinking most of our other hunts can be accomplished similarly.

Of course if the Kifaru doesn't fit someone well or wanting to get a new pack frame and setup then by all means.....who am I as a recovery gear junkie to discourage a gear purchase.....pot meet kettle. :)

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
Which Stone Glacier are you looking at that is ~ 4lbs? The Sky 5900 with the X Frame is 5 lbs 8 ounces. A Reckoning with a 26 inch hunting frame is 6lbs 2 ounces.

The idea is that you could switch from a tactical to a hunting frame and have two kifaru bags that you can interchange but it wouldn't be two different complete packs and you would have to spend the same amount of money basically. I can see the reasoning of wanting to have two totally different setups but its important to compare apples to apples.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes 10lbs empty sounds crazy but you have a 28” frame for a reason right? Do you need the tactical version though?

For reference my SG xcurve 6900 with 2 camp pockets 1 swing out pocket, rifle sling and bottle holder is 6 lbs. I wonder how much of that 4 lb difference you could cut by scrutinizing your total pack weight and possibly consider a 26 or 28 hunting frame. Another kifaru frame is way cheaper than a complete SG set up. That extra savings there might allow you for a lighter shelter, sleeping bag,etc.

I agree that for some people thats the answer, I used to work in a bicycle shop and I had similar thoughts when people were asking me to weigh bikes and talking about spending an extra thousand dollars to save 1/4 to 1/2 lb on a bike when they could have trimmed down a bit so Im not trying to put your idea down.

However, I am sitting around 9% bf, Im serious about my strength training and general fitness so dropping 5lbs of body weight isnt really the answer for me. Like the other poster above said, 5 lbs is signifigant when flying or packing in for several days.

Congrats on dropping 20lbs though, thats epic and I bet you are noticing huge differences in how you feel when you're in the mountains and working out.

I get your point, and I wouldn't want to get below an 8-10% body fat either. I can guarantee you know more than I do, so I'll stop offering any opinions and wish you best of luck!

Thanks for the compliment. I used to be a fat kid at 5'9" 235#. 178# feels so much better!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yes 10lbs empty sounds crazy but you have a 28” frame for a reason right? Do you need the tactical version though?

For reference my SG xcurve 6900 with 2 camp pockets 1 swing out pocket, rifle sling and bottle holder is 6 lbs. I wonder how much of that 4 lb difference you could cut by scrutinizing your total pack weight and possibly consider a 26 or 28 hunting frame. Another kifaru frame is way cheaper than a complete SG set up. That extra savings there might allow you for a lighter shelter, sleeping bag,etc.

I have the 28" frame becuse I have a long torso, it was actually reccomended tome by (I believe) Frank when I called and placed my order, I actually like it, it seems to fit well and dosent obstruct my movement at all, nor does it feel tall on me so I think the size is ok. I also went with a tactical frame because I wanted a pack that could handle hauling out moose, bears and hopefully at some point, bison. it just seemed liek the right choice and for what I bought it for, it is.

Now Im just realizing that while its the perfect pack for what I got it for, A lighter setup might make more sense for different types of hunts. I suppose I could look into an Argali or something with a 26" hunting frame from Kifaru, The idea was just that it might be cool to try something different than a Kifaru since I already have one....although that logic has messed me up in the past like when I needed a new semi auto pistol and decided to try something other than a Glock and ended up dissapointed etc.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Which Stone Glacier are you looking at that is ~ 4lbs? The Sky 5900 with the X Frame is 5 lbs 8 ounces. A Reckoning with a 26 inch hunting frame is 6lbs 2 ounces.

The idea is that you could switch from a tactical to a hunting frame and have two kifaru bags that you can interchange but it wouldn't be two different complete packs and you would have to spend the same amount of money basically. I can see the reasoning of wanting to have two totally different setups but its important to compare apples to apples.

The Solo is around 4lbs I believe, I guess I was throwing out rough numbers but the full size pack I was most interested in was the sky talus and I believe its under 6lbs which is stil a savings of 4.xx lbs which is signifigant.

KHNC

WKR
I like my 3-lb Unaweep 4800. Never yet wished it was heavier.

I used to carry a 6-lb ALICE, and a 9-lb ILBE.

I was just about to post this same thing. Unaweep 4800 has done great for me! packed out 3 elk, 2 deer and hauled 100lbs in a train to hunt comp with no issues.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the 28" frame becuse I have a long torso, it was actually reccomended tome by (I believe) Frank when I called and placed my order, I actually like it, it seems to fit well and dosent obstruct my movement at all, nor does it feel tall on me so I think the size is ok. I also went with a tactical frame because I wanted a pack that could handle hauling out moose, bears and hopefully at some point, bison. it just seemed liek the right choice and for what I bought it for, it is.

Now Im just realizing that while its the perfect pack for what I got it for, A lighter setup might make more sense for different types of hunts. I suppose I could look into an Argali or something with a 26" hunting frame from Kifaru, The idea was just that it might be cool to try something different than a Kifaru since I already have one....although that logic has messed me up in the past like when I needed a new semi auto pistol and decided to try something other than a Glock and ended up dissapointed etc.

Sorry I sounded like an *** earlier, poor wording. I was just wondering if that 28 was ideal because the SG is maybe 26. I think you should try it though, sounds like you want to be dialed in like I do.

NoWiser

WKR
It looks to me like you are searching for an excuse to try a Stone Glacier. You won't be happy until you give it a shot so just go ahead and order it now and get it over with!

After last year I was looking for any and all ways to cut down my total weight. I was looking at tents, bags, pads, and all of the normal stuff. I then came to the realization that the cheapest way to cut weight was to sell my Kifaru (which I loved) and give the Stone Glacier a try. After all, my pack is on my back 100% of the time I'm hunting compared to 5% of the time when I'm packing camp in or out. Those ounces lost on the pack were far more valuable than any I'd lose on other gear, as long as the pack still fit well.

Unfortunately I still have a couple of weeks to go before I can really give the Stone Glacier a workout on a hunt, but as of now I'm very happy with the comfort and I love the 5900 bag. Worst case scenario if I don't like it, I sell and go back to Kifaru. At the most I'm out $150.00 but at least I'll know and can sleep easy. Until the next great pack comes out, that is.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sorry I sounded like an *** earlier, poor wording. I was just wondering if that 28 was ideal because the SG is maybe 26. I think you should try it though, sounds like you want to be dialed in like I do.

You didnt sound like an ass at all, I get asked about that 28" tactical frame all the time but its honestly not that big on me, im 6'4 with a long torso so it fits. I could probably have gotten away with a 26" but given this was mostly meant to be a moose hauling pack, we figured some extra lift would be good. Also, after seeing that pic of the kifaru hunting frame folded in half, I figured the tactical would be a nice

gelton

WKR
You didnt sound like an ass at all, I get asked about that 28" tactical frame all the time but its honestly not that big on me, im 6'4 with a long torso so it fits. I could probably have gotten away with a 26" but given this was mostly meant to be a moose hauling pack, we figured some extra lift would be good. Also, after seeing that pic of the kifaru hunting frame folded in half, I figured the tactical would be a nice

Oh wow, do tell...I have been away from the forum for a while...bought a farm and some acreage that required a relocation...I have the old duplex frame and the good ole DT1, but I was thinking of adding a hunter frame and reckoning...where can I find that pic?