Seek Outside vs Exo Mountain Gear

rockmail2

WKR
Hey fellow roksliders! Feel free to direct me to any posts on this topic...I couldn't find any. I'm looking for opinions and information on a comparison between the Seek Outside Revolution frame vs the Exo Mountain Gear K2 frame. I understand that at the end of the day, it comes down to what works best for the individual but I'm still interested in the feedback. Any general opinions or info is welcome. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
No experience with the SO but I did own an Exo frame and really liked it. I now use Exo bags on a Kifaru frame only because I have a long torso and the Kifaru frame is about 2" taller so I get better use out of the load lifters under heavier loads. With 50 lbs or less the way the Exo moves with you is more comfortable but the Kifaru carries heavy loads better, imo. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to own another Exo and I definitely would if their frame was an inch taller. For most guys the Exo frame would be tall enough but if your torso is on the longer side it's not quite as good under heavy loads. I believe Seek Outside has a more adjustable frame option if you fall into that category but again, I have no experience with their products.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
rockmail2

rockmail2

WKR
Great feedback and much appreciated! I've tried out an Exo and while I felt like it was a solid pack, I just wasn't ecstatic about the fit personally. I'm obviously thinking about the Seek Outside but wanted this kind of input first. Thanks again!

OP
rockmail2

rockmail2

WKR
I like that you can adjust the frame length on the Seek Outside as well as the functionality of the "talon"...does anyone have any experience with this?

sndmn11

WKR
I went through Stone Glacier and Kifaru earlier this year, trying out both for about two weeks, and I felt the same way you described when trying on the Exo in not being ecstatic about it. I talked with Kevin on the phone and described what I was looking for and how I felt that was missing in the other two, and he was a good bit of help. I now have a Revolution frame from SO and it is a night an day difference FOR ME in comfort. I started off with a Fortress bag with Talon and Merlin, now I have a Peregrine with Merlin. The Peregrine does not require the Marlin or a Talon at all, but I like having the Merlin to keep my most needed items in. I use the Merlin daily now that my season is over, and the Peregrine on the frame is loaded up as a diaper bag for my incoming first child in a few weeks. I have used it without a lumbar pad, and with a lumbar pad, with the belt in all three adjustments and captured. and I can't make it uncomfortable FOR ME. I have carried a respectable amount of weight and it rides great on me. I like that it doesn't feel like a stiff board on my back, it is functionally well thought out, and with the gatekeepers, it is simple to get in and out of. The two strap hip belt is great as well.

OP
rockmail2

rockmail2

WKR
Awesome feedback and I'm leaning in the S.O. direction. Thanks so much for your input!

I got a SO Broadwing recently, the belt was a little small but when the size large belt shows up I will be putting my exo k2 on the classifieds.

The SO IMO does a better job of stabilizing the load while still being comfortable in day hunt mode. It doesn't feel like a board on your back like a kifaru duplex.

OP
rockmail2

rockmail2

WKR
I got a SO Broadwing recently, the belt was a little small but when the size large belt shows up I will be putting my exo k2 on the classifieds.

The SO IMO does a better job of stabilizing the load while still being comfortable in day hunt mode. It doesn't feel like a board on your back like a kifaru duplex.
Thanks for sharing...and I'm sure you know your Exo will sell quickly! Happy hunting partner!

I have both Exo and SO. Overall they are both very good. Here is my break down of things.

• SO Revolution frame is fantastic if you are tall you will want to go this route.
  • The SO layout is not as good as Exo's. After 2-3 times using the talon I came to dislike it, why is my water bladder on the outside and far away from my back?
  • The material SO used for my bag is neigh indestructible, I am quite reckless with gear, and it is water resistant so no need for an extra anything for rain.
  • The Exo was more comfortable for me on the hips, as I am 6'5 I basically have no load lifters which is kind of an issue. I have done many many miles with the SO loaded down over 80+ lbs, it wasn't a joy but it was very manageable, I have not yet put that much in the Exo.
  • The Exo comes with a lid which is very handy.
  • Fit an finish of the Exo is very high, not saying the SO is bad but damn the Exo is NICELY done.
  • The overall size and layouts are very similar between the two.

My recommendation is if you are near 6'0 or under and just want a bag that flat out works with no thought require, everything is right where it should be and works better than your expectation get the Exo. If you are taller and or like something that is ridiculously rugged and doesn't weight a ton get the SO. In the end you will not go wrong with either.

Seek outside pack bags most definitely are not as feature detailed as other brands. They are simple, but do what they are supposed to do. Carry gear. I like pockets and organization. But WOULD NOT trade the SO comfort for it!!

duchntr

WKR
I have a unaweep 6300 and have packed enough animals with it now to confidently say its the most comfortable setup I've used to date. Ive tried Mr and Kifaru which are very nice, but when it comes to HEAVY loads the SO pack outshines them for my body type.

OP
rockmail2

rockmail2

WKR
I have a unaweep 6300 and have packed enough animals with it now to confidently say its the most comfortable setup I've used to date. Ive tried Mr and Kifaru which are very nice, but when it comes to HEAVY loads the SO pack outshines them for my body type.
Do you have a flat or normal back? Have you used the lumbar pad accessory and if so, do you find it useful?

OP
rockmail2

rockmail2

WKR
Seek outside pack bags most definitely are not as feature detailed as other brands. They are simple, but do what they are supposed to do. Carry gear. I like pockets and organization. But WOULD NOT trade the SO comfort for it!!
Thanks for your response man! I like some organization as well but not too much. I'm thinking about running my Kifaru camp bag with a merlin on the SO revolution frame. I like that the merlin can act as a stand alone pack and I feel like it helps to provide some of that wanted organization. Any thoughts on this?

duchntr

WKR
Do you have a flat or normal back? Have you used the lumbar pad accessory and if so, do you find it useful?

Normal back with no lumbar pad. The belt works perfect as is so no need to mess with it for me, others may find it useful.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

This is a design choice we've made over the years. Too many pockets add weight, complexity, and points of water entry. So our packs tend to have just enough features to get the job done.

That said, some of our recent offerings do have more built in features. The Brooks has two large zippered side pockets, each with a hydration port. The Peregrine has two zippered face pockets, a stuff pocket, two side pockets tall enough to protect an 80mm spotter, plus a hydro port. The Broadwing has four external pockets, the top two pass through with hang loops for a bladder.

The Brooks, Peregrine, Goshawk, and Broadwing also all have a fully separating main zipper that makes it easy to slip an entire quarter inside the bag if you need to.

We try to offer features for a lot of different uses and user groups. Our customers crossover from lighweight backpacking, packrafting, backpack hunting, to full on unsupported arctic expeditions. Meeting a variety of needs is something we'll continue to focus on.

To the OP - if you have any questions about our stuff I'd be glad to help.

OP
rockmail2

rockmail2

WKR
This is a design choice we've made over the years. Too many pockets add weight, complexity, and points of water entry. So our packs tend to have just enough features to get the job done.

That said, some of our recent offerings do have more built in features. The Brooks has two large zippered side pockets, each with a hydration port. The Peregrine has two zippered face pockets, a stuff pocket, two side pockets tall enough to protect an 80mm spotter, plus a hydro port. The Broadwing has four external pockets, the top two pass through with hang loops for a bladder.

The Brooks, Peregrine, Goshawk, and Broadwing also all have a fully separating main zipper that makes it easy to slip an entire quarter inside the bag if you need to.

We try to offer features for a lot of different uses and user groups. Our customers crossover from lighweight backpacking, packrafting, backpack hunting, to full on unsupported arctic expeditions. Meeting a variety of needs is something we'll continue to focus on.

To the OP - if you have any questions about our stuff I'd be glad to help.
Good talking with you today man and I really appreciate the top notch service you provided!

texag10

WKR
I have both Exo and SO. Overall they are both very good. Here is my break down of things.

• The SO layout is not as good as Exo's. After 2-3 times using the talon I came to dislike it, why is my water bladder on the outside and far away from my back?

I've always put my water bladder on a piece of 550 cord tied to the 2 plastic loops on the frame panel. Works like a charm.

SO makes a pocket that will serve the same purpose of you want something nicer than that solution.

I've been using the SO since 2014 and just recently bought a lumbar pad to try it out. I have a curved back and found the lumbar pad to be really nice until the load got over about 50 lbs. It seems like the thick, soft foam of the lumbar pad allows the belt to sag a little under more weight which I found less comfortable. Now I use the lumbar pad until I'm packing meat.

I've always put my water bladder on a piece of 550 cord tied to the 2 plastic loops on the frame panel. Works like a charm.

SO makes a pocket that will serve the same purpose of you want something nicer than that solution.

I also hang my bladder between the frame and the bag. It's nice in cold weather because body heat keeps the water from getting too cold. I also have carried it between the bag and the talon but when a 3 L is full and that far from my back, it's less comfortable.

Updating thread after first real use of my SO pack.

I spent 9 days in NW MT Elk and Deer hunting. I ran the Revolution frame 3500 Peregrine bag and 24" stays while hunting and added 4" extensions when it came time to pack out a bull. Compared to the Exo, the pack was shorter and got through the brush without snagging branches a little better. It might have breathed a little better on my back which is nice because i sweat way too much. Very comfortable throughout the day and made a little less noise on my back than my Exo.

Prior to hunting I compared the SO frame to the K2 frame by loading 50lbs. I was confident the suspension of the SO would outperform the Exo notably as loads got heavier. The most clear difference was how much more the load would shift in the exo frame compared to the SO. During a bull pack out I had a bone in hind quarter, my rifle, and standard day hunt clothes/gear in my pack. It was a 3 mile pack out, the second half I noticed the hip belt was slipping a bit so the top of the belt was sliding below my lilac crest. No matter how uncomfortably tight I cranked the belt, it kept slipping. I'd say i had about 1/3 of the weight on my shoulders so it wasn't like i was putting everything on my hips. I tried both with and without the lumbar pad once I noticed this happening and I'm not sure one way was better than the other. In similar pack outs with the Exo last year i recall the lumbar pad putting a bit more pressure on my lower back inducing mild discomfort but the belt did not slip down my hips as much. With a similar load in the Exo, the load did shift a little bit at times. I didn't experience that with the SO pack.

Damn hard to pick between the two!

Exo Pros:
More comfortable belt under load that slipped less
Very comfortable in day hunt mode
Better Compression, buckles rather than gatekeepers
I used the heck out of the lid and miss it
Single forward pull assist is more convenient
I like the standard compression straps to the frame panel (I functionally added the same to the SO)

Exo Cons:
Heavy loads shift a bit
Have a light gremlin squeak I haven't figured out
Taller shape catches on more than SO with 24" frame setting

SO Pros:
Quiet and goes through the brush better in 24" stay configuration
More stable on back - Preferable should harness fit and design
Very comfortable in day hunt mode
Wider bottom of bag (Broadwing vs exo 5500) makes packing odd shaped items a little easier and prevents an overly tall and shifty load

SO Cons:
Not huge on having 4 belt pulls without forward assist (can probably create this myself)
Struggled to keep belt up with heavy load
Gatekeepers for compression are less convenient than well placed buckles as used on Exo
I miss the Exo Lid
PALs is not very long on belt, my Kifaru medium belt pouch wont work