Too many Kifaru bags to pick from!

cocky84

WKR
Need some help picking a new pack. I want to keep total pack weight under 50lb for super cub fly ins, so weight is somewhat of an issue. I think ive got it narrowed down to 4 different ones.
1. Amr
2. Dt2
3. Dt1
4. Reckoning

I like the double pockets on the back of the amr, dt1, and dt2. I like the reckoning for the built in meat shelf. Is the reckoning the only Kifaru with built in meat shelf? I think i like the amr best but not sure i need a 7800ci bag.
On the frame i could save a little weight by going with composite stays, is it worth it? We are talking just a few ounces difference but just curious how much of a difference in comfort it makes?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

I’ve tried them all and the AMR works best for me. Don’t let the 7800ci scare you. They way the bag compresses and leaves the 2 back pockets exposed for day Gear makes it perfect to go from super small to enormous very quickly. Love the larger top opening and that it’s not a tall skinny tube like the other bags you’ve listed. Never heard anybody say I wish my bag was smaller..... I’ve got my AMR down to 2# 11oz with a few adjustments and could trim a couple more ounces if needed.

If the composite stays fit your back profile then you’ll save about a half pound in dry pack weight. If not....then the aluminum stays, custom bent to your exact back profile, will be worth their weight in gold.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
I’ve tried them all and the AMR works best for me. Don’t let the 7800ci scare you. They way the bag compresses and leaves the 2 back pockets exposed for day Gear makes it perfect to go from super small to enormous very quickly. Love the larger top opening and that it’s not a tall skinny tube like the other bags you’ve listed. Never heard anybody say I wish my bag was smaller..... I’ve got my AMR down to 2# 11oz with a few adjustments and could trim a couple more ounces if needed.

If the composite stays fit your back profile then you’ll save about a half pound in dry pack weight. If not....then the aluminum stays, custom bent to your exact back profile, will be worth their weight in gold.

Thanks for the good advice. Im really liking the amr so glad to hear the good feedback. Can you haul meat with it by putting it between the frame and bag?

I know I'm a broken record but, if you don't need 7800 CI, why not go with a Mountain Rambler? With lid its pushing 5700-5800 CI. Pod on the bottom, you are pushing 7000. Two long pockets on the outside, pod for sleeping bag and air pad, pockets for cooking stuff, rain gear, insulation layers, tripod, trekking poles, whole bag for what ever, etc... I run a medium and a small belt pouch on the pals system for food, batteries, headlamp and GPS. I could get another small pouch on it too for more organization if needed. It has a meat shelf and a gun scabbard. I know some guys didn't like the way it attaches but, it has held 100 plus pounds of gear and sand bags for about 100 miles this summer past. In both the bag ad with sand in the meat shelf. It compresses to nothing and expands to carry more in the bag than anyone would need for long hunts. I bear hunted this year with it in day pack mode and it did great, Don't over look it. God Bless

Thanks for the good advice. Im really liking the amr so glad to hear the good feedback. Can you haul meat with it by putting it between the frame and bag?

I’m sure you could haul meat between the bag and frame if desired. Slip the top hypalon sleeve off the frame and drop the meat bag between the two. Cinch the lower straps and form a “trap” for the meat bag to rest into. Never tried it but I’m sure it would work with a couple of dry practice runs.

KMT

WKR
I like the DT2 bag. It's big enough to carry more than I want to haul around, and the pockets are well placed.

I'm not man enough to haul out 80 pounds of meat on a meat shelf while at the same time filling up the rest of the pack (main bag) with any meaningful amount of gear. I wouldn't be strong enough, and I also would not be able to maintain my balance with a pack that sticks out 2 1/2 feet from my back.

The Amr is what I used this year for elk. I use the Tahr for Deer, not that I couldn't use the AMR for everything. It is my favorite pack for sure. I added spotting scope pockets down both sides, a belt pouch and a guide lid- so I don't have any issues bringing everything I want/need.
I have as much space as a small Uhaul truck.

It has 2 straps at the very bottom between bag and frame that is as good as a load shelf allowing you to adjust pack out and stuff your meat in between bag and frame. but be aware that if you haul your camp out, with a full elk quarter in there, your bag will be quite a way from your back, forcing you to bend forward to compensate the weight distribution problem.

I believe the DT packs are a bit lighter, but IMO, that AMR is back country 7 day hunters dream pack.
I can get 5 days in my Tahr but it is crammed in there.

I have 2 AMR's, one is on my Duplex frame, the other I use as a duffle to store and haul when I camp from my truck.
I can compress this down to you don't even know the side pockets are on it.

I just got the Grab it, so when that is on along with a standard lid, the entire face of the pack looks like one smooth panel and cleans up sweet.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
whatever you get go with alloy stays. the weight penalty is more than offset by the ability to custom bend the stays for a perfect fit.

X2 big time!

If I didn’t run the Fulcrum which is as close to perfect (for me) as I could ask for, I would run a Reckoning.

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
I like being able to fold over the snow collar so I don't have to run a lid all the time. That being said if I could change 1 thing about the AMR is that it have a fold over snow collar. AMR is a great pack.

I'm personally not a fan open top side pockets so the Fulcrum fits the bill. With 7000+ ci putting meat between the frame and bag cam be problematic but it's doable.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Thanks for help guys. I will definitely gonwith aluminum stays sounds like. I like to save weight if i can but not if it sacrifices comfort. Learned my lesson there. Right now im liking 1.amr 2. DT2 3. Reckoning.
Does Kifaru have a nice booth at shot show with all the different models to check out?

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an AMR in August and have used it while hunting antelope, mule deer and elk in Wyoming so far this season. I love how well it compresses down as a day pack and gives you the ability to expand it when you need it. This is the only pack I need and I've started selling off everything else that I have. The only reason I could see myself getting another pack is if I got something like the Tahr or Woodsman for tree stand hunting. Don't let the size scare you. The AMR is definitely worth it (with the Argali being a similar setup but lighter and allowing you to add pockets where you need them).

I like being able to fold over the snow collar so I don't have to run a lid all the time. That being said if I could change 1 thing about the AMR is that it have a fold over snow collar. AMR is a great pack.

I'm personally not a fan open top side pockets so the Fulcrum fits the bill. With 7000+ ci putting meat between the frame and bag cam be problematic but it's doable.

Kulshan... I bought a standard lid and a guide lid for my AMR, and switch it around depending on if its a day hunt or a 5 day hunt. The lid (standard) is nice. I used to just roll up the excess and clip it in, which I still have to do, but now it is a cleaner look.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for help guys. I will definitely gonwith aluminum stays sounds like. I like to save weight if i can but not if it sacrifices comfort. Learned my lesson there. Right now im liking 1.amr 2. DT2 3. Reckoning.
Does Kifaru have a nice booth at shot show with all the different models to check out?

I will say the two downsides to the Reckoning is it's strap happy(especially if you toss a guide lid and a grab it on there as well). The top compression strap on the side pockets are a little annoying too. I tend to leave them loose until I'm going to be leaving stuff in for a while.

I do like its size and center zip a lot.

The aluminum stays don't necessarily mean more comfort. For most people either straight or standard curve are sufficient to get a good fit, however there is a small percentage of the population that might require a custom curve for a perfect fit. The aluminum is cheaper and does give you that capability at a small weight penalty, so don't let me talk you out of them (I have both), just making sure you're informed.

I have used many of the bags and I'd second Bill's recommendation of the AMR if I wanted one bag to do everything. It's such a big bag, that you will be better off putting the meat inside the bag rather than doing a meat shelf which isn't going to work all that great with a big bag anyways. Aron has been a vocal opponent of meat shelfs in favor of just using an over-sized bag and putting the meat in your bag and I can say with absolute certainty that that it will be a much more stable load that way. If you're expecting to carry some meat out just make sure to have some large side pockets or spotting scope pockets for the side of the AMR to push it up over 10,000 cu in and you will have no problem fitting all your gear and meat. The Reckoning is also a great bag and depending on your use and personality you pay prefer this option. I personally didn't like the DT1 at all. I personally now run a heavily modified Argali, but I wish I had the extra couple inches of girth that the AMR offers.

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
I just put my new Fulcrum through its first test and was very happy with it.
Backpack Mule deer hunt, 7 days 6 nights. Had the Fulcrum loaded down going in, dumped camp and food, and day hunted out of the wings and a medium belt pouch. It went from over 8K ci to a sleek day pack with plenty of room for lunch, clothes layers and my spotter.
Then turned arround and packed out all my camp stuff and a boned out mule deer.
It's a very different bag than the AMR,
But similar in the way that it's a huge bag when you need it, and a sweet day pack when the volume isn't needed.
If you want "one pack" those are two good options

I got so used to the Kifaru set ups that the straps don't even bother me any more. I can negotiate the pack in very low visibility simply by setting pack up at home, and revising it a thousand times before actually using it.

I looked at SG and Exo, but felt confined to the limits of their versatility.
I am still gonna try one (probably the SG) to feel the difference.

But for me Kifaru excels in versatility, which means many options, and straps .