Pack Searching

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new pack. Well my first pack for mutiple Elk hunts next year. I have been checking out Hunter Horn Full Curl, Exo Mountain Gear 3500. I also just found Seeker Outside packs which I like quite a bit. Just looking for user experience, problems, suggestions. All the packs look nice for room, capabilities. SO minimal color choice, HH is best at 9lbs, Exo is more pricey but I love multi can haha. Any XP you have would-be great and thanks.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new pack. Well my first pack for mutiple Elk hunts next year. I have been checking out Hunter Horn Full Curl, Exo Mountain Gear 3500. I also just found Seeker Outside packs which I like quite a bit. Just looking for user experience, problems, suggestions. All the packs look nice for room, capabilities. SO minimal color choice, HH is best at 9lbs, Exo is more pricey but I love multi can haha. Any XP you have would-be great and thanks.
9 lbs is far from best in terms of weight. Exo should be around 5/6. Same for stone glacier, mystery ranch, seek, kifaru. If you're able, definitely do a quick test run with 80 lbs (at least 50) prior to purchase. I was able to do so with mystery ranch, exo, and stone glacier. I liked how stone glacier and exo fit to the arch of my back better, though mystery ranch belt to frame connection felt more solid when not on back. On back they all felt solid. Didn't like how the waste belt and shoulder straps of mystery ranch hit me, I think due mostly to narrowness. And the "load shelf" setup didn't seem as simple or as independently supportive (you just sandwich meat between the bag and frame, didn't have an independent sling). With the exo, as I shifted and leaned while loaded down, the load seemed to be shifting around excessively. I found this to come from the harness to frame connection. They run a single big wrap of fabric around the frame, pulled as tight as they can, but not tight enough, and the harness connection is stitched to the face of that fabric. So, fabric stretches, and you can pull harness tight to you as much as you want, and load as tight to frame as much as you want, but frame will always slop a little off of harness. I also wasn't sure about the open top side pockets, figured they'd gather debris. With the Stone Glacier, harness to frame connection real solid. This is because their frame is not and independent "thing" wrapped in a single piece of fabric, but is constructed by way of a fabric sheet with narrow channels that 4 separate frame stays run into (2 vertical, 2 crossing on an x pattern). The pulls to attach the bag or meat to the frame also attach on the back side of the frame panel, so pulling bag or meat down tight would pull any loose fabric (though there isn't any after a summer of training and season of use) on the back of the frame tight. Don't know if that makes much sense, but long and short, no slopping around of the load as you shift side to side. I ended up going with the 6900 with the new x curve frame (older style frame is straight and definitely does not fit to curves of back). I really wanted to try kifaru before making a decision, but didn't have the opportunity. But, the perfection of the 6900 bag design, for my purposes, and the fact that kifaru has only reluctantly incorporated load shelfs (can't imagine something they didn't want to do is executed particularly well), made me feel more alright about not trying them out. No idea about seek packs, just always looked a little too traditional aluminum frame to me; and that's exactly what I was moving on from. Best you can do is go fishing across the West next spring and summer and stop by all their headquarters in the process!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My experience is limited to what I have done with my exo 3500. I just bought it and have spent a couple weeks doing training hikes with 50#. It is a very comfortable frame setup, and the pack's loading capabilities are awesome. I really like the compression straps sewn into the frame that are dedicated to load hauling. It carries the weight well, and it moves with my hips as I walk and jog. Overall, comfort and simplicity is beyond my expectations.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most SO hunting setups will range from 2.75 lbs to 4.5 lbs. If you have any questions about our stuff, ask away.

AXEL

WKR
In 53 seasons and several more years humping packs all over BC and some of AB, I have owned and used many of the world's top models and makes.

I now own 2 SO packs, will buy a Gila 3500 soon and would buy a Broadwing if I were younger. I have never used more comfortable, light and brilliantly designed packs and the SO customer service is in a league of it's own, IME.

JMHO,HTH.

HeadnWest

WKR
You won't be disappointed with an Exo. The 3500 is bigger than advertised. Very well laid out and carries a load well. It cinches down small for a day pack and is very comfortable when hauling light loads. Not like a board on your back like other packs I have tried out.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from Kifaru to Seek Outside. Kifaru and other packs with the thick lumbar pad just never fit me right. I really like my pack, whether I am using it as my daily hunter or hauling heavy loads.

ElkNut1

WKR
Exo is a pack that can do it all! It's less than 5# for the 3500" pack. This pack is a great pack for day hunt mode to bivy hunting for several days if needed! It's also a beast at handling well over 100# loads if necessary!

Here's a photo from this year with a 90# load! Best pack I've ever had the privilege of owning! You've got to have one!

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 71

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered an EXO 5500 with several accessories. Can't wait to get it! From what I saw/read and watched it seems like they make quality gear! I've only used Badlands, Cabelas and some military packs before. This will be my first real high end pack. Good luck on your search.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Exo does make a good quality pack, however if you are broad shouldered it will be tough to get a comfortable fit. In my experience at least.