Need an Ultra Lite daypack

CoHiCntry

WKR
I'm looking for recommendations on an ultra lite daypack for day hiking and mostly 14'r climbing. For reference, I've been using a Camelbak Mule for several years but it's a little small for what I need. I bought a Kifaru 14'r but it was a little more than I needed.

I want something right around 1500 cu/in for size. It needs to hold a 100 oz. water bladder and weigh LESS than 2.0 lbs. Also under $150. Would appreciate any recommendations you might have. Thanks...

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
Looking at the HPG Tarahumara & the Seek Outside Merlin. Any opinions on these or others to consider?

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
The Tara is smaller than you are looking for, but holds plenty for a day. There are options for strapping jackets and such on the outside. It carries fine with up to 20 lbs for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use this ten year old MH scrambler for just that.
f2c492bea377e8c9be70633364b43638.jpg

Probably have to search eBay for it. The new ones are different and heavier but still under two pounds vs mine at 10.5oz. Up side is they are now made with outdry so no cover needed.

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
The Tara is smaller than you are looking for, but holds plenty for a day. There are options for strapping jackets and such on the outside. It carries fine with up to 20 lbs for me.

The size (1500 cu in), was more of a starting point. I think I could make the Tara work. Here's what I think I'll be carrying (usually)... 70 or 100 oz water bladder, puffy jacket, headlamp, light gloves, GPS, small first aid pouch, t.p. & wet wipes, snacks. It would also be nice to have the option of carrying some ice spikes and an ice axe or even some snow shoes. Even if there lashed to the outside. A place to lash or carry trekking poles would be a bonus too.

I'm pretty sure Chris could build you a 25-ish liter pack in XPac (very tough, waterproof if you seal seams and light!) built to your specifications for $150

Custom Xpac BackPacks - ZimmerBuilt

Ron at MLD did a run of his Core packs (25-ish liters) in XPac, not sure if he will again, but the dyneema versions are pretty tough

CORE 28L | 1700 CI PACK | Mountain Laurel Designs | Super Ultra Light Backpacking & Wilderness Equipment

Some interesting options... Thanks!

I use this ten year old MH scrambler for just that.
f2c492bea377e8c9be70633364b43638.jpg

Probably have to search eBay for it. The new ones are different and heavier but still under two pounds vs mine at 10.5oz. Up side is they are now made with outdry so no cover needed.

Looks pretty close to what I'm looking for. I'll check them out, thanks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using an earlier version of this pack since 2005 for every elk season since I got it. It's above your 2lb limit, but mine comes in at 15lbs with 3L of water and everything I need in it for the day and to break down a bull. I never even notice it back there, and it's on sale for $85. Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Attachments

• 100_3721.jpg
    100_3721.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks good! So is this your preferred daypack, or do you use others too?

most of my outings outside of hunting season, usually incorporate some running, so generally my mountain outings are either a UD 20 or 30 liter Fastpack. I think these would be worth looking at even without any running

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
also peek at Patagonia's Ascentionist- very solid, no frills pack

I own (have owned) way too many packs :D

I used the HPG tara for awhile and liked it. The harness is comfortable for light loads. The bag is simple and great to get in and out of. The pack would get so hot on my back though. I was using it in pretty hot weather for the short time I had it.

Owenst7

WKR
I'd look at the Osprey Talon line too if you like the traditional backpack layout (brain, bottom sleeping bag compartment/pad straps).

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would second a look at the Talon line- I have a 11 and 22- both solid packs, with some nice features, also well under your budget

jtw

WKR
For climbs and scrambles I currently use a black diamond speed 30 and love it. You can strip it down by removing frame and belt when the load is light. The old mh scrambler is nice too but I didn’t care for the new one. If you tend to carry a lot of weight the gregory alpinisto is super comfy but not ul.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what you are looking to carry, I would say the Tara would work, but it might be pushing it. If you are looking to stick with HPG the Connor might be better. Even maybe the Umlindi, Aston House or the new Aston House Back Country. I just don’t know if they qualify as “ultra lite”.