Kuiu 1850

GLB

WKR
I took advantage of the sale kuiu is having and bought the Icon Pro 1850 full kit. I have been wanting a day pack that could haul meat for awhile now. Just curious for those of you that have one and used it How do you have it set up and how much weight have you carried with it?

Trial153

WKR
I had one, carted out a Couple of moose with it and mulie...heaviest load was probbly 85-95, wasn't crazy about it at all. several little things that bothered me and I couldn't see it holding up to long term use in would put it through.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 1850 Icon Pro and like it a lot for day hunting. I haven't put any serious weight in it, a few antelope and a cow elk. It carried the load well, it's just a bit finicky getting it all situated with the straps and bag compressing everything down. I train with heavy loads (sandbags) here in Florida. We try and compensate the lack of elevation by training in the heat, seems to work for us. 95 - 100 degrees can break a guy down quicker than the weight will. It carries up to 70 pounds well, after that I start to have issues, nothing major but I know the weight is there. I train with up to 165 pounds in another pack and am only good for a mile. I wouldn't want to do the with the Kuiu. For its purpose I'm very happy with it. It keeps all my gear well organized and is one of the main reasons I haven't switched to another pack, I don't want just one big open bag or have to buy a bunch of extra pockets to strap on. Keep the weight reasonable and you'll have no problems, you put a lot more miles on with it light than you do hauling meat.

77bf1303d17511400231c446468d0f6c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and I've packed out a few elk with it so far. The most weight I've had in it at once was a hind quarter and a back strap and it handles that weight perfectly.

EDIT: I killed a big bull this fall and packed it out of the backcountry solo. I will be looking for a new pack. The kuiu pack cannot handle serious weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Thanks for the replies so far. At 57 years old I'm not sure I need to worry about how much weight it can handle🙂 It's me that will have the limitations. Looking forward to use it on my next hunt.

lonedave

WKR
I used an Ultra 3000 to pack out a mulie buck a couple of weeks ago and it was fine with the largest load of 60#. The Icon Pro suspension is noted to be much better than the Ultra, so I'm sure it'll be fine for your use. I know what you mean about the age factor as I've got you by two years!

snopro176

WKR
I hauled two deer this year, one load was right at 85#. That one was a little rough but the other load, 70-75 was very manageable. I was actually quite pleased with it. I would like to try some other packs but this being the only pack I've ever hauled with, I wasn't too uncomfortable.
0579b597a496f1cb59dd7a5bd108f285.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have one and also have the Icon Pro 5200. I packed out half of my sitka blacktail a few weeks ago with it (buddy packed the rest). I couldn't have imagined packing it out with the 1850. It is just too small for me. I didn't have much gear in my 5200 but the added availability of putting additional meat and gear internally plus the meat shelf gives me comfort. I wish I would have bought the 3200 and be done with it rather than have both the 1850 and 5200...
Sitka Packout (big).jpg

Attachments

• Sitka Packout.jpg
    Sitka Packout.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 34

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I have an ultra 1800 for my icon pro frame. The most I've hauled with it is about 60 or 70 pounds. As a day pack, I wish it was a little bigger. As a meat shelf with a couple of pockets on it, it does pretty good. With a few extra straps scavenged off my Icon pro 7200, I tied down my caribou skull and a small load of meat better than I thought I'd be able to.

If you don't expect it to haul big weight, I think you'll be happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headed to West Texas tomorrow and this is how mine is setup.

Big compartment - puffy jacket, spotting scope, tripod, and foldable glassing pad. Hand limb saw in mesh part

Smaller outside compartment- Bino adapter for tripod, trail mix, gloves, beanie

Small top compartment - wallet granola bars, raincover, extra release

Hip pouches - 2 headlamps, 2 knives, and fire starter

Side pouch - sometimes place tripod there on short moves between bluffs but mostly home to water bottles and nose jammer

Since it has served mostly as a bare bones day pack I've only packed meat on 2 occasions. Elk head with heart and 3/4 of an ibex.