Packs vs the rain

I live and hunt mainly in Western Wa. Rain and fog are constants. Which pack system can handle moisture the best without a cover? Does such a thing exist?

Are there any suspension systems that will stay put with a heavy load over soaking wet rain gear or am I asking for the impossible?

How did exo’s integral dry bag work out?

I’m currently running kifaru and really like it, but once it gets wet all bets are off and I’m usually carrying most of the weight on my shoulders no matter how tight i sinch the belt down if I’m wearing slick rain gear like my FL SEAK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon Pack Works bags are made of waterproof cloth but I still get a little wet after days in the rain(I'm in W. Wa. as well) Feather fletching on my arrows is my biggest issue

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
The X-Pac material used in Seek Outside packs is waterproof. Also their pack designs help resist water entering the pack through zippers and seams.

texag10

WKR
The X-Pac material used in Seek Outside packs is waterproof. Also their pack designs help resist water entering the pack through zippers and seams.

I seam sealed mine. Been in some heavy Texas thunderstorms and the contents of the bag have stayed dry. Even if the face fabric wets out the inside has stayed dry. Mine has a side zipper and even that has not let water in.

Dobermann

WKR
There's a few good threads on this here - search for 'waterproof', 'waterproofing', and 'pack covers' will find them.

But the summary is:
- Yes, Cordura can wet out, but the main culprit is usually seams.
- Seams can easily be sealed with a water or silicone-based seam sealer. McNett / Seam Grip have a few options. FIlling the pack so that the seams are slightly opened and/or gently spreading with your fingers can help the sealer get in the gaps. Applying from both inside and out helps (just as with tents).
- You can also get waterproofing sprays to treat the outside of packs. Nikwax is just one option.
- The inside coating on Cordura packs can wear off and/or crack over time ... again, there's a sponge-on seam sealer that works for this.
- No external treatment will save your stuff if you accidentally take a fall in a creek crossing - a whole-of-pack drybag is the best way to go. (And, for really deep crossings, you can also take it out of the pack and put the whole pack inside, close it with some extra trapped air, and just half-carry, half-float a pack with you, which is much safer than keeping a pack on.)
- Pack covers, while a pain sometimes, prevent water pooling inside the bottom of a pack, and can protect the pack frame somewhat.
- After a dousing, packs need a really good drying out or moisture can get trapped in all those crevices - hang in front of a dehumidifier on 'laundry' setting, hang in full sun, or put in a heated room. Undo as many straps as possible (as long as you know how to put it all back together.)

JP100

WKR
Forget trying to 'water proof' ya pack or having waterproof zippers etc, waste of time. Cordura is NOT waterproof and never will be.

What you need is a single compartment pack, (Kifaru Argali is my go to now)
You need a large dry bag, or 'pack liner'. In NZ they sell very large 'pack liners' like a really heavy duty rubbish bag.
Then all your gear goes into the main dry bag/pack liner and away ya go.
even a pack liner with the top twisted and scrunched up(they have no closure) you can swim rivers with you pack on and all your gear is dry.(yes I have tried it).

Thats the only way to keep gear dry if its actually wet.
Pack covers are great if you can get them to stay on, but wind and scrub can thrash them(depends what type of country you hunt).

I havent had any issues with Kirafu belts slipping. Maybe the FL rain gear??

Owenst7

WKR
I just use an unscented trash compactor bag in my Osprey Aether. I buy them in bulk at home Depot. They keep blood out of my pack also. The suspension on my Osprey handles rain just fine. I haven't had it in the rain with more than 62 lbs though.

Pretty sure I've seen an Arcteryx pack around 90L that was made out of reinforced PVC like the float bags sold for rafting.

Might want to think about a poncho. That would keep your pack drier than any pack cover.

Last edited:

Swampr42

FNG
Skaldugwas I've had the same issues as you have for the better part of 20yrs hunting in SW Washington.
From my experience there is no pack that will keep water out on the wet side of Washington.
The best solution I found was running a pack cover and for me it works great. Also the pack cover dries
a lot faster and easier than a pack.

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I also live and hunt in much of Western Washington.

As mentioned above, I run the Seek Outside Revolution system. I'm real happy with the XPAC material they use for their packs, very durable. I think it's about as good as it gets for our wet climate. I've had that thing in all kinds of nasty weather. Only once on a pack out did a couple items get a little bit of moisture- and that's with never having seam sealed the pack. It was a couple hours straight of just torrential downpour. I feel pretty certain that with a seam seal there would be hardly any issue. I recommend checking them out.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I do Seek Outside packs, so it is waterproof material. I have done the trash compactor bags as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've only ever had success with pack covers and trash bags. In fact, I just ordered a pack cover from kifaru for my fulcrum.