How did your fulcrum do?

Lawnboi

WKR
Seasons over, we'll pack seasons over, I need a big pack again. Wife has been coming backpacking and this coming year she wants to hunt in the west. My highcamp 4800 just isn't big enough to fit all my junk, help her out and pack meat. Plan on handing down the 4800 to her and getting another big bag. Have used the original timberline and liked it but can't help but liking the look of the fulcrum.

Strongly considering the fulcrum, hoping to pick it up if kifaru runs a Black Friday sale.

If you used one this season what's the verdict?

fatrascal

WKR
I have not used the Fulcrum but I did use the Timberline this year. While the Timberline definitely feels good while packing meat I feel the center zip would be awesome. My buddy who used to use the Timberline went to the EMR 2 in 2016 and loves the center zip. I think the Fulcrum is a great choice. Fatrascal.

Kotaman

WKR
Fulcrum will carry more than I am capable of carrying. When I need the CI, I go Fulcrum. For my use, I can't imagine a better set up. When something gets killed, I stuff everything into the front pockets and fill the main bag with meat. Awesome setup...

My buddy and I bought Fulcrum this year. We loved it. Probably carries more than I need, while providing the flexibility to become a daypack. My buddy used it as a daypack. I got to camp, took it off the frame and used only my frame with the grab it II and a sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Biggest reason I'm looking at the fulcrum over the reckoning or a discount t1 is daypack mode. About the only thing I liked about my first hunting pack, an eberle blue widow was the wings for day hunting.

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
My Fulcrum worked great on my 6 day backpack muley hunt.
Then I turned arround and used it as a day pack/meat hauler on a late season elk hunt when we were hunting out of a wall tent.
VERY versatile pack. It excelled in both roles for me.

rbljack

WKR
Biggest reason I'm looking at the fulcrum over the reckoning or a discount t1 is daypack mode. About the only thing I liked about my first hunting pack, an eberle blue widow was the wings for day hunting.

Ive been using the blue widow as well...and echo this! The wings are nice. I stil have mine, and have been contemplating fulcrum or reckoning for an upgrade....or maybe the exo 3500 or 5500. Still undecided.

fatrascal

WKR
I also love the wings and used an eberlestock dragonfly for many years. My favorite pack is the Nomad. But Fulcrum and Reckoning do have the wings as well.

Is it the batwing style you’re drawn to or a quick transition from Big to Small to Big again? If you can live w/o the bat wings, take a look at the AMR. It’s the best bag I’ve found for moving from Big to Small in a hurry and with little fuss. The Argali would be my second choice for fast transitioning.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I lik the batwing design and the big to small aspect. And that it has a boat load of room.

I'm not new to Kifaru, I used a t1, that I would happily use again and currently use a highcamp. I just want to try one that's not focused around a one big bag design. That and I need more room than 4800 + lid

I like the looks of the reckoning but like the timberline it dosnt look like the side pockets are very useful if the bags not full

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
The Fulcrum should be a decent break from the "one big bag design." The two way center zip makes the bag super user friendly even with stuff way at the bottom. Each wing has 3 pockets (stretchy open top pocket, main wing pocket and a water bladder sleeve.) Its a chunk of change but the versatility is worth it.

I haven't ran the reckoning or DT mainly because hunting in Washington I was concerned about lots of debris falling in the open top pocket.

Like MrBill said the AMR is a way quicker pack to move from big to small and vice versa when dealing with 3 compression straps compared to 5.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv looked at the argali, another timberline or the amr, but other than the argali, I don't know what the heck I'd do with my spotter in day pack mode, I don't want it riding in the main bag, I want it accessible.

I'm pretty familiar with the compression system of the other mentioned bags having used a highcamp for the last few seasons. It's worked but left a lot to be desired packing meat. The only other bag I'm really considering would be the argali, but that's so similar to what I already have, can't help but want to try something a little different.

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
The Fulcrum in day mode was Cash Money for quick access spotter hauling.
Spotter in a wing, tripod in a sleeve.
Or for super fast access I'd leave it all put together and slide a tripod leg behind 2 of the compression straps for the wings straight up the back

Kotaman

WKR
In big Kifaru bags, I went from a T1 to EMR 2, to Argali, to, AMR to the Fulcrum. Though I liked them all, the most versatile and my most favorite by a long shot is the Fulcrum.

I have used the T1 and EMR 2 happily and extensively and must say the Fulcrum and the newer Duplex frame combo is the best all around hunting set up Ive ever used. I have yet to get blood on the Fulcrum (only had for about 10 days)but I've packed 60 lb loads for 20 miles or more in the local mountains here over the last week and am loving it. As a day pack its VERY easy to use , keep items organized and has the capacity to hold large loads if you need it. I enjoy.

huntdoc

FNG
I am looking to get my first bag and had decided on Reckoning since Fulcrum and many others looked too big for my needs. Several of you say it works well in daypack mode. Better to spend a little more to have a single bag that does it all? Trying to decide whether to save a little money and risk another purchase or buy the big one first. I am a rookie with no experience here.