How did your fulcrum do?

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly
IMO the Fulcrum is better in daypack mode than the Reckoning and several of the other smaller bags.
It's the king of versatility

colonel00

WKR
I already had an EMR2 so I couldn't justify buying a Fulcrum. So, I just modified my EMR2 to be exactly like the Fulcrum except for the side zips on the wings and no rigid plastic pieces in the wings. Though it took away a couple of the exterior pockets, the Fulcrum fixes all of the issues I had with the EMR2.

I am looking to get my first bag and had decided on Reckoning since Fulcrum and many others looked too big for my needs. Several of you say it works well in daypack mode. Better to spend a little more to have a single bag that does it all? Trying to decide whether to save a little money and risk another purchase or buy the big one first. I am a rookie with no experience here.

You can always compress a bag down but it making a small bag bigger when you need it is a very difficult feat. Yeah, maybe you are carrying around a few more ounces here and there but it's not that bad. Plus, many folks like to go with a lighter bag and then find that they need to add a bunch of pockets and stuff to it to carry things which in the end probably brings the weight difference pretty close together.

MattB

WKR
I really like mine. Being able to go from day pack mode to meat hauler by lengthening a few straps is great. It seems to be the right amount and size of pockets, and the zipper is really convenient.

huntdoc, There are several key differences between the 2 bags you mention with 1 being the Reckoning having a meat shelf vs the Fulcrum were the meat is carried inside. The meatshelf function has never appealed to me although others prefer this function.

rbljack

WKR
huntdoc, There are several key differences between the 2 bags you mention with 1 being the Reckoning having a meat shelf vs the Fulcrum were the meat is carried inside. The meatshelf function has never appealed to me although others prefer this function.
This is one of the main key points that leads me to the reckoning actually. That meat shelf looked quick to set up. The weight of the meat would be right up on your back, and you don't have to move a bunch of crap around in your pack, or worry about all the contents at the bottom getting full of blood. The second key point is that I am not a fan of a water bladder inside a pack. I like the location of it on the reckoning. If it leaks, my pack contents stay dry.

So tough to decide between these two packs....LOL

This is one of the main key points that leads me to the reckoning actually. That meat shelf looked quick to set up. The weight of the meat would be right up on your back, and you don't have to move a bunch of crap around in your pack, or worry about all the contents at the bottom getting full of blood. The second key point is that I am not a fan of a water bladder inside a pack. I like the location of it on the reckoning. If it leaks, my pack contents stay dry.

Couldn't you just get the grab it panel they sell and use that to hold the meat like a meat shelf and meat could sit over the main center compartment?

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
Fulcrum? Or what did you decide on?
If you went the Fulcrum route.... I recommend a medium belt pouch to put on the top of the snow collar

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I went with the fulcrum. I have a good assortment of accessories already.

Expensive bag, and should be the complete opposite pack wise from the highcamp 4800 iv been running. I think I'll hang onto the highcamp for light, short and meatless trips.

Dang that one hurt the wallet

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m a little late to this party looks like but I’ll chime in. I’ve been super impressed with my Fulcrum this year. Being able to compress that main load and not compress or crush anything in the wing pockets is gold.

I’ve got a number of videos on the Fulcrum and Reckoning packs on the Rokslide YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cg2737

WKR
I used my Fulcrum on a two week trip to CO. I was extremely happy with the design. I had more than enough room to pack in anything I wanted to. In day mode the main bag compressed down easily. The wings easily hold all of the gear I needed for day hunts. I ran a Medium belt pouch on the snow collar for items that I wanted to get to quickly. Unfortunately I did not get an elk, so I can not speak to meat hauling. I have had no buyers regret.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I already got the bag. Had a ship date of dec 8th and today it just showed up.

Looks nice so far, my frame is 2 hours away currently so I can't play much with it. I'm happy to see that it comes setup with auto lock buckles, everywhere. Stitching, fit and finish is also much neater than some of my past bags. Now it's going to sit in the box till spring.

You don't need a meat shelf to haul meat between the frame and pack.
The 2 bottom straps are all you need.
I am getting the Fulcrum, and will utilize the compression straps to allow the bag to pull loose from the frame sheet enough to haul meat there.
That is just my preferred way to haul meat.

The meat shelf is nice but not needed.

I already got the bag. Had a ship date of dec 8th and today it just showed up.

Looks nice so far, my frame is 2 hours away currently so I can't play much with it. I'm happy to see that it comes setup with auto lock buckles, everywhere. Stitching, fit and finish is also much neater than some of my past bags. Now it's going to sit in the box till spring.

That is torture...

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
You don't need a meat shelf to haul meat between the frame and pack.
The 2 bottom straps are all you need.
I am getting the Fulcrum, and will utilize the compression straps to allow the bag to pull loose from the frame sheet enough to haul meat there.
That is just my preferred way to haul meat.

The meat shelf is nice but not needed.

I had the little Meat shelf rectangle deal for my highcamp. When it came time to use it, after finding out there's no way that all the bone in quarters were going to fit in the 4800 bag, I disconnected the bag, all but the bottom ladder locks, flopped it in, sinched it down and starts walking. After two of these incidents, I decided I wanted a bigger bag.

I like that I can haul meat on the fulcrum without needing to try sliding it through a top opening, or monkeying with disconnecting anything.

Kotaman

WKR
i had the little meat shelf rectangle deal for my highcamp. When it came time to use it, after finding out there's no way that all the bone in quarters were going to fit in the 4800 bag, i disconnected the bag, all but the bottom ladder locks, flopped it in, sinched it down and starts walking. After two of these incidents, i decided i wanted a bigger bag.

I like that i can haul meat on the fulcrum without needing to try sliding it through a top opening, or monkeying with disconnecting anything.
yep