Alps Commander Extreme experience

JWP58

WKR
Commander X + Pack   /   ALPS OutdoorZ

I have put this pack through the paces for a season, and figured I'd give some feedback.

I bought this in August because I saw it on sale at a discount website for "gubment" employees. I took a chance because at $240 (I think I paid that) it wasn't too expensive, and I just wanted to try it out. For reference I've used a Kuiu Icon 5200, Ultra 6000, and Outdoorsmans Optic Pack previously.

So far this year while wearing this pack I archery elk hunted, rifle antelope, and rifle deer. I have hiked who knows how many miles with it, and packed out two deer (split between two guys), and a whole doe antelope. The mule deer were large and healthy. I took both rear quarters, a front shoulder, and neck trim on the first (a 160" buck), and both rears and a front on the second (actually bigger in body size than the previous). I would guess the weight of my pack in both instances was around 55-65lbs (which includes all the crap I was carrying and the meat). The antelope I would guess was 40 or 50lbs. Who knows, I could be way off, but based off of 50lb training hikes I think im kinda close. First deer was about a 3 miles out and the second was around 2 miles, give or take considering elevation lost/gained. The antelope was about a 2 mile hike out.

The pack has worked well for me. It carries weight fine, its adjustable for torso length (or height, however you describe it). I like the fact you can separate the bag from the frame to carry meat. The load lifters are functional for me.

If you are looking for a functional, less expensive option, I think this pack is a decent route to take especially if you get it on sale. Would I pay full retail (350.00) for one? Probably not, just because I could get another Outdoorsmans for 50 bucks more but for in the 200 range? Yep.

If anyone at Alps is reading this, make the freaking hip pouches bigger, and ditch the spotting scope pocket. Those are my only complaints.

For day hunts I think I'll get a Kifaru e&e to strap to it and ditch the main bag. Im hopefully going to be hunting aoudad again in January and this pack will be going with me.

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
An update:

Just bought a Cody pack from mountain ridge gear to use as a day pack attached to the frame (with the 4500ci bag removed). It attaches via the compression straps that come with the pack. Should make for a fantastic day setup that still allows the quarter packing ability via the frame load hauler.

i dont know about hauling crittterswise but i ran there daypacks for a long time and i think they are pretty solid value. i had a warranty issue and they gave me excellent customer service and took care of me

For the money, they are hard to beat. As long as your torso is shorter than 19-20 inches, the load lifters work really well. It's been common to hear many complaints on the pack load lifters not working but, I'm going to say that 90 percent of those claims are incorrect pack fit and/or just regurgitated internet info. Most guys simply wear their pack adjusted too long anyways. The only thing that the Alps weight carrying packs give up to the higher end stuff is a couple ounces and an great hip belt. The one size fits all padding on the waist belt doesn't wrap padding far enough around the hip bones for a guy with a 36 or larger waist. Too much belt on the bone versus padding. Other than that, if you aren't too tall, these packs work great.

Not to be misleading, the belts work fine but, just give up a little comfort to the Kifaru belt. But, it appears that all packs loose in that comparison too. That's just being fair to what seems to be the general consensus. God Bless men

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Also, most people don't seem to know you can adjust the torso length via the hook&loop (kinda like Kuiu suspension harnesses, theres a provided plastic sheet to split the hook and loop with). With the shoulder harness adjusted properly I get plenty of lift from the load lifters (I'm 6'1 with a 19 or 20" torso if I remember correctly).

Full pack setup:

38842859741_ffba1175b5_b.jpg

Daypack mode:

38811882552_996fc8d4eb_b.jpg

In the Cody Pack I can fit all of my kill kit, and other essentials. I'll be putting a puffy and rain jacket in a dry bag that will be held below via the load hauler.

For 230 bucks (plus 55 for the Cody pack) I think its a pretty damn good setup for the budget minded folk. Ya its not going to win the cool points, but it works. We'll see how it holds up over the long run. I'll hopefully have to haul out a 30" aoudad in a month with it.

Last edited: