MR and EXO pack questions

I am in the middle of a pack search. I have whittled the options down to MR Metcalf or the EXO 3500/5500.

I really like the price of the MR, especially with the current sales. And, I may be able to pick up a used metcalf for significantly less. I like the durability of the MR packs but would like somewhat more external storage for items.

I really like the layout of the EXO with the pockets. I have heard they don't fit large dudes that great (I'm not huge 6-1 260, should be 220-230 next season). I'm a little torn on size but it seems like there is no downside to the 5500 and I could see myself getting the 2000 in the future.

Another wrinkle: how does the Metcalf capacity compare to the 3500? It seems like they are quite similar. The metcalf without the lid is somewhere around 3500 and the the 3500 with the extra pockets is about 4500. Am I correct in the is?

Anything else I should consider? The cost is an issue but not a deal breaker.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I personally have no use for more than about 2 pockets, but that's somewhat of an aside. I would put them both on a credit card and send one back after trying them. There's just no way to get a feel for how different packs jive with your body than in person. Maybe find someone locally who has one or the other, then order the "other other" to get them both in hand? Specific features on the highest end packs are rarely a deal breaker, it's usually the fit.

WKR
The EXO is ligher, more flexible. The MR is more stable/sturdy and more refined.

I had a 2015 Exo 3500, sold it this year and replaced with 2017 MR Marshall. The Exo was slightly more comfortable as a day pack and the MR is much better at hauling loads.

The EXO is ligher, more flexible. The MR is more stable/sturdy and more refined.

I had a 2015 Exo 3500, sold it this year and replaced with 2017 MR Marshall. The Exo was slightly more comfortable as a day pack and the MR is much better at hauling loads.

Yes except that frame has been replaced with K2 and it’s a lot more rigid.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
We have 2 EXO 5500's they fit , pack , haul everything . My daughters boy friend is 6'4 and 240 and these packs fit him awesome .
I've seen him put 100 lbs of bear meat , head and hide . No problem . Price is price . It's all in what you want and need . Exo is great to work with .
I have Kifaru also which is a great pack also but my goto pack is my Exo .

ID_Matt

WKR
The Metcalf has the draw string top so it has a ton of room to go up with in space. I would say it is comparable to the 5500. You really can load a ton of stuff in it when it is expanded.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes except that frame has been replaced with K2 and it’s a lot more rigid.

I've had both, and I prefer the feel of the first gen EXO frame. It moved with you better while hiking, and still had the side stabilizer straps. That's something I wish my new K2 setup had.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
EXO has some excellent videos demonstrating capabilities of their packs. You just happened to pick my two favorite packs for all arounders. Can't go wrong either way.

I've had both, and I prefer the feel of the first gen EXO frame. It moved with you better while hiking, and still had the side stabilizer straps. That's something I wish my new K2 setup had.

Don’t disagree, if first gen had same hip belts and shoulder harness as New K2, still own it. The new K2 does hold carry weight better, but it is stiffer. I don’t know if the side stabilize would work on the K2 but to me was one of the best things on the original frame. Made the lighter days much more agile

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved
I have used both this year. Exo k2 last year and archery season then picked MR Pinter on sale and used the rest of the year. Packed elk on both. Like 307 said , I liked the exo better as a daypack and the MR for hauling. Exo hauled fine but I felt the MR more stable. That being said I think I am going to go back to the exo for my go to pack as well as I spend more time hunting, crawling and climbing over stuff than hauling meat and it moves better with me.

I'm in the camp which advises (you) to buy both packs and evaluate them carefully under loaded conditions. Keep the one which suits you the best after several days of use. The only way to know is by comparison...otherwise it's a hopeful-pick. We are all individuals in terms of bodies, abilities, interests and planned uses for our packs. What works for one guy can be a complete no-go for you or me. In my case I wanted a pack which would be a good day hunting pack, but it HAD to be a great load/meat hauler...no compromise there. I tried and eliminated packs which were too flexible, too busy, too flimsy, too trendy. I ended up with a NICE frame Metcalf (few years back) and later upgraded that to a Guide Light Pintler 2 seasons ago. For my ways and needs, MR totally nailed it with the Guide Light frame, Overload shelf and latest adjustable yoke.