Is there a huge difference?

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
So, for the last 4 years I have used a horn hunter frame for shed hunting and packing out elk. The last couple years I have really noticed how much the pack digs in to my hips and doesn’t carry weight that well (in my opinion, don’t get all butthurt) I have decided to buy a new pack and my eyes are have really liking the Exo 2000 or 3500. My wallet doesn’t like spending the 500+, but I figure it’s like boots. Pay the price for added comfort. But is it worth the extra 200$ to buy an Exo or Kifaru over an eberlestock? I don’t do any backcountry, so it would essentially be a daypack that I can use for packing meat and also for hauling out elk sheds. I need a dual purpose bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is in fact a HUGE difference between an Eberlestock and a Kifaru pack. Eberlestocks are no where near as nice and comfortable. Whether you need it or not to haul sheds or use as a day pack is totally up to you and your income. I’ve owned both and for hauling out heavy loads the Kifaru is the best.

LandYacht

WKR
I’ve carried elk out in an Eberlestock Blue Widow and my current Kifaru KU5200 and there is no comparison. My buddy and I swapped packs halfway through because he was going to have to drop a bag of meat and come back for it with his Blue Widow. We made it out with 120 pound plus in both packs. It wasn’t pretty with the Blue Widow and I was bent over 90 degrees at my waist looking at the ground, using my trekking poles to keep me up. He finished with my pack and was walking out like I had started, like a normal person carrying a pack.

This year I helped a buddy and I again carried two quarter bags full of deboned meat. My buddy had a bag that I don’t remember, but it was a decent bag maker and he said there was no way he would have been able to carry the second quarter.

In short, I think there is all the difference in world. My pack cinches down smaller than most day packs and it expands to carry 120 plus pounds of meat when the carrying starts in earnest.

OP
W

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know guys. I really appreciate the input.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Eberle Halftrack for mid weight loads but Exo and Kifaru will give better load lifting, I think the Kifaru belt is a LOT better than the others, minimal slip under load.

I'd also consider a Mystery Ranch if you can get a good deal, I saw a Guide light frame went for less than $$200 on ebay recently, that would have been a hell of a deal!!

The shoulder straps and hip belts are about the same as many other backpacking packs out there, which are better than most hunting packs. The main difference you'll find is better designed frames with the use of both stays and sheets as well as better lumbar and back padding. Kifaru also has more options for a custom fit. Other pluses: great customer service, made in US.

xziang

WKR
FYI I could be wrong but I thought I saw kifaru is having a 15% off on stuff due to black Friday. BTW no comparisons with the blue widow and the kifaru or even (ducks for cover) Kuiu. The blue widow I have I still use it but it is for deer and day hunts for it is nice and easy to use with a blind with the way it is designed. Kifaru will carry the weight/heavy loads MUCH better.

Eberlestock with 55lbs on it wasn't even fun.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Kifaru is much better than any eberlestock pack. When I was looking to finally get a real pack, I decided to buy once, crybonce and went with a kifaru fulcrum with a 28" tactical frame. I couldn't be happier with it for its intended purpose. I ended up selling my barneys frame pack because I just don't need it any longer.

OP
W

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everybody. How about exo? I assume they are comparable to an exo? An exo is what I really want

Last edited:
I went with an Exo 3500, and I could not be happier with my purchase. I regularly carry 80 lbs for backpack cardio with no issues. No back pain, no hip rub, and a simple setup for strapping on loads. I can also pack 3 changes of clothes, a jacket, my skinning and gutting gear, bow quiver, hip quiver, rangefinder, flashlight, and a 8x10x4 tackle box in the bag and pockets. I still have a belt pouch and lid available for storage. It’s a great pack, and the customer service is very hard to beat.

If you go with Exo, I’d recommend getting in on the sale and get yourself a free accessory or two by buying the accessories you want now.

Wapiti406

WKR
I can’t speak for Eberlestock, but I this summer I got rid of my Badlands 4500 and picked up an EXO 5500. Couldn’t be happier. It was hard to spend the money, but I feel it was well worth it. Super light and mobile makes for a great day pack. We packed a couple bulls out this fall and the exo carries heavy loads exceptionally better than my previous pack. I also really like the layout of the bag itself. If you want one just bite the bullet and buy now while you can get a free accessory. Get the crib. If it turns out you don’t like it you’re only out a few bucks on shipping it back to Boise.

I had 2 Eberlestocks (X2 and X1A2) neither could do what my Kifarus do.
I used the X2 in day mode but even then it was painful.

I now use the Kifaru for all things.
- Day mode- no issues
- Hauled Bull Elk out in 3 loads by myself, no issues

I was also eying an EXO or Stone Glacier to try.

Just cant seem to justify it

I have the Tahr from Kifaru and it is my 90% used pack. I have attachments on it that allow me to do 5 day wilderness hunts easily.
I then have the AMR from Kifaru that open that up for more days or moveable camp on my back without fear of also hauling out meat.

I have since dropped the idea of a pack designated for "day pack".
I just get the size I need for long trips, and compress it down for day mode.

That's what I love about the Kifaru Tahr, at 3400 with attachments added on, I can get it to well over 6000 and use it for everything.
The AMR is like a huge duffle bag with the ability to attach anything and everything.

That's why Kifarus are my only set ups- versatility is endless

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I have both a Kifaru frame w/a Mtn Warrior and (2) 2017 Exo 5500's . Both awesome products and both fit me totally different . Fit has to be almost at the top of the list when thinking about cost and uses. Cost is a big thing but worth every penny when they are as versatile as these systems are . IMO.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everybody. How about exo? I assume they are comparable to an exo? An exo is what I really want

Get the exo..........wonderful pack and you won't look back, especially since that is what you want.

Randy

Originally Posted by WYO_ATL

Yes an Exo is comparable to an Exo for sure
:)

Comparable to a Kifaru - no.

A Kifaru is full of choices, different set ups, and accessories galore. I looked hard at Exo and SG, both which I think are packs way above Eberlestock, but the versatility is limited. But maybe they have their stuff dialed and don't need the versatility options to complete their packs.

I have a set way I run my stuff and like that I am not put in a mold of compliance by utilizing Kifarus options.

Had I gotten to an Exo early enough when they offered Fusion I may have gotten one.

Did you see the BRO youtube video of Steve from EXO carrying out 2 rear qtrs. (boned out I believe) and an elk head in his pack, plus all his camp gear for like 5 days? That was crazy.
Granted his bull wasn't huge but that's still a lot of weight.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a whole bunch of different types of packs over the last 15 years. From Army issued ALICE to MOLLE to an Eberlestock and Mystery Ranch. I've finally found my way to Kifaru and it's a world of difference. I don't come back from a weekend complaining about my back or hips anymore. I'm looking forward to completing the Bataan Memorial Death March with my Kifaru this year.