Hunter Orange Backpack Panel?

I have an EXO 5500 in Coyote Brown. I have been wondering lately if the brown color is a liability at all. Every year I read about hunting accidents, but then again reading through them it doesn't really seem that color is an issue in any of the accidents/negligent discharges, more of a shooting at movement issue (and lots of stupidity). I do prefer the CB, it blends into my surroundings better and looks good to me over the ranger or multicam. A lot of my gear tends to be brown, tan and grey.

My state does not require hunter orange, but I do carry a blaze orange bandana in my kill kit to tie on horns. I decided order a 115" blaze panel for the bag for rifle season. It will fufill the out of state requirements as well, and is just a bit of added safety. Anyone else wear a panel on their backpacks or have had an issue with colors in the woods? I have been fortunate only to have taken some rounds from another duck hunter that luckily didnt penetrate my jacket or hood. Still I worry at times when out on public land, you never know what another hunters experience and training are.

I am probably over thinking it, but at the minimum the panel will be nice for packing out horns or marking a kill site.
c335431fe724156917a8c9776c25107f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bcole82

FNG
Wait I want to hear the story with this jack wagon shooting you with a shotgun, how exactly does that happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an orange compression panel during hunting season. Mine is the Seek Outside base talon with about 800 cu-in zippered storage. Handy place for gloves, hat, binos, etc.

nevs2s7.jpg

OP
F
I was hunting a small pond and a guy walked out and asked to hunt with me. As it was a small pond I figured it was for the best. Guy was pretty odd and the alarms in my head were going off, but I tried to be friendly and kept hunting. I should have listened to myself. I shot a mallard and went to retrieve it across the pond. I heard the whistling wings of more ducks coming in and then heard the shot, then felt the pellets hit the back of my jacket, and the back of my hood. I yelled, and the guy realized what he had done and started apologizing. He was so focused on the ducks he forgot all about me. I was a bit shocked, and went back. He continued apologizing as I started getting mad as the realization of his stupidity sunk in. He gathered his stuff and slunk off, I never saw him again. This was before cell phones so I didn't call it in. Luckily I was across the pond, so the distance (60+yards) helped and I was layered up from the cold and rain. I was lucky I had not turned around and caught a pellet in my eye. It was an old heavy hand me down waxed canvas jacket but I could feel the impacts, but luckily nothing penetrated.

Bcole82

FNG
I was hunting a small pond and a guy walked out and asked to hunt with me. As it was a small pond I figured it was for the best. Guy was pretty odd and the alarms in my head were going off, but I tried to be friendly and kept hunting. I should have listened to myself. I shot a mallard and went to retrieve it across the pond. I heard the whistling wings of more ducks coming in and then heard the shot, then felt the pellets hit the back of my jacket, and the back of my hood. I yelled, and the guy realized what he had done and started apologizing. He was so focused on the ducks he forgot all about me. I was a bit shocked, and went back. He continued apologizing as I started getting mad as the realization of his stupidity sunk in. He gathered his stuff and slunk off, I never saw him again. This was before cell phones so I didn't call it in. Luckily I was across the pond, so the distance (60+yards) helped and I was layered up from the cold and rain. I was lucky I had not turned around and caught a pellet in my eye. It was an old heavy hand me down waxed canvas jacket but I could feel the impacts, but luckily nothing penetrated.

Some people’s kids man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
I had a lid custom made for my Mystery Ranch pack out of blaze orange material. Sewn up by Rugged Stitches here on the forum. I like that it is dual purpose and I don't have to worry about it being ripped off by brush or a branch.

OP
F
Thanks for the pictures, I think this will be a great addition for safety. I do not worry about archery season too much, but during rifle season it seems everyone is a self proclaimed distance or brush snap shooter now. I would hope that little orange flash would make them hesitate long enough for an identification. The panel looks good on the pack. I was going to make one, but couldn't make one for the price.

Felix40

WKR
I wanted to add some orange to my pack because of a little screw up in new mexico where I laid a brown pack on a brown rock and spent 20 minutes looking for it in the rain. I made a blaze lid for my pack. Seemed more practical than adding extra stuff to it. I may make a blaze grab it too since I use that to haul meat a lot of the time. I do feel better about my odds of not being shot now too.

OP
F
Re-finding a pack is a great point! I tie a little flagging in a tree before walking off, but the panel would be a great way to relocate gear.

colersu22

WKR
I have the medium orange a glow like you posted that I throw on my pack during rifle season since it is required in WA but archery I just leave it in a pocket so I can hang it on a rack if needed.

I always have some blaze on even if Im just hiking, for safety and for respect to other hunters out there so they can tell at a glance exactly what I am.

The Kifaru Longhunters had a Velcro attach reversible blaze / camo pack and lid covers. I usually leave it off but if hunting around a bunch of rifle hunters might stick it on, or use it in states that require blaze. Worked well but is fairly heavy.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I've actually been looking for something similar for the same reasons. I have the Orange Aglow bookmarked and I've been thinking about getting a custom lid or pouches made up in blaze orange. I'm actually surprised that there aren't more options out there. I've been shot at enough overseas that I'm good with making sure it doesn't happen here too.

AdamW

WKR
I'm looking at a pic on the wall right now of me in CO last year. Orange hat, vest and a lightweight vest draped over my guide lid I was using as a day pack. I don't think you can be too careful man and some orange ain't hurting anything.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Same concerns here...once the pack goes on my back it covers the back of the orange vest. Contacted Native Textiles in CO and had a few pockets made up in blaze orange for my Cargo Panel that I use for rifle season. I used to tie another orange vest on the CP but got to be a pain getting into the pockets so just got a couple orange pockets. Great people at Native Textiles.

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved
I use the orange aglow or the exo crib panel in blaze orange always during rifle season. Also avoid packs in tan or brown color.