Mystery Ranch Metcalf or Marshall?

I’m buying some gear to start mountain hunting after almost 23 years out of the mountains. I really have no clue what I ACTUALLY need, in terms of size as equipment and clothing has changed so much. I’m really considering a Kifaru pack but with the Black Ovis sale, I decided I ought to buy a Mystery Ranch pack while they’re on sale. I can always resell it if I need to.

Realistically, I probably won’t pack in more than 7 days and likely only 5, the first couple of trips next fall. I’m hoping to have a partner or two but, just in case, I want to be able to go solo. I’ll be archery elk hunting since I have to be back on the ranch I manage by early October, to to run whitetail season. Which one would be a better sized pack. I’m leaning towards the Metcalf but I’m not sure.

Sale ends tomorrow so hopefully you can shoot me some answers pretty quick.

FWIW- I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 pack that I bought for a guided elk hunt I went on in 2015. It wasn’t nearly as comfortable as I thought/hoped it would be. So, I thought I’d give it to my son-in-law for Christmas since he says he wants to join me. Then, he can just get a bigger bag for it. The Mystery Ranch packs look to be more comfortable than the Kuiu packs - is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jherald

WKR
Get the Marshall. You can always compress a larger pack to make it smaller. The Metcalf is just a bit on the small side(speaking in terms of extended hunts) and you would hate to have a Metcalf and wish you had more space, especially if you ever decided you wanted to go do a 10+ day hunting trip somewhere and needed to pack more food or whatever else. If you never plan on doing an extended trip, Metcalf would fit the bill.

Comfort is relative to the individual wearing the pack and everyone has a different physical frame that different suspensions ride better or worse on. Personally, I like Mystery Ranch frames over the Kuiu. And, Mystery Ranch hasnt changed a whole lot with their frames in the last 10 years with exception of the new Guide Light series to make their packs lighter to compete with other brands.

If I was going to choose between a Kuiu pack or a Mystery Ranch, I would go with a Mystery Ranch myself.

boom

WKR
i did five days in with my Metcalf. and we had to bring in lots of water to add to what we already had cached..

i also used it on my wife's first trip to the backcountry..that meant i carried everything. i didnt need the load shelf, but i did have to cinch the tent to the outside..that Metcalf is a versatile pack..

that one five day, i came out loaded with empty water bottles. :)

For your needs I would say the Metcalf. I can easily fit 8 days worth inside without strapping anything on the outside besides a tripod and small glassing pad but that is just for accessibility. That's for archery season and with out carrying more than a 3L water bladder. If you will be carrying late season clothes and sleep gear and lots of water and a 85mm spotter the Marshall is probably a better fit.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
I’ll definitely be carrying my ATX 85mm, Promaster 525c w/ Outdoorsmans head and plenty of water. I’m not hunting any areas I know so I’m going to pack in as much water as I can until I KNOW I’ll have a water source.

Decisions decisions

JohnnyB

WKR
I love my Metcalf. Although I haven't tried it yet, I think I could use it on a 7 day hunt. Five days worth is not a problem and I appreciate being able to squeeze it down for day hunts but still have the hauling capacity. At these sale prices you should get one or two of each!

Bld6159

FNG
i packed 5 days worth in my metcalf with 200oz of water. That pushed the limit with my gear with only tripod and pad on the outside. I'd want a Marshall for anything over that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
After my Exo 3500 experience I'd advise going with a bigger pack that can be compressed.

You buy a pack thinking "this should be enough space" but it's a real pain if you end up having to take more gear.

it's pretty easy to compress a larger capacity pack.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Well, the MR packs we’re all sold out in my size anyway. Sooooo, I ordered a Kifaru Reckoning, Guide Lid and the hunting frame with the 15% off code. I sure wish Kifaru had that Desolve camo. I really like that stuff! I just went with Ranger Green on the pack and harness and Kryptek on the lid. I’ll probably buy a small bag or two some time and I’ll get them in Kryptek and, hopefully, that’ll help add a little breakup to the bag.

Thanks for all your help, folks! Maybe I’ll get lucky and catch a Christmas sale to get a MR pack. I’d sure like to have one to load and compare, side by size, with the Kifaru.

Stwrt9

WKR
I picked up a Metcalf the other day i'm pretty excited to try it out. For the price it was almost too good of a deal to pass up. I really wanted to try out an EXO but the $200 difference in price was a no brainer.

boom

WKR
btw..you're welcome.

the only reason the Metcalf is on sale is because i bought mine..right before. (full priced)

i'm thinking of ending electrical blackouts by buying a generator. :)

OP
BrushyHillGuide
btw..you're welcome.

the only reason the Metcalf is on sale is because i bought mine..right before. (full priced)

i'm thinking of ending electrical blackouts by buying a generator. :)

Lol! Buy another one so the sale will come back for me!

there are some great deals on these packs right now. on the MR site and on other sites. These are both great packs. I own one of each. love them.