EDC backpack

ofl0926

WKR
Hey what’s up everyone. Looking for a good comfy bag for everyday carry and traveling. I have a 5.11 72hr bag that I used on my deployment but don’t need something that big. I mostly carry my laptop in it. What are you guys using? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Antero for my EDC and carry on. If I’m staying long enough I’ll run the Tarryall. It’s s little big for edc but a perfect travel bag.

Deepshax

WKR
Im using the smaller goruck gr1. I didn't love my antero. I didnt love my tarahumara I love the gr1. If your carrying a laptop I would definitely check out the gr1 as it has a false bottom and rear zipper pocket designed to protect and carry a laptop.

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Kifaru Urban Zippy, in Kryptec Typhon. they're a bit pricey. But it has great features, outside pockets for water bottles,
side panels zip open. And ample options to lash pockets to the out-side

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Im using the smaller goruck gr1. I didn't love my antero. I didnt love my tarahumara I love the gr1. If your carrying a laptop I would definitely check out the gr1 as it has a false bottom and rear zipper pocket designed to protect and carry a laptop.

that bag looks real nice. are you using the 21L model?

Man there are a ton of good edc packs, and I have tried a lot of them.

I am currently using a Prometheus Design Werx SHADO pack. It has a padded laptop sleeve. Its great for travel too. I did modify it and add some horizontal compression straps because it lacks adequate compression even with the gear trap accessory which is a good addition regardless.

GoRuck makes some really nice gear, I had a rucker, and it was good, just not quite big enough for what i needed.

Triple Aught Design Fast pack litespeed is a great option too, it was just a little small for my size. The Fastpack EDC is bigger and has a waterproof sleeve for a laptop. Both will work but are pretty pricey.

Mystery Ranch has some good edc packs now but I havent tried any of them.

I would take a good look at the Stone Glacier Avail 2200. That would be my next choice for an edc pack if I was starting from scratch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Man there are a ton of good edc packs, and I have tried a lot of them.

I am currently using a Prometheus Design Werx SHADO pack. It has a padded laptop sleeve. Its great for travel too. I did modify it and add some horizontal compression straps because it lacks adequate compression even with the gear trap accessory which is a good addition regardless.

GoRuck makes some really nice gear, I had a rucker, and it was good, just not quite big enough for what i needed.

Triple Aught Design Fast pack litespeed is a great option too, it was just a little small for my size. The Fastpack EDC is bigger and has a waterproof sleeve for a laptop. Both will work but are pretty pricey.

Mystery Ranch has some good edc packs now but I havent tried any of them.

I would take a good look at the Stone Glacier Avail 2200. That would be my next choice for an edc pack if I was starting from scratch.

Mystery ranch has some stuff. wish i could see them in person. which pack would you recommend? goruck has nice stuff as well. very streamlined. i like how they have videos of them on the website to see the capacity and capabilities.

Mystery ranch has some stuff. wish i could see them in person. which pack would you recommend? goruck has nice stuff as well. very streamlined. i like how they have videos of them on the website to see the capacity and capabilities.
Its hard to recommend one over another without knowing your exact wants. I prefer a more active/hiking edc pack that is hipbelt compayible as opposed to a more streamlined slick commuter type pack. Nothing wrong with those types of packs just not what I am looking for. If you want a tactical looking type pack Triple Aught Design packs are fantastic. I loved everything about the fastpack litespeed except the overall dimensions just didnt fit me that great. The fastpack edc fit me really well and the shoulder straps are some of the most comfortable I have ever worn.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Its hard to recommend one over another without knowing your exact wants. I prefer a more active/hiking edc pack that is hipbelt compayible as opposed to a more streamlined slick commuter type pack. Nothing wrong with those types of packs just not what I am looking for. If you want a tactical looking type pack Triple Aught Design packs are fantastic. I loved everything about the fastpack litespeed except the overall dimensions just didnt fit me that great. The fastpack edc fit me really well and the shoulder straps are some of the most comfortable I have ever worn.

i need it for travel and a bag to carry to work (firefighter). right now i am carrying my 5.11 rush 72hr and its huge. dont need the capacity. what i am looking for is something for laptop, charger, cell phone charger, portable battery, jacket/fleece etc stuff like that. im not going hiking with it. also it would be great to carry around town when traveling.

i need it for travel and a bag to carry to work (firefighter). right now i am carrying my 5.11 rush 72hr and its huge. dont need the capacity. what i am looking for is something for laptop, charger, cell phone charger, portable battery, jacket/fleece etc stuff like that. im not going hiking with it. also it would be great to carry around town when traveling.
Copy...ironically that is almost exactly what I carry every third day to and from the station (firefighter as well). I would suggest GoRuck then. Really well built bags, just a little pricey. You should be able to get a mil discount though, I think its 25% off, or at least it was a couple years ago.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Copy...ironically that is almost exactly what I carry every third day to and from the station (firefighter as well). I would suggest GoRuck then. Really well built bags, just a little pricey. You should be able to get a mil discount though, I think its 25% off, or at least it was a couple years ago.

yeah they still do the 25% off. i was looking at the GR1 in 26L. they have three colors on sale. sand, multicam and arid.

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Mystery Ranch Coulee 25 that works great for my EDC. Usually has my lunch, iPad, coffee cup, and some very basic survival stuff in it, with room left over for a jacket. Tri-zip design is handy and it has a waist belt but I generally tuck it away behind the lumbar pad.

tttoadman

WKR
I have the urban zippy with the frame sheet. I can take a decent handful of 11x17 drawings in the bag without excessive wrinkling along with my laptop and my folder. Love the side pockets. My hardhat slips in the bungee nicely for a quick outing to the field.

Deepshax

WKR
that bag looks real nice. are you using the 21L model?

yes. they still do the 25% off for military, teachers etc. My wife is a teacher so I was able to get the 25% off which was pretty nice. your item list is pretty much what I carry in mine into nyc everyday; laptop, rain jacket, cell charger, laptop charger, umbrella, nalgene (water), klean kanteen (coffee), lunch etc. I like the 21l size. It keeps its shape really well and stands up on its own. its not strappy and very stream lined and low key. one of the things I liked about the antero was the clamshell zipper which the gr1 has and is really functional.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
my man-bag :)D) is my old school Timbuk2 mediums sized messenger bag.

it holds everything i need..basic survival (knife, sharpener, flashlight) plus all my engineering things i use for work..and a laptop.
it can cram a puffy in there with a ball cap. i wont wear a backpack over my motorcycle jacket..not my winter Klim jacket..