Help with Backpack Choice

If you MAYBE / POSSIBLY need to carry out a boned out whitetail, are you really gonna tie up $500+ in a pack?
Call a buddy to help you drag your deer to where you can get a cart to haul it out.

Ditto this. Also, if you aren't that far in and it's just too rough to get a cart in, there are plenty of good enough load hauling packs out there. Just get one of those to keep in the truck. Aron also recommended some cheaper options in a recent Kifarucast podcast on budget gear including the marine corps ILBE pack and an old Mountainsmith pack (don't remember the model).

Last edited:
OP
C
My whitetail daypack is a Tenzing 2220 pack. It carries my extra clothes, snacks, coffee thermos (2nd most essential), TP (most essential), etc, etc. pretty well. I think I paid about $130ish on ebay or amazon for it. I can't recall the exact wt of the pack, but its pretty light. I guess you need to decide on the criteria for selecting a pack. If all you need is a daypack for extra clothes and light wt stuff, then you can get by without dropping much $$ (Badland, Tenzing, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc). If you MAYBE / POSSIBLY need to carry out a boned out whitetail, are you really gonna tie up $500+ in a pack?
Call a buddy to help you drag your deer to where you can get a cart to haul it out.

Ditto this. Also, if you aren't that far in and it's just too rough to get a cart in, there are plenty of good enough load hauling packs out there. Just get one of those to keep in the truck. Aron also recommended some cheaper options in a recent Kifarucast podcast on budget gear including the marine core ILBE pack and an old Mountainsmith pack (don't remember the model).

Thanks guys...this is about what I've decided. There are a few areas that I may hunt and run into having to pack it out. I do hunt alone many times and usually during the week so finding someone to help will be tough at times. Most of the time I would only have a 1/2 mile pack out to get to where I could cart it so I think I'm gonna go the lightweight day pack for clothes and essentials, then get a molle II or ILBE for packing the meat on to the cart.

OP
C
I can’t speak for the molle but I have an ilbe pack that I used to whitetail hunt. 20-30 pounds carry very good. I didn’t mind it at all. Hu

do you remember what you paid for it? All the ones I'm seeing are going for about $150...seems steep for a military pack

do you remember what you paid for it? All the ones I'm seeing are going for about $150...seems steep for a military pack

I've seen them for as low as 80 a while ago, but hard to find a complete set for that price anymore. It's an Arc'teyrx pack, so it's going to be a little steeper than most USGI gear. The civilian version of the pack had an MSRP of $435: Arc'teryx Bora 95 Reviews - Trailspace.com

Here's one for $125: USMC Digital Marpat ILBE 2nd Generation Back Pack with BLK, Strap, Belt | eBay

There are also a few auctions for cheaper with no bids and 5 days left.

You could also hit up this guy looking to sell one on here in Sept for $60 TYD: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/rokslide-classifieds/77751-ilbe-pack.html?highlight=ilbe

texag10

WKR
If you nix the camo requirement one of Seek Outside's packs on their lightweight frame sounds like a perfect fit. Depending on the fabric you choose a Gila or Divide will be under 3-3.5 lbs, and the frame will easily handle packing out a whitetail. I did just that on Halloween this year and it was downright enjoyable.

If you do go west you won't necessarily need to change your pack setup, and if you don't you have a super light, durable, and comfortable pack that can carry the weight. They are also waterproof without a pack cover.

Lightweight Backpacks for backpacking, hunting and expeditions

boom

WKR
i think a Mystery Ranch Longbow would be perfect. since the new Pintler came out, i am seeing more and more Longbows coming up for sale at various sites.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys...this is about what I've decided. There are a few areas that I may hunt and run into having to pack it out. I do hunt alone many times and usually during the week so finding someone to help will be tough at times. Most of the time I would only have a 1/2 mile pack out to get to where I could cart it so I think I'm gonna go the lightweight day pack for clothes and essentials, then get a molle II or ILBE for packing the meat on to the cart.

This is a good approach which opens you up to a lot of options for a load hauling pack such as the LL Bean Hunter's Carryall which you can get new for $89. I had one and it could easily carry out a boned out whitetail.

Hunting Bags and Packs | Hunting Gear at L.L.Bean

AZElk

FNG
Find what fits you the best and run with it. I like Kifaru but that does not mean that you are going to like their packs or the way they fit. Try on everything you can before making a decision

if the farthest you are going to be hauling a heavy load is 1/2 mile I would not waste money on a high end hauling pack. Look at horn hunter, some sort of molle pack frame suck as wilderness packs, LL Bean makes a frame I believe the cache hauler, kuiu would be another good option.

Didnt read through all the responses from the ohers, but from what ive read, you really dont need to spend all that money for what u do. I came from back east and packed at least a half dozen deer each year. I have a bunch of badlands and arcteryx and a MR Pintler (and if i was honest atleast 10 other packs). The pintler is my new fav but u need none of that. The badlands diablo or the alps mountaineering pack will do fine for you. Your needs are 100% different than what a western hunter encounters. Do as you feel, but i just wanted to present another option.

For me my go-to pack is a Badlands Superday. It is the most comfortable pack I have ever owned. I just carried 30# for 8 miles in the sub zero temps here in PA on a section of the North Country Trail in training for a hunt next fall out west. I have used this pack for day hunts here in the east and out west. All of my whitetail stands are a good distance from my home or camp so I haul all of my clothes so not to sweat and have enough gear on board to be away for the entire day. The comfort of this pack goes a long way with me. The only thing I do not do with this pack is haul meat with it. I carry a kill kit and take the deer or elk apart and go back to camp or home for my Alps Freighter frame to haul it out with. Look on these classifieds or Archerytalk for a good used one that should cost you about $125.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like OP might be getting ready to throw $700 at a $100 problem. A nice day pack from Badlands or Tenzing will work fine. If you feel the need to haul meat that LL Bean Carry All looks like a good option. Personally, if I'm only moving the deer a half mile, I'll just drag it with a rope tied around my waist.

Also, you don't need camo...I take my Stone Glacier whitetail hunting occasionally, and the deer don't even see it if its hanging in the tree not moving.

If you are patient, I bet you can find a pack to fit your budget right here in the classifieds. I just picked up a gently used Seek Outside pack for half price of a new one. I will have more room than I plan to need and it is more comfortable than any pack or ruck I have ever worn. I didn’t want to buy a $500+ pack without trying it on since there were no retailers near me. I am very happy with my decision.

NDGuy

WKR
Exo 3500, Mystery Ranch Pintler/Cabinet. The Cabinet might be a good choice as you can use it to carry out tree stands/ground blinds fairly easy. All those packs will accomplish your normal day to day stuff and can be used for going out west.

Rich M

WKR
I recently picked up a Horn Hunter Main Beam XL and found it to be a very comfortable pack. It is a little larger than I'd want in a general day pack but handles weight well and would not be a bad pack-out pack. Got it while considering a backcountry elk hunt. I got it for $170 new.

It is more comfy than the Tenzing 3000, which isn't a bad pack either.

Hope you found something you like - we have a lot of options these days.

Evka31

FNG
As far as it goes to backpacks while hunting, they have to be compact and comfortable. As when you run in the woods, larger backpacks may get caught by a branch and easily rip, making your overall hunting experience a bit shitty. We hunt a lot in Lithuania and we spend sometimes 10 hours on our feet. Therefore, make sure you get something you can get along quite well. My backpack is not even designed for so called hunters, but rather a simple leather backpack that my wife bought me from Baltic Domini. They are not even that expensive, but so far I am very comfortable and happy with the gift.

D snyder

FNG
Mystery ranch scapegoat 35 is 4 lbs. will fit all you cold weather clothes and will haul 60-70 lbs for a few miles easily.
You can find these for >250.00
The new pop up 28 looks like it was designed for what you want.
I have an Eberlestock X3 euro that would suit your needs well also. My son uses it for whitetail hunting in PA. Light weight and I think I paid 225.00 for it. It won’t haul more than about 40-50 lbs for me though.

brownbear

FNG
I hunt similar conditions and situations. However, in PA it is carry out the entire animal only (so most of us drag the animal, cart or sled). That said, I bought a Kifaru a few years ago anyway. It's expensive, perhaps overkill, but I don't regret it. We do quite a bit of land maintenance on the property and don't have access roads. It's park and hike. I use it for backpacking trips and hope to go out west as well.

As others mentioned, and in my opinion, 3000 cubes is a good all around size. Even if you are hunting in colder than normal temps, you can always lash that bulky coat/bibs to the outside for your hike to and from your spot. If you have compression straps, 3K isn't too big if you're not filling it up either.

Although I have not owned a Horn Hunter pack, they have captivated my interest. I *think* they are Made in USA, and would be a good lighter, less expensive option to the K packs. There is one store in my 50 mile radius that carries the brand, and they look well made. I also have a soft spot for Mystery Ranch, since I owned a few Dana Designs packs back in the day, but the lower priced versions are made overseas- not a huge deal for me, but may be a 'breaker for some.

REI packs aren't camo, but are offered in earth tones, if you don't have MR/HH money right now; There's always the classifieds, too. I started using a GI duffle bag as my approach pack, as it would fold up nice and small when I wore my bulky clothes. Anything can work. Some are definitely sexier than others. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

If you're concerned about camo... Everything will see you walking regardless of your pattern, an old camo jacket, or blanket draped over your resting pack can help it disappear. That said, I've had animals walk right up to my non-camo packs on the ground while I was in stand and not spook because it wasn't camo, but because it didn't belong. But camo is cool.

Last edited: