Help with Backpack Choice

Hey guys, I'm new here but have been reading non stop on here and other forums. I've looked at just about every pack there is and I'm just overwhelmed.

Here's what I'm looking for. I live in Alabama and hunt only whitetail. I doubt I will be going out west...maybe one day but not in the near future. I hunt 85% from the ground. We typically have mild weather but late season can be cold (for here), so temps can vary from 50s to 80's early season down to 20's late season. I don't carry a ton of gear. snacks/water, Knife, range finder, gps, phone, few spare aa's, flashlight, layers, and when cold, insualted bibs and jacket, and a cushion for the ground. Prob at most 10 lbs.

So I want day pack (I guess you'd call it) that will be fairly compact but then expand to hold my clothing when it gets cold. I do wanna keep it as light as possible as this will be used mostly in steep ridge country. I also don't want something huge and bulky as I often go through thicker timber. I did want the option to haul out a boned out whitetail though I would only do this once every season or two.

I liked the looks of the Horn Hunter Main Beam but I'm sure it won't be good for hauling out meat.

I know you guys are huge on Kifaru but I don't know if it will be overkill and I wasn't planning on spending 5-600 bucks. Would appreciate any suggestions!

Dusty2426

WKR
Hey guys, I'm new here but have been reading non stop on here and other forums. I've looked at just about every pack there is and I'm just overwhelmed.

Here's what I'm looking for. I live in Alabama and hunt only whitetail. I doubt I will be going out west...maybe one day but not in the near future. I hunt 85% from the ground. We typically have mild weather but late season can be cold (for here), so temps can vary from 50s to 80's early season down to 20's late season. I don't carry a ton of gear. snacks/water, Knife, range finder, gps, phone, few spare aa's, flashlight, layers, and when cold, insualted bibs and jacket, and a cushion for the ground. Prob at most 10 lbs.

So I want day pack (I guess you'd call it) that will be fairly compact but then expand to hold my clothing when it gets cold. I do wanna keep it as light as possible as this will be used mostly in steep ridge country. I also don't want something huge and bulky as I often go through thicker timber. I did want the option to haul out a boned out whitetail though I would only do this once every season or two.

I liked the looks of the Horn Hunter Main Beam but I'm sure it won't be good for hauling out meat.

I know you guys are huge on Kifaru but I don't know if it will be overkill and I wasn't planning on spending 5-600 bucks. Would appreciate any suggestions!

So many good choices out there. Kifaru, mystery Ranch, even the shunned kuiu. But if I was you I’d spend a little extra and get something in the 3000 cu range. They compact down to fit a good day pack but expand big enough for a 3-4 day trip. As far as brand find one with the bells and whistles that suit you. There is no perfect pack.

OP
C
So many good choices out there. Kifaru, mystery Ranch, even the shunned kuiu. But if I was you I’d spend a little extra and get something in the 3000 cu range. They compact down to fit a good day pack but expand big enough for a 3-4 day trip. As far as brand find one with the bells and whistles that suit you. There is no perfect pack.

Thanks Dusty, that's about the size I was thinking. The problem is I have no idea what to expect as far as what I'll need. I need to pack my layers and cold weather clothes in, would also like to attach a crossbow to it. I won't be doing any multi day trips either. So my biggest concerns are staying like and possibly packing out meat.

Dusty2426

WKR
Thanks Dusty, that's about the size I was thinking. The problem is I have no idea what to expect as far as what I'll need. I need to pack my layers and cold weather clothes in, would also like to attach a crossbow to it. I won't be doing any multi day trips either. So my biggest concerns are staying like and possibly packing out meat.

If packing meat is a concern go ahead and get a pack that will handle the weight. All I mentioned above have sturdy frames capable of hauling more than you care to strap in. I have a kuiu and it fits me well. That’s key above and beyond brand loyalty find one that fits you first (each company has advisors and tips to fit) then find one that has pockets you need or even no pockets. I run a kuiu ultra 3000 with kifaru pullout bags on short hunts.

Owenst7

WKR
I packed a cow elk and a medium mule deer out of the Jarbidge Wilderness this season with an Osprey Aether 85. I did about 60 miles of scouting during the summer, and our spike camp was 8 miles in. That pack will carry up to about 70 lbs before the stays start flexing and the load lifters don't work well. I can't carry more than that safely in that terrain (I'm 160 lbs and not looking to blow out a knee and end my hunting career).

I use that pack a lot for day hikes for chukar and stuff. It compresses well and is right around 5 lbs. I can pack out half a bone-in mulie plus spike camp with some room to spare. It's a versatile pack with an excellent warranty. I've worn it in July in 100° heat doing 14 mile days and it breathes well enough to be comfortable.

The frame on my Osprey places the load closer to my back than any hunting brand pack I've messed with. That exponentially reduces bending moment on my lower back and allows me to carry the loads I'm safe with more comfortably.

colersu22

WKR
Don’t forget the EXO 3500 or even 2000, they haul heavy loads great and in my experience it is more comfortable day hunting with the EXO than my Kifaru set up cause the frame seemed to move better with your body and not be as stiff.

OP
C
Thanks guys. I would like one in camo. That kinda ruled out Stone Glacier for me. Exo looks nice but will check out the Osprey too.

Check out military surplus stores in your area and online. Lots of options for camo, pockets, attachments, etc, and good on price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
My first western pack was a Eberlestock blue widow. That has now become my deer pack for I like the design of it which allows me to put a 'blind' on it along with a small mr budy heater inside of it without 'expanding' it. They aren't the lightest but it works out well for me. Since you won't have a lot of weight to carry I would look at kuiu since you want something light weight and narrow.

Price would be my deciding factor into a pack for deer to be honest. If you hunt out of stand also look at one that might be able to carry climbing sticks or the stand. My badlands superday pack has also served me well, climbing sticks strapped to the back of the pack and cynch straps affixed to the stand to have it strapped to my side like a shoulder bag.

OP
C
Check out military surplus stores in your area and online. Lots of options for camo, pockets, attachments, etc, and good on price.

Do you mean for a straight up military pack? From what I’ve seen of the ones I looked at they’re not light. I looked at the marine ILBE made by Arcteryx and it’s fairly heavy and they run about $150. Alice packs ate cheaper but still not light. I can get a molle ii pack and frame for about $50-60 but not sure how they are for a load.

OP
C
My first western pack was a Eberlestock blue widow. That has now become my deer pack for I like the design of it which allows me to put a 'blind' on it along with a small mr budy heater inside of it without 'expanding' it. They aren't the lightest but it works out well for me. Since you won't have a lot of weight to carry I would look at kuiu since you want something light weight and narrow.

Price would be my deciding factor into a pack for deer to be honest. If you hunt out of stand also look at one that might be able to carry climbing sticks or the stand. My badlands superday pack has also served me well, climbing sticks strapped to the back of the pack and cynch straps affixed to the stand to have it strapped to my side like a shoulder bag.

Yeah Price is always a factor. If I could find a nice pack for under 300 and fit my needs I’d be happy. I’d like the options for carrying my sticks too. I have an assault ii hangon with the molle straps and belt when I need to use my stand but I’m probably going to a saddle next year and being able to attach sticks would be nice. I like the Kuiu Icon Pros but read several things about them holding up and their CS being hit or miss.

Either. Yeah marine will be heavy and better for loads but 10lbs of gear + 10lb pack is only 20lbs. That's light! As far as camo options go probably best for the money.

If you're only hauling out 80lbs once or twice a year than look at an Exo, but if you plan on regularly hauling 100lbs+ then yes, Kifaru is well worth the price. The only thing that would make me change my recommendation is if you have a long torso you will want to stay away from Exo as their frames are 25", so pretty much useless for anyone with a torso length over 20" (a lot of folks over 6' tall).

OP
C
Either. Yeah marine will be heavy and better for loads but 10lbs of gear + 10lb pack is only 20lbs. That's light! As far as camo options go probably best for the money.

Haha yeah it’s not heavy but that’s why I’m ground hunting. I’m not as in good a shape as you guys so I wanna go as light as possible. Plus unless I have a specific place that it’s at an advantage to use a stand I’m ground hunting. So 10 lbs vs 20lbs is quite a difference. I like going as light as possible lol...with my stand in at about 15 lbs with one stick and assault. Then clothes and gear put me at about 25. I use one stick to climb unless I need to be super quiet then I’ll carry 4 sticks for an extra 7.5 lbs

OP
C
If you're only hauling out 80lbs once or twice a year than look at an Exo, but if you plan on regularly hauling 100lbs+ then yes, Kifaru is well worth the price. The only thing that would make me change my recommendation is if you have a long torso you will want to stay away from Exo as their frames are 25", so pretty much useless for anyone with a torso length over 20" (a lot of folks over 6' tall).

Thanks! I may not even haul it once a year. But there are places that I hunt, that if I killed, a cart just ain’t gonna work so I wanna be prepared. I like the look of the exo. I also like the Mystery Ranch Pintler and Cabinet. They’re in the same weight range as the Exo.

As for torso I think I measured it at 19”. I’m right at 6’ and 185 lbs

Thanks! I may not even haul it once a year. But there are places that I hunt, that if I killed, a cart just ain’t gonna work so I wanna be prepared. I like the look of the exo. I also like the Mystery Ranch Pintler and Cabinet. They’re in the same weight range as the Exo.

As for torso I think I measured it at 19”. I’m right at 6’ and 185 lbs

Either choice will probably work great for you. Neither are amazing hauling packs, but either are plenty good for once a year hauling. I am a big Kifaru fan and they have unbeatable customer service, but they're overkill for some folks needs. If you ever do plan on hauling tree stands around or start doing more meat hauling than I'd highly recommend upgrading, but for now you'd be fine saving some money and going with something else might be worthwhile. Keep an eye on the classifieds as you ought to be able to find something on there to fit your needs.

mcseal2

WKR
I use my Exo 3500 for whitetail hunting in the Midwest as well as western hunts and love it for both. I've never owned or used a Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Mystery Ranch so I can't compare them. I have Eberlestocks as well and I'd rather haul a load with the Exo than any of them, although the Eberlestock Mainframe works fine too.

I hunt pretty open country and even whitetail hunting I often take a compact spotter and 15x binos with a tripod. I actually probably pack about the same gear whitetail hunting and even more clothing. Whitetail hunting is usually a patience game and sitting still I want to be warm and comfortable. I'm also walking less and sitting more so weight is less of a consideration making me pack more and heavier clothes. I walk in dressed pretty light but have Kuiu Kenai pants and jacket, Kuiu glassing mittens, plus a HPG Mountain Serape and insulated boot covers if it's real cold. Our gun season is in December so it can be cold, can be windy and 70 like earlier today too. The pockets of the Exo seem to be about perfect for me. Spotter and tripod on the side pockets. Wind meter, ziplock with tag and stuff, gun rest for the tripod, and wind drift chart in the stretch front pocket. Head lamp, knife, and ammo in the lid. Everything else in the big main pocket. I like that it has the roll top too so I can pack up at dark with no zipper noise, just stuff everything in the main pocket and sort it out at home.

The Exo moves with my body better than any frame pack I've ever tried. I have used Cabelas Alaskan frames, plus those of several friends and the Eberlestock J34, Team Elk, and Mainframe. I think the Exo moves better with me than most packs with just stays. It also has better airflow than anything I've tried. It's just darn comfortable.

A cheaper option that I used in the past (my wife uses it now) is the Eberlestock Mainframe with your choice of bag. I used the Super Spike camp duffle for whitetail hunting and just put everything in the one big pocket. It was also pretty handy to stuff things in at dark and held all my insulating layers plus gear. For western hunts I used a Transformer bag.

The Eberlestock camo material is quieter than the Exo and the Mainframe is real easy to attach stands or other awkward loads to. Other than that I prefer the Exo for everything.

Hope that helps.

I would watch the classifieds for something like a used kifaru spike camp or late season. I use the spike camp with a grab it for deer and turkey hunting in Virginia and i think it's perfect. Not too big but not to small. I've used the grab it and a lashing strap to carry things like my lone wolf, extra layers, seat cushion, shooting sticks, turkey decoys, etc.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted decide on your price point then make list and what options you want and are most important then watch want ads. I hunted with exo3500 this year as my daypack. As noted it is very comfortable and one that moves with you very well. I have a kifaru t3 that is a good choice as well and this may be posted soon.

LaHunter

WKR
My whitetail daypack is a Tenzing 2220 pack. It carries my extra clothes, snacks, coffee thermos (2nd most essential), TP (most essential), etc, etc. pretty well. I think I paid about $130ish on ebay or amazon for it. I can't recall the exact wt of the pack, but its pretty light. I guess you need to decide on the criteria for selecting a pack. If all you need is a daypack for extra clothes and light wt stuff, then you can get by without dropping much $$ (Badland, Tenzing, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc). If you MAYBE / POSSIBLY need to carry out a boned out whitetail, are you really gonna tie up $500+ in a pack?
Call a buddy to help you drag your deer to where you can get a cart to haul it out.