what pack works best for hunchbacks?

I have horrible posture and kind of a hunch back. When I pack out heavy 50+ lbs my pack sags down to my butt crack. Even if the belt is cinched tight on my hips.it ends up putting a lot of pressure on my hips. I don't think this is normal and it's happened on 2 different packs. And I could only really feel it on heavy loads 20-30lbs felt fine. .Is that something that a certain pack with adjustable stays might fix. Or do I just need more lumbar support? Curious if anyone else has this issue and if so what works for you. Thx

ozyclint

WKR
I sound like you. I have poor posture with a hunchback and a pronounced lumbar curve. A pack with alloy stays is a must for me because it allows me to bend them for a perfect fit. I found more bend into my lumbar curve helps stop the pack riding down. The lumbar curve in the stays rides on top of what little butt I have to stop it sliding down.

duchntr

WKR
Ive been liking my seek outside pack, the belt does not slip. Might be worth looking at if your having issues with traditional setups. Also id give the manufacturer of the current packs you own a call as they may have some suggestions to mitigate your issues.

OP
bojangles808
I sound like you. I have poor posture with a hunchback and a pronounced lumbar curve. A pack with alloy stays is a must for me because it allows me to bend them for a perfect fit. I found more bend into my lumbar curve helps stop the pack riding down. The lumbar curve in the stays rides on top of what little butt I have to stop it sliding down.

That's kind of what I thought might really help out. What companies offer this? Kifaru?

Was also thinking maybe shortening the torso might help on heavy packouts so it doesn't slip. I thought I saw somewhere guys were saying that worked for them on heavy elk packouts

OP
bojangles808
I'd give Aron a call and see what he thinks, but yes Kifaru offers aluminum stays that can be bent to any back profile.

I definitely need some curve as I stood against a wall and can fit my hand through with no issue. Stone glacier x frame and the aluminum stay kifaru are what jumped out at me. Probably leaning kifaru as it looks like they'd be able to give me the most adjustability for a custom fit. Unfortunately though I don't think I'd have it in time for my hunt in 3 weeks

I definitely need some curve as I stood against a wall and can fit my hand through with no issue. Stone glacier x frame and the aluminum stay kifaru are what jumped out at me. Probably leaning kifaru as it looks like they'd be able to give me the most adjustability for a custom fit. Unfortunately though I don't think I'd have it in time for my hunt in 3 weeks

I bet you would- call and tell them.
I ordered a fulcrum pack and had it in a week, during Black Friday, their busy time, at least give it a try.

colonel00

WKR
I had to do the same thing. Now, to make the custom fit easier, I just went to the hardware store and got a length of 1" x 1/8" aluminum. It's a little thinner than what Kifaru uses which makes bending it a lot easier. It will still hold up fine under a load though. This way, you can use the stays you get with the pack as a guide and you aren't altering the Kifaru stays in case you want to sell the frame at a later date.

Also, if you are ordering a frame, you might as well get a set of the arrow stays for $10 or whatever they are. Give them a try too as they flex quite a bit and might work for you.

When you check out with Kifaru there's a option for back profile. Select flat. Also a taller frame will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely need to try different packs as they all fit different.

My Eberlestock pack carries the rifle great, but sucks after about 20 pounds. Even though it has a hip belt, it transfers 0 pounds to the hips.

My Kuiu Icon 5200 does pretty good until I get around the 50 pound mark. Then it starts sliding down my back and no amount of belt torque will hold it up. I'd need a ratchet strap to get it an tighter.

My Kifaru 26" tactical frame fits me a lot better and transfers about 80% of the pack weight to my hips. I find I still need about 20% on my shoulders to keep it from sliding down. Most of that is because my gut. I found that the belt needs to ride a little higher than is normal. It rides above my pants belt.

No matter what pack you get, find one that fits and stick with it. Some people, like me, buy used packs out of the classifieds. Keeps the costs down, and if you don't like it, just post it back up.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

OP
bojangles808
well i ordered a stone glacier xcurve, kifaru with curved aluminum stays, plus already have an exo and have ran the kuiu icon pro. have been playing around with 50 and 90 lbs in all the packs and im keeping the stone glacier its pretty sweet