havalon blades

what are you guys doing with your used havalon blades?

ive been keeping my kill kit vacuum packed so when i open it up i have a tough food saver bag to put my blades and dirty gloves in but im still always worried about those blades. ive been thinking about moving stuff to a pull out but then i really need a plan for them.

Bury them in the woods, then hundreds of years from now people will be amazed at the razor blades they found in the mountains, kinda like indian Arrow heads lol...
No seriously thou, when I replace one I put the old one in the new blades foil wrapper then fold over the top... Never had any issues getting cut or puncturing anything. Then dispose of when I get home!

Craig4791

WKR
I put them back in the used sheath they come in most of the time. I have stuck them in the ground too though.

cjleon23

FNG
So these blades work well for boning out a kill? Was thinking of getting one because of its lightweight.

OP
fillthefreezer
ive been using the piranta edge for 5 critters so far but it was recently commandeered by my wife so i bought a piranta bolt as the grip is slightly larger

sk1

WKR
Honestly I stick them in the ground and forget about them.

Mike

time to market steel shank crocs in about another 5 years.....lol

this will be my first year using the havalon, glad you brought it up i will have to decide what i want to do with them. while in a pinch i would and will bury them, but probably not the greatest idea having 2000 hunters burying blades every year

littlebuf

Banned
time to market steel shank crocs in about another 5 years.....lol

this will be my first year using the havalon, glad you brought it up i will have to decide what i want to do with them. while in a pinch i would and will bury them, but probably not the greatest idea having 2000 hunters burying blades every year

it kinda goes along the lines of pack it in,pack it out. pretty easy to slip something the length of a toothpick back in your pack.....

it kinda goes along the lines of pack it in,pack it out. pretty easy to slip something the length of a toothpick back in your pack.....

The few times I've left them in the ground I just poke them in then step on them so their flush if not pushed down even farther into the dirt. I couldn't find one after doing this if I tried... but yeah I should probably start packing them out.

Mike

littlebuf

Banned
im not judging anybody mike. in reality its probably pretty harmless. it just reminds me of the one time I left some blades at a kill site. I didn't mean to and I had them in the paper and then stuck in a stump. didn't realize id left them up there until I was home. then the though crossed my mind of some dumb bear digging around in that stump cuz it smelled like elk guts and getting sliced up. probably a stupid thought but it makes me always remember to grab my blades. im into hunting animals not hurting them, unlikely as that scenario probably is

sk1

WKR
yeah im not trying to make a big deal about the blades in the ground, but if you do stop and think about it with the amount of havalon knives sold and blades buried it could eventually be a bad day for someone.....most likely not as if i buried one i would make sure it went deep....but ya never know!

like i said good post so that now i will make sure i have a safe way to transport them, never thought of it

twall13

WKR
I'm resurrecting an old thread here but I feel it's relevant and maybe more so now than when it was first started several years ago as more and more people are using disposable blade knives. What is everyone doing with their used blades? I don't like the idea of leaving them out in the woods, even buried, so I've been experimenting with options. I didn't like bringing them home, loose, in the old wrappers. I just started using an old Nuun tablet bottle to carry the blades in and I think I like it so far. It should protect both the new blades, and everything else from the used blades. The empty bottle & lid weigh less than half an oz. What else are you guys doing with your old blades?

Nobody should be leaving used knifeblades in the woods.
They weigh nothing. Pack them out.

Seriously. Don't know why this is even a question.

muddydogs

WKR
I don't own a Havalon and never will but I was thinking will the blades fit in a bore brush tube? I use bore brush tubes as a single AA battery holder in my pocket all the time, cut the tube down so the battery fits tight with the lid on. If not a rifle bore brush how about a shotgun one?

They resharpen fine on a Chef's Choice (kitchen) diamond wheel knife sharpener. Just use the 60A blades as they are much tougher than the original 60X blades.