Who has a lot of experience with Kifaru AND Stone Glacier?

Chawn_C

FNG
The Solo is like a clown car. Just the way it’s shaped and laid out, seems like I can pack it more efficiently with more ease than other packs.

I've used a Kifaru for the past 7 years, packing in 1000's of pounds of bear bait, packing out sheep, goats, moose, deer, bears and caribou. It's a great setup and I find it to be very comfortable. This past season I used the Duplex and a Reckoning to pack out three caribou, worked great as always but I found that setup to a bit on the heavy side when empty. I also was not impressed with the meat shelf. The EMRII that I used the past two years was incredible, that's a great pack for me and I'll be using that one in the future when I grab the Kifaru.

Based on overall weight and reviews from those I trust, I decided to try out the SG 7400 for the rest of the year. I used that pack on two walk-in bivy style sheep hunts and two walk-in bivy style mountain goat hunts where we were doing 30-50 mountain miles in a 5-7 day period. The pack performed awesome and I had zero complaints. I was able to pack out a moose with it and also packed out a ram around 12 miles or so. I really liked that setup as well and will likely continue to use it for longer back pack hunts when every ounce counts. The Kifaru will still be my go to for most other hunts where weight is not an issue. I'd like to see Kifaru come out with some light weight options without too many bells and whistles (excess straps, buckles, webbing) while not compromising functionality. For now, the EMRII does that for me but it doesn't look like they will be making many anymore since it's in the rhino den. I may give the Marhor a try, but the lack of a full length middle zipper does not appeal much to me.

Bottom line, for me... I can't have one or the other, I need both.

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've used a Kifaru for the past 7 years, packing in 1000's of pounds of bear bait, packing out sheep, goats, moose, deer, bears and caribou. It's a great setup and I find it to be very comfortable. This past season I used the Duplex and a Reckoning to pack out three caribou, worked great as always but I found that setup to a bit on the heavy side when empty. I also was not impressed with the meat shelf. The EMRII that I used the past two years was incredible, that's a great pack for me and I'll be using that one in the future when I grab the Kifaru.

Based on overall weight and reviews from those I trust, I decided to try out the SG 7400 for the rest of the year. I used that pack on two walk-in bivy style sheep hunts and two walk-in bivy style mountain goat hunts where we were doing 30-50 mountain miles in a 5-7 day period. The pack performed awesome and I had zero complaints. I was able to pack out a moose with it and also packed out a ram around 12 miles or so. I really liked that setup as well and will likely continue to use it for longer back pack hunts when every ounce counts. The Kifaru will still be my go to for most other hunts where weight is not an issue. I'd like to see Kifaru come out with some light weight options without too many bells and whistles (excess straps, buckles, webbing) while not compromising functionality. For now, the EMRII does that for me but it doesn't look like they will be making many anymore since it's in the rhino den. I may give the Marhor a try, but the lack of a full length middle zipper does not appeal much to me.

Bottom line, for me... I can't have one or the other, I need both.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. My kifaru certainly has a place and that place is hunts or trips where weight isn't a huge factor While th SG hopefully will fill the niche for me.

You hit the nail on the head with kifaru making a lightweight pack. If they had something comparable, I'd get it. I'll still try out the tahr and guide lid I have coming but honestly it seems like it makes more sense to send those down the road and get the SG solo bag when it's in stock. I'll probably get a sky archer as well at some point.

I've pretty much paired down all my gear as much as I care to other than the pack and the 9lb fulcrum leaves a bit of space to work with.

FYI it is pretty easy to put kifaru packs on stone glacier frames and vice versa if anyone wants to play around with them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
FYI it is pretty easy to put kifaru packs on stone glacier frames and vice versa if anyone wants to play around with them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ill throw the Tahr on the SG frame and play around with it while waiting for a Solo.

If the SG's were 26" I'd try one.

Just measured my SG Xcurve frame and it is 26”.
3a5952f5e45ea32316c995b557323467.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just measured my SG Xcurve frame and it is 26”.
3a5952f5e45ea32316c995b557323467.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on!!! Its mentioned on their website as well that they are 26". I spoke with them briefly asking if it would fit for my height and they say it should be no problem and that everybody on their staff Is over 6ft tall. I can't wait to get this thing.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have used Kifaru since 2011. Used a loaner SG back in 2014 I believe it was and was impressed. Bought a SG Sky 7400 and used it this summer for a couple backpacking trips and loaned it to a buddy for a sheep hunt (he did get a ram), and he really liked it, but he put a hole in the bottom of it so bought it off of me. As for now I don't plan to get another SG at the moment. Its a great pack no doubt, but the 2-2.5 pound weight different just isn't as important to me as it once was. The Kifaru function perfect for me and I have never broken a belt clip or put a hole in the cordura.

Honestly, for general backpacking and ultra light trips I will just continue to use a Kuiu ultra 6K (gasp ;) ) as it works just fine and at 3 pounds it certainly gets it done. The SG def carries very well but the waist belt on the Kifaru is still more comfy for me. But packs are a personal thing and many prefer the SG to Kifaru......I just don't appear to be one of them. So I will continue to "suffer" with my EMR 2. ;)

wapitibob

WKR
Thank you for posting that picture. They told me the frame was 24 but that was before the x curve.

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have used Kifaru since 2011. Used a loaner SG back in 2014 I believe it was and was impressed. Bought a SG Sky 7400 and used it this summer for a couple backpacking trips and loaned it to a buddy for a sheep hunt (he did get a ram), and he really liked it, but he put a hole in the bottom of it so bought it off of me. As for now I don't plan to get another SG at the moment. Its a great pack no doubt, but the 2-2.5 pound weight different just isn't as important to me as it once was. The Kifaru function perfect for me and I have never broken a belt clip or put a hole in the cordura.

Honestly, for general backpacking and ultra light trips I will just continue to use a Kuiu ultra 6K (gasp ;) ) as it works just fine and at 3 pounds it certainly gets it done. The SG def carries very well but the waist belt on the Kifaru is still more comfy for me. But packs are a personal thing and many prefer the SG to Kifaru......I just don't appear to be one of them. So I will continue to "suffer" with my EMR 2. ;)

I Feel you Luke, I think its safe to say that both Kifaru and SG make an awesome product. I have no intention of getting rid of my fulcrum (but I might end up trying to trade my tactical frame for a hunting frame). Im just thankful I get the opportunity to try both packs out. They will just fill different roles for me.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got my frame yesterday, I was going to go out and do some training with it but I went moose hunting instead.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I was a diehard Kifaru fan for a good 4 years then I switched to the Stone Glacier X-Curve frame with the Sky Talus 6900 and I am super happy doing the switch. The comfort of the SG Fit just suits me better and feels more part of me then the Kifaru Frames ever did. I had the G2 Duplex for a few years and switched to the new hunter frame when that came out then to the SG X-Curve. The difference was night and day for me. Unfortunately I dont have any experience with the bags you mention but also have thought about getting the SG Solo bag. the problem is that SG Big packs have a way of cinching down really nicely so really I cant justify getting the Solo because my 6900 Talus can cinch down to 4000 ci Day mode with ease. Also has a Center zip which makes it easy to get to my gear.

Id say your in a great debacle because both SG and Kifaru have great resale value. If you have the funds order both and give them each a try and keep the one you like best. Id definitely check out the bigger SG bags. As stated they cinch down pretty easily in such a way that it turns the bag into a smaller pack easily. Alll SG Bags have this ability. They are super well thought out.

Hope that helps.
I just made the same switch! Is there any way to put the kifaru pouches on the SG?