Who has a lot of experience with Kifaru AND Stone Glacier?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello everybody,

I'm looking for opinions from people who have extensive use with both. This isn't a question about which is better, they are both awesome.

Right now I'm using the fulcrum on a 28" tactical frame. It's awesome and it handles loads like a dream, I have some accessories for it (medium pockets, native lid for when I'm really going out for awhile etc). I really enjoy this set up but right now I'm working on getting a pack set up for sheep and goat hunts where weight is an issue, these are likely going to just be 3-5 day hunts due to my schedule. Maybe slightly longer.

During the Black Friday sales I snagged a tahr pack from kifaru and my plan was/is to order up a 26" hunting frame and runnthe tahr, guide lid and a few medium pockets. This should put me right around 6lbs for that pack set up.

However, I'm wondering if I'd be more happy getting a stone glacier solo since the frames are the same price and the solo bag isn't too expensive.

Does anybody have experience with the SG solo and the kifaru tahr/markor/argali?

I'm intrigued by stone glaciers stuff but I already know that kifaru is awesome from first hand experience, I'd hate to go one way or the other then regret it.

Also looking for opinions from anybody who switched from kifaru to SG or vice versa. I'm not interested in exo or any other companies, just kifaru and SG.

Thanks.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I was a diehard Kifaru fan for a good 4 years then I switched to the Stone Glacier X-Curve frame with the Sky Talus 6900 and I am super happy doing the switch. The comfort of the SG Fit just suits me better and feels more part of me then the Kifaru Frames ever did. I had the G2 Duplex for a few years and switched to the new hunter frame when that came out then to the SG X-Curve. The difference was night and day for me. Unfortunately I dont have any experience with the bags you mention but also have thought about getting the SG Solo bag. the problem is that SG Big packs have a way of cinching down really nicely so really I cant justify getting the Solo because my 6900 Talus can cinch down to 4000 ci Day mode with ease. Also has a Center zip which makes it easy to get to my gear.

Id say your in a great debacle because both SG and Kifaru have great resale value. If you have the funds order both and give them each a try and keep the one you like best. Id definitely check out the bigger SG bags. As stated they cinch down pretty easily in such a way that it turns the bag into a smaller pack easily. Alll SG Bags have this ability. They are super well thought out.

Hope that helps.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was a diehard Kifaru fan for a good 4 years then I switched to the Stone Glacier X-Curve frame with the Sky Talus 6900 and I am super happy doing the switch. The comfort of the SG Fit just suits me better and feels more part of me then the Kifaru Frames ever did. I had the G2 Duplex for a few years and switched to the new hunter frame when that came out then to the SG X-Curve. The difference was night and day for me. Unfortunately I dont have any experience with the bags you mention but also have thought about getting the SG Solo bag. the problem is that SG Big packs have a way of cinching down really nicely so really I cant justify getting the Solo because my 6900 Talus can cinch down to 4000 ci Day mode with ease. Also has a Center zip which makes it easy to get to my gear.

Id say your in a great debacle because both SG and Kifaru have great resale value. If you have the funds order both and give them each a try and keep the one you like best. Id definitely check out the bigger SG bags. As stated they cinch down pretty easily in such a way that it turns the bag into a smaller pack easily. Alll SG Bags have this ability. They are super well thought out.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the insight. Like I said, I know kifaru works for me but I'm intrigued by the SG packs and since the frames are he same price, I'm sor rod leaning towards the SG for this pack and possibly selling the tahr and a few things to get the solo bag.

I wish I had the chance to use the talus 6900 side by side with my fulcrum, that would be cool. My plan is to keep the fulcrum/tactical frame for training and hauling moose but putting together a lighter pack for the fast and light fly in hunts. The only downside to my kifaru set up is that it weighs close to 10lbs empty so if I had a smaller set up that saved me 5lbs just for those trips, then I'd be all set.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah sorry sounds like you already have a Kifaru. id make the jump on the SG and give it a go. If it doesn't work out you can still resell it easy on here for close to what you paid. Kurt makes a fantastic pack. Im beyond happy with the switch I made. I dont have a bad thing to say about Kifaru the SG just fits me and carries better. Good luck with your quest.

Stid2677

WKR
I use both, for me it depends on my mission. If I'm needing to pack large or odd shaped loads the Kifaru works better for me, but for long range sheep hunts my Sky 7400 - Xcurve Frame + 3 Piece Medium Belt + Sky 7400 bag, gets packed. The SG runs a bit lighter and when every little bit counts, I choose the SG. My waist size changes from 32 to 30 and the SG belt fits me a bit better as well.

I ran a DT1 and a KU for several years but couldn't get a really good fit when packing heavy loads. 4 years ago a used SG Krux with Terminus and Solo bags came up for sale here locally, so I picked it up for a decent price. Shortly after using the SG frame I decided that the fit was better for me and sold both the Kifaru's. Since then I've bought and sold several different SG bags/frames and now just have a Krux/Approach for my son, and a Xcurve/and multiple bags for me. The Xcurve frame/belt fits me like no other and at this point I have no interest in trying anything else out in the foreseeable future. I think the Xcurve frame and Solo bag would be a great combo for the length of hunts (3-5 days), your talking about. I no longer have my Solo bag and every now and then I think that I may have made a mistake by selling it, but I guess I could always pick up another one if I decide that I can't live without it.:) The actual wt. of my old Solo bag on the Xcurve/medium belt frame was 69oz. or 4.3 lbs.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ran a DT1 and a KU for several years but couldn't get a really good fit when packing heavy loads. 4 years ago a used SG Krux with Terminus and Solo bags came up for sale here locally, so I picked it up for a decent price. Shortly after using the SG frame I decided that the fit was better for me and sold both the Kifaru's. Since then I've bought and sold several different SG bags/frames and now just have a Krux/Approach for my son, and a Xcurve/and multiple bags for me. The Xcurve frame/belt fits me like no other and at this point I have no interest in trying anything else out in the foreseeable future. I think the Xcurve frame and Solo bag would be a great combo for the length of hunts (3-5 days), your talking about. I no longer have my Solo bag and every now and then I think that I may have made a mistake by selling it, but I guess I could always pick up another one if I decide that I can't live without it.:) The actual wt. of my old Solo bag on the Xcurve/medium belt frame was 69oz. or 4.3 lbs.

Right on, thanks for the reply. I think it's probably worth the try with a stone glacier pack. It seems like the solo and one of their meat bags would make a perfect set up for what im looking for with this pack plus I could probably just dump my kifaru and get the sky talus 6900 if I saw the need. I'm not saying I don't like my kifaru, I absolutely do but i just can't help thinking that the SG would suit me better. thanks again!!!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use both, for me it depends on my mission. If I'm needing to pack large or odd shaped loads the Kifaru works better for me, but for long range sheep hunts my Sky 7400 - Xcurve Frame + 3 Piece Medium Belt + Sky 7400 bag, gets packed. The SG runs a bit lighter and when every little bit counts, I choose the SG. My waist size changes from 32 to 30 and the SG belt fits me a bit better as well.

Thanks for chiming in, now that you and AKtroutbum have given SG the thumbs up I think it's probably worth the shot, I can order up the frame and then just grab a solo when it's back in stock since I'm not in a big hurry yet. I can still load it up and do some training with it. If I really like it, I'd possibly switch over to SG exclusively but that's a ways off.

Thanks again!

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve owned every pack both companies make. I’m currently running a Fulcrum on my “heavy duty” hunts and the new SG 5100 on an XCurve for my light duty hunts. I’ve had a couple SG solos but for me the larger SG packs go into daypack mode so nicely, I have no need for a Solo. The 5900 and SG 6900 are perfect sheep/extreme mountain hunt packs.

Both companies serve a “purpose” for me, and I’d hate to go without either option but if I could only own one pack it would be a SG Talus 6900 on a XCurve Frame. Very light, versatile set up.

Last edited:
I just made the jump. I have the krux frame and two of their small bags. The main difference I have found is the weight. These stone glacier frames and bags are light.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If the SG's were 26" I'd try one.

I can’t remember for sure but I did measure my XCurve frame when I first got it, and I think it was 25 1/2”. If you have the opportunity I would suggest checking them out, I don’t think you would notice a difference in a half inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
I've flip flopped back and forth between both SG and kifaru. Currently using the kifaru. I used both SG frames, I like the x-curve better between the two. Comes down to comfort with the heavy loads though, and for me the belt on the duplex wins. I do love the simplicity and cleanliness look and function of the SG bags. If I could, I would have both SG and kifaru. Like mentioned, I would go for a bigger SG bag as they compact down so nicely. I really liked the sky 5100 for a day pack and weekend pack. I think if you can have both , give SG a try.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Good stuff everybody. I'm going to order up a SG pack here when I get back to work and go from there. Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure what bag I'll go with I already have the fulcrum and it's massive so I'll go with something smaller but then again, I may end up getting the 6900 and switching over to SG completely, we'll see.

tttoadman

WKR
I have both. I chose to fit a duplex belt on my krux frame and make my own curved stays rather than go with a new x-curve. I am really a fan of the pals webbing on the belt.

If you have a 28" kifaru frame, I would worry about the torso length on the X-curve frame. Perhaps call the SG guys, or try to find someone close by that will let you try one on.

I would agree the SG bags are super easy to cinch down. I think the Solo is a little tight for 4 days. I loved it for the panel zipper, but I did get rid of it and picked up a terminus bag. If you do get a Solo bag, the trick may be to run the 1200 guide lid on it for a 4 day hunt.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have both. I chose to fit a duplex belt on my krux frame and make my own curved stays rather than go with a new x-curve. I am really a fan of the pals webbing on the belt.

If you have a 28" kifaru frame, I would worry about the torso length on the X-curve frame. Perhaps call the SG guys, or try to find someone close by that will let you try one on.

I would agree the SG bags are super easy to cinch down. I think the Solo is a little tight for 4 days. I loved it for the panel zipper, but I did get rid of it and picked up a terminus bag. If you do get a Solo bag, the trick may be to run the 1200 guide lid on it for a 4 day hunt.

I wonder how much of an issue the stay length would be, I don't think I really need the 28" frame, its just when discussing the specific use for my bag the guys at Kifaru said I could go that route, thats also how I ended up with the tactical frame. I think I could probably get away with a 26" kifaru frame (thats what I was planning to get for my Tahr) so it seems like the SG stays at 25.5-26" would probably be ok. Unfortunately theres nobody here who has one for me to try so I sort of have to buy blind or call up SG and talk to the which I should do anyways. The only packs anybody ha out here are barleys frame packs except me with my Kifaru.

Gumbo

WKR
It all depends on what fits you best with both heavy and light loads in my opinion, which sounds obvious but seems overlooked, and there is no way to tell unless you try them all. I started with MR which was a huge step up from my previous packs and I loved it. I then needed to get a larger overnight set up and tried the SG Krux with Sky 5900. I could not get that bag to carry comfortably at all for me (and the bag was a little small), I guess I have kind of a finicky back. So I bought a Kifaru 26 and AMR, which carried amazingly well on my back. I still used the MR (with NICE frame and load lifters) for day hunts but it started to hurt my back too, so I began using the Kifaru with a Nomad. I found I didn't like the height of the 26 inch frame when bushwhacking through nasty stuff or when crawling in open terrain (I'd hit my head) so I bought a 24 inch Kifaru frame to use for day hunts, and sold the nomad and bought a Reckoning for the 24 inch frame.

On a tangent, one reason I like the AMR for extended trips is that it doesn't stick up as far, which is a big consideration for me in the elk woods. I considered trying a new X-curve instead of buying a 24 inch Kifaru but the SG bags seem so tall and I already had a frame that was working great for me. Honestly, I don't fret at all over a couple pounds in pack weight, I'd rather have the bag that rides better on my back, but again, you can't know until you try them all. And I'm not going on crazy adventure hunts, packing in a few miles for elk once or twice a year is as wild as I get, so maybe a couple pounds does add up on a longer trip.

It all depends on what fits you best with both heavy and light loads in my opinion, which sounds obvious but seems overlooked, and there is no way to tell unless you try them all. I started with MR which was a huge step up from my previous packs and I loved it. I then needed to get a larger overnight set up and tried the SG Krux with Sky 5900. I could not get that bag to carry comfortably at all for me (and the bag was a little small), I guess I have kind of a finicky back. So I bought a Kifaru 26 and AMR, which carried amazingly well on my back. I still used the MR (with NICE frame and load lifters) for day hunts but it started to hurt my back too, so I began using the Kifaru with a Nomad. I found I didn't like the height of the 26 inch frame when bushwhacking through nasty stuff or when crawling in open terrain (I'd hit my head) so I bought a 24 inch Kifaru frame to use for day hunts, and sold the nomad and bought a Reckoning for the 24 inch frame.

On a tangent, one reason I like the AMR for extended trips is that it doesn't stick up as far, which is a big consideration for me in the elk woods. I considered trying a new X-curve instead of buying a 24 inch Kifaru but the SG bags seem so tall and I already had a frame that was working great for me. Honestly, I don't fret at all over a couple pounds in pack weight, I'd rather have the bag that rides better on my back, but again, you can't know until you try them all. And I'm not going on crazy adventure hunts, packing in a few miles for elk once or twice a year is as wild as I get, so maybe a couple pounds does add up on a longer trip.

Gumbo is on to something with the height of the Stone Glacier packs, I’m 6’2 and the 6900 loaded for a ten day hunt stands at I’d guess close to 7’ by the time it’s loaded on my back. The positive for having a narrow tall pack is once you load the meat shelf you don’t have weight hanging as far behind you as most of the other pack companies, it keeps your centre of gravity a little closer to where it’d be normally. It is a trade off and for me tall and skinny and keeping centre of gravity closer is worth it. I have used a lot of packs and I really like my 6900 in day pack mode as well I used to run separate packs for that but not anymore.
b2532eb81482afb4ade74e0b61fded65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ok, SG frame ordered, Ill mess around with it and do a bit of training with a sandbag until the Solo pack comes in stock, at the same time ill play around with the Tahr/guide lid setup on my current Kifaru frame to see what I want to do. We will see what happens next and ill give some Sid eby side comparisons as I get stuff tested and sorted out.