Kuiu Help

MT257

WKR
I am potentially looking at getting into a Kuiu pack. Either the Ultra 1800 or 3000 or Icon 1850 or 3200. My intended use is for day packs that I can put the essentials in such as game bags a knife or two, water and have room to also pack a shed layer if need be. Do these packs have a shelf to be able to put quarter on them between the bag and frame? Any sort of insght is welcome. Thanks!

LaHunter

WKR
You can separate the bag from the frame to put quarters or gear in there. I would recommend the Icon Pro vs the Ultra. Both use the identical same frame, but the belt and shoulder straps are much better with the Icon Pro, in my opinion. Also, the Icon Pro bags are made with 500D Cordura and the Ultra bags are made with lighter wt fabric. I've hauled out deer with my Icon Pro 5200 and it has performed well for me over the past 4 seasons.

Hope this helps

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
I have several packs, the Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 is my go to pack when I'm doing an all day hunt or 1 day overnight. I tend to bring a lot of stuff on day hunts, and I still have quite a bit of room in my pack. If you don't bring much stuff you might want to get something smaller. The Kuiu packs don't necessarily have a load shelf, but they have what they call a load sling. The pack pulls away from the frame so the meat can be placed between the pack and frame and compressed. I'll try to post a pic of my brother packing out his bull elk from last year using my pack. He had a hind quarter in the load sling and the head strapped to the top of the pack and about 25 lbs of gear in the pack. I think the pic is on my phone, I'll put it in the next post.

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
I also ha e a Kifaru and Exo pack, let me know if you have any questions.
c01f52134908616965042fb928120ece.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy s7 via the U.S. Postal Service

OP
M

MT257

WKR
Has the stitching held up well for you guys as well?

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
Has the stitching held up well for you guys as well?
I bought my Kuiu in 2014. I've hauled out two elk, three mule deer and two antelope. I usually take it on three short hunt every year. I take really good care of my stuff, I'm pretty anal. My pack looks like new except for a few blood stains. No stitching has pulled out at all. The only pack I own where I've had trouble with the stitching falling apart is a Tenzing.

Sent from my Galaxy s7 via the U.S. Postal Service

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I know you asked about Kuiu, but for your uses, Id also check out a 22" kifaru frame with the 22mag bag.

LaHunter

WKR
I have had my Icon Pro 5200 since they first were available, I think that is about 2014. The stitching has held up perfectly for me. I use my pack for about 10 days / year in WY hunting and I will train with it for about 3-4 months each year prior to my hunt.

I have replaced the shoulder straps, which Kuiu replaced at no cost to me, due to the little plastic part that fits into the frame slot became loose and would rotate 360 degrees.

Hope this helps

GLB

WKR
I just received my Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 that I bought for the same reasons that you mentioned. I wanted a day pack that can haul a load out. I hope to break it in this up coming spring bear season. Happy with the setup so far.

JP100

WKR
dont do it!
No matter how cheap/cool/good the Kuiu seems I would not buy one(have had multiple failures). The plastic thing in the shoulder straps(as mentioned above) is an issue on every Kuiu pack ive seen. Have had them tear out of the straps. Kuiu still ignores the issue, simply sending you more shoulder straps. Which is a good short term fix but does not solve a design issue.

Get and Exo,Kifaru or Stone glacier. all are better options.

xcutter

WKR
I've really been happy with my Kuiu Packs. No issues thus far. Made several heavy hauls with my 2013 Icon 1850 with 70 pounds in it. I also got a 3200 Icon Pro but haven't had the chance to use it yet. Really like the 1850 for a day pack and hauls a load well. I'm thinking the 3200 will be a better choice as the 1850 can get packed tight with gear real fast.

Could someone post a pic of the shoulder strap issue? Haven't heard of that yet.

LaHunter

WKR
I've really been happy with my Kuiu Packs. No issues thus far. Made several heavy hauls with my 2013 Icon 1850 with 70 pounds in it. I also got a 3200 Icon Pro but haven't had the chance to use it yet. Really like the 1850 for a day pack and hauls a load well. I'm thinking the 3200 will be a better choice as the 1850 can get packed tight with gear real fast.

Could someone post a pic of the shoulder strap issue? Haven't heard of that yet.

The issue is with the little plastic tab on the back of the shoulder strap. This is the tab that fits into the slot in the frame. If the should strap is positioned too high on the frame, when you put the pack on the angle of the strap is such that the strap is pulling away from the frame where the tab is located, and it can pull it loose. I just make sure that I position the straps on the frame low enough so that the shoulder strap is flat against the frame in the area where the plastic tab is located. This positions the load lifter strap properly for me when I have my pack on. You can check this in a mirror when you have your pack on with a moderate load. I found that mine would spin 360 degrees when I was washing my pack after season last year. Other than that I never noticed any performance issue, since the velcro holds the straps in place firmly.

Hope this makes sense, I don't have any photos.

Dusty2426

WKR
Drank the kifaru pack cool aid and just couldn’t get it to feel right. (Haven’t tried the others) Quality built no doubt but felt awkward. Went back with Kuiu pro and never looked back. I have the 7200 pro and ultra 3000 bag I swap out depending on hunt