Outdoorsman package?

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
I️ will be going on my first multi day (5 day) elk hunt next year. I️ have done plenty of 2 or 3 day whitetail hunts with some smaller low end packs but never needed a larger pack,/tripod for glassing etc. for a hunt. I️ still need a lot of good gear for this trip so I️ am wondering... how good of a deal is the Outdoorsman package in the link below? I️ usually believe in the “buy once cry once” method, but is this a decent deal to get me started for a year or two then I️ can upgrade or can I️ get a better pack and tripod by piecing it together? Thanks for any tips.

Outdoorsmans Glassing Package

Trial153

WKR
I will go out on a limb and say that the consensus will say you can do better piece mealing it together. That said the package sure is easy....

500 will get you into a Kifaru or MR ect
200 will get you a nice tripod
200 more for a nice pan head and stud..

OP
K

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
I will go out on a limb and say that the consensus will say you can do better piece mealing it together. That said the package sure is easy....

500 will get you into a Kifaru or MR ect
200 will get you a nice tripod
200 more for a nice pan head and stud..

Thanks, I️ just started looking and yeah this seems easy but I have time. I️ really want a MR or Exo bag but don’t know that much about tripods and adapters so I️ thought this might be an easy way out, lol

Trial153

WKR
i mean you could get a serviceable tripod and panbead for like 125 look at vortex ss ...not the lightest but will work.

S&S archery has stud and adaptor for like 40 bucks that works fine.

So what i am getting at is that you can get into a top end pack and cut corner a little bit on the other end and still come in under the cost of the kit.

All that said and to be honest i know nothing about the outdoors men packs, they maybe great ...or suck or anything in between.

OP
K

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I️ kinda figured that but wanted to throw it out there and see if this just happened to be a good bulk deal.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a $1000 bucks you could easily get top notch gear. You could buy a used pack of your choice right on Rokslide, along with the tripod and pan head.

The Outdoorsman pack is a unique pack and I tell people they should try it before they buy it or give yourself enough time to get it shipped, try it, send it back if you don't like it and get another. Their pack is fairly rigid vertically, but has a tremendous amount of flex horizontally and diagonally. This allows the pack to move some as you walk, but under heavy loads you feel it flexing and it doesn't seem as stable. Their tripods though can't be beat for quality and durability. The micro pan head is also unique. It functions like the standard pan head, but because it is smaller it is not as easy to use. The pistol head they offer is top quality though. Everything you are looking for is easily had if you are patient and buy used.

I️ will be going on my first multi day (5 day) elk hunt next year. I️ have done plenty of 2 or 3 day whitetail hunts with some smaller low end packs but never needed a larger pack,/tripod for glassing etc. for a hunt. I️ still need a lot of good gear for this trip so I️ am wondering... how good of a deal is the Outdoorsman package in the link below? I️ usually believe in the “buy once cry once” method, but is this a decent deal to get me started for a year or two then I️ can upgrade or can I️ get a better pack and tripod by piecing it together? Thanks for any tips.

Outdoorsmans Glassing Package

That package is a really good deal. I did not go with that package since I already had a Kifaru pack and understand that the Outdoorsman Optics Hunter pack does not work well with people who are over 6' tall or have long torsos. That being said, the medium tripod and the micro pan head are simply amazing. I purchased those right before my archery hunts and never regretted it. I tried to piece together a system for much less and in the end, it just did not work (http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/58018-binocular-tripod-setup-budget.html#post826060). The biggest problem with the other systems is the lack of interchangeability between the binocular mounts and the spotting scope mounts. With the Outdoorsmans' system, it takes me about 5 seconds to change from binocular to spotting scope. Because of this, I am able to glass more comfortably and for longer hours. Which meant I spotted more game than others in my party.

I have not had a chance to use the pack or the glassing pad, so I cannot comment. I just used a foam sleeping pad, but have noticed after only one season how chewed up it is getting. I still have my eyes on the glassing pad.

I would recommend the glassing package if you are not too tall. Once you get the mounting bracket for your binoculars, you will be very happy with the system.

OP
K

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
That package is a really good deal. I did not go with that package since I already had a Kifaru pack and understand that the Outdoorsman Optics Hunter pack does not work well with people who are over 6' tall or have long torsos. That being said, the medium tripod and the micro pan head are simply amazing. I purchased those right before my archery hunts and never regretted it. I tried to piece together a system for much less and in the end, it just did not work (http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/58018-binocular-tripod-setup-budget.html#post826060). The biggest problem with the other systems is the lack of interchangeability between the binocular mounts and the spotting scope mounts. With the Outdoorsmans' system, it takes me about 5 seconds to change from binocular to spotting scope. Because of this, I am able to glass more comfortably and for longer hours. Which meant I spotted more game than others in my party.

I have not had a chance to use the pack or the glassing pad, so I cannot comment. I just used a foam sleeping pad, but have noticed after only one season how chewed up it is getting. I still have my eyes on the glassing pad.

I would recommend the glassing package if you are not too tall. Once you get the mounting bracket for your binoculars, you will be very happy with the system.

Thank you for this feedback!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had the pack, it was a no go. You can't go wrong with their tripods and heads.....awesome stuff, but you would be way better off with a different pack and you've got plenty of time to figure that out.

Randy