Mystery Ranch MARSHALL questions

Fellad31

FNG
I purchased a Mystery Ranch Marshall from Optics Planet at a decent price I think. Is $320 a good price for this pack? Seriously wondering. Ok so I this thing is huge and has straps and buckles everywhere! I have no idea what I'm doing with this pack as I have 0 experience with backcountry backpacking. Can anyone help guide through this pack, and how to pack it for a backcountry elk hunt. I'm heading to Idaho 66A in September. I found a video on Mystery Ranch pack but it wasn't the Marshall. I'm just alittle intimidated by this thing. Thanks in advance.

Dameon

WKR
You got a great price on a great pack. The first order of business is fitting the pack to your body. MR has a helpful video on their website and YouTube for that. After that, it’s time to organize the pack into how you use are going to use it. The bag can obviously carry a lot of gear for a several day hunt. If you are bivy hunting, you will haul it everywhere. If you are making base camp, you can drop a lot of gear and cinch down the straps and run it as a day pack.

For daypack mode, I cinch the bottom straps and the side straps. When cinching, I fold the loose bag material back into the body of the bag so I don’t have extra material flapping around. When done, I secure all loose webbing with the Velcro keepers.

When running day mode, I carry rain gear, water bladder, tarp, and kill kit in the main bag. First aid kit and puffy and spotter (if I carry one) go in the tube pockets. Snacks, gloves, extra batteries and headlamps go in the lid. Trekking poles go in side pocket. Tripod goes in other side pocket.

When running bivy mode, the above organization is the same. I compress my down bag into a eVent compression sack and shove it into the bottom section. I shove my pad, tarp, and bivy in there too. I add a compression sack with food to the main bag, helinox knock-off chair, primos lantern, cook kit, and extra clothes in the main bag. Cinch the straps tight to suck it all in and secure the webbing with the Velcro keepers.

The MR Marshall is a great back and you can organize it hoe you see fit, but that is what works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
As suggested check out the MR website, and search for MR packs on Youtube. Lots and lots of videos on them. Any of their packs with a NICE frame, or the guide light adjust the same way. Make sure that you adjust it with about 30-40 pounds of stuff in it. I find that if you don't have weight in it, you will have to re-adjust later on. I have the older Marshall and a Crewcab. Great packs.

Everyone will have a way to pack it for their situation. Take some hikes with it in your area and get used to it. Pack it like you would for a day elk hunt, and try different ways. You'll figure out where to put things as you go. I could tell you how I pack mine, but my careful organization pre-trip only lasts until I get to camp. Then it is a randomly stuff it into the pack where ever it fits endeavor. I can't stay that organized on the trail.

One thing on that pack. Take heavy duty garbage bags to put the quarters in while you transport them to keep the pack clean. I know it separates from the frame to pack quarters, but just putting them in the main bag works better IMO. It has plenty of room, and you will be able to keep the load distributed better if you don't separate the bag from the frame. Just my opinion, but that works better for me. You want the heavy stuff tight to you back as close to your center of gravity as you can get it (mid-back to between shoulders).

$320 is a steal. Good snag on that pack. Good luck next fall.

Jeremy

OP
Fellad31

Fellad31

FNG
Sweet guys thanks! I woke up on July 4th with an email from Optics Planet and checked their website and there was 1 left in "Foilage". I feel this pack is going to be all I need. We plan to pack in and set up camp so I'll be using it as day pack for the rest of week, unless we move camps. I like the idea of not taking off the bag to haul the meat out. I don't think I could get it back on right, and I hope we have meat to haul out! Thanks again guys for your tips and ideas. Happy hunting.

Sam01

FNG
Great info provided already.
Get the fit right.
Hike with it.
Figure out the load shelf before you need to use it. It’s not that difficult but sometimes it is just easier to throw it in the bag and the Marshall is big enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Another backpack is literally the last thing I'd need right now (I have a kifaru and a stone glacier) but for 320.00 I'd buy a Marshall.

boom

WKR
you stole that thing!!

i have the new Metcalf. i got out my iphone snapped a few pics and then cracked open a beer..i took it all apart. and put it back together.. next time i buy a big bag of rice from costco, i'll take it back apart and try to cinch it into the meat shelf. i think practicing in my living room will be a good investment of time. but honestly, ..it was very intuitive the first time.

now if i could only get an elk to cooperate..

I sure wish I had seen this sooner. I would have loved to be able to get a Marshall for that cheap.