Mods to horn hunter full curl

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
I would say if you see a big tripod and spotter in your future maybe plan an upgrade.
If not I'd try some of the upgrades to your HH,
For me it was a 4 tier upgrade, comfort,layout,weight,and I hated getting to the water bladder if the big bag was on.

But you also gotta relise 100lbs is 100lbs it's only gonna be so comfortable.

Yeah. I realized that the only real issue I have with the pack is the hip belt. Decided to get a kifaru belt to try out. Thank you so much for your help. Nice to talk through it with someone who has been in this boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaGriz

WKR
quibton,
I have made a modification that may interest you. I managed to adapt a EXO hip belt to my HH Full Curl pack. I have the older non-adjustable model. Found the stock hip belt to be stiff and uncomfortable. The proposed upgrade to a Omni belt was more pricey than I wanted. Got the EXO belt for around $30 + shipping. Had a local guy stich in a pocket to accommodate the HH frame. This ran my costs up more than I had had hoped. The result is more comfortable, but is as yet untested with a load. I will send you some pictures of the mods if you like. I think I would be best served to go ahead and bite the bullet and buy a EXO 5500 or 3500 and be thru with the experiment. I have read that shed hunters really like the FC for the versatility while performing this task. Since owning this pack I can see why. Its well built if not a little too heavy. FYI - Original belt is available for sale or trade. Open to offers.

LaGriz

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
Thanks for the info LaGriz. I ordered a kifaru duplex belt to try out. Have yet to get it, but will report back with my experience with it once I have used it for a while.

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
Got the duplex belt a couple weeks ago and have put about 15 miles on with weight. This made this pack way more comfortable. Padding is excellent and belt just hugs the hip bones perfect. Glad I decided to go this route.
Thanks to everyone that helped out.

Here is my setup. Just need to find a holster for my .45 to attach to the hip belt.

b45b6007d449cae0e0e088b1479f2f0b.jpg

efnm

WKR
How did you end up attaching it to the HH frame? I'd appreciate some pictures on what you did or more info as I want to do the same thing.

It looks great!

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
It’s literally plug and play. Duplex belt has one extra strap on each side compared to HH belt (strap in my hand in pic). I’m just going to roll these up and store them out of the way.
I had extra female buckles to put on the duplex strap that would be used and buckled it into the stock location.
99fcbc8697e6e18e230a6a979e8a4248.jpg

6d460b4e778cb39278269ea7469b33f4.jpg

colersu22

WKR
That strap goes to the shoulder straps on the Kifaru frame. You said it was comfortable how it is, I wonder if it would be much different if you attached those straps from the belt to the shoulder straps.

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
That strap goes to the shoulder straps on the Kifaru frame. You said it was comfortable how it is, I wonder if it would be much different if you attached those straps from the belt to the shoulder straps.

I’ll have to try that. I had no clue where they should have gone. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll update after trying

efnm

WKR
Huh, I would have assumed you sewed something, so that's great to see. You did have to cut off the HH belt, right?

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
Nope, no cutting at all and no sewing. Super easy swap.
I did just try out the advice colersu22 gave and ran those “extra” straps to the shoulder buckles on the HH frame. After doing that, I feel silly for not realizing that’s where they were supposed to go.
Just pull out stock HH straps from shoulder buckles and put duplex straps in place.
Here is a pic of it set up how it should be (fingers pointing at kifaru straps attaching to HH frame).
2d30e24aa0a2f9ad5274db358aeae37d.jpg

efnm

WKR
This is going to a be useful thread for the next guy. I didn't realize how easy it was to pull out the belt until I just did.

Did you see any pocket for the bottom of the aluminum stays to rest on, like the HH belt has? I would think that the belt will slide up (or pack down in relation to belt) without it.

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
This is going to a be useful thread for the next guy. I didn't realize how easy it was to pull out the belt until I just did.

Did you see any pocket for the bottom of the aluminum stays to rest on, like the HH belt has? I would think that the belt will slide up (or pack down in relation to belt) without it.

The duplex belt has a pocket for the stays to slide down into just like the HH belt.