Stone Glacier 2018

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else notice the new stuff by Stone Glacier for 2018?

A new, larger pack bag, a brand new Stone Glacier branded tent, and a new light weight frame. In the comments its pretty nice to note SG claims all pack bags (current and past) and all frames (Current and past) are inter-changeable. I enjoy seeing the new stuff! Details below.... Supposed to be more info coming out this week....

Instagram
Meet the Sky Guide 7900! One of the awesome NEW additions to the SG 2018 line up. This pack is built to be a true workhorse designed with feedback from the most demanding mountain guides. Stay tuned for more details soon!

Instagram
Our all new 4 season Skyscraper 2P tent at 10,000’ on a crisp fall Idaho day. The large floor plan and large vestibules don’t paint the whole story....livability in a backcountry tent is extremely important and just square footage can be misleading. More important is total volume, especially at your head and shoulder area. The Skyscraper boasts a total volume of 108.6 cu ft and an interior height of 41.5”. Coupled with light colored textiles to welcome natural light the Skyscraper will be your new best friend on backcountry days spent stuck in your tent.

Instagram
There’s a lot of really awesome things goin on right here. SG Designer, Kurt Racicot (@kurtracicot), has been testing his newest frame on a recent Montana sheep hunt with his dad. Stay tuned next week for the release of our newest products including our lightest frame ever!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah the new stuff coming out looks awesome. Ill probably get the tent, I dont know about the sky guide bag though, Ill probably just get the sky talus for my x-curve frame.

Im a little dissapointed that theres a new frame coming out because I JUST got my x-curve with the intention of building an ultralight pack to compliment my bigger Kifaru pack....now theres a lighter one???

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think all three of the big pack companies have excellent service. I run Stone Glacier and Kifaru and both are top notch. I have no experience with EXO but I havn't heard any complaints either.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the new stuff coming out looks awesome. Ill probably get the tent, I dont know about the sky guide bag though, Ill probably just get the sky talus for my x-curve frame.

Im a little dissapointed that theres a new frame coming out because I JUST got my x-curve with the intention of building an ultralight pack to compliment my bigger Kifaru pack....now theres a lighter one???

I wouldn't worry about it, I think the new one will be a flat back model, like the Krux was. If the x-curve fits you the new one probably won't? And I'm guessing we are going to be talking about a weight savings of 1 or 2 oz's...hardly enough to worry about.

Eagle

WKR
I wouldn't worry about it, I think the new one will be a flat back model, like the Krux was. If the x-curve fits you the new one probably won't? And I'm guessing we are going to be talking about a weight savings of 1 or 2 oz's...hardly enough to worry about.

I think this is correct. Word I've heard is flat back and 2.44 lbs (2lb7oz). For serious load hauling and comfort, the xCurve is likely to be the way to go still, for trips where every ounce matters (fly in hunts and the like) the new frame may be desirable. For those that need flat pack frames, it should be a great option.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I for one am curious if the Guide 7900 is a lighter pack than the Sky 7400 with the spotting scope attachment add on. Can't imagine its more than a few ounces different, but curious none the less.. :)

Kotaman

WKR

For as light as the XCurve is and for as comfortable as it is, I'm not going to worry about a few oz. I will be taking a hard look at that bag though.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is correct. Word I've heard is flat back and 2.44 lbs (2lb7oz). For serious load hauling and comfort, the xCurve is likely to be the way to go still, for trips where every ounce matters (fly in hunts and the like) the new frame may be desirable. For those that need flat pack frames, it should be a great option.

Wow. If true, isn't that half a pound lighter than the xcurve?

deadwolf

WKR
It would be cool to see something just a little bigger than the solo without going up to the 5900. like a 4-4500.

I wanted the same, so I added an access bag and lid to my Solo to get to 4700ci. Works like a champ, really versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
did i see some new color options possibly?
From their instagram post they just showed some "olive drab like" shoulder straps. Looked also like the bag color was a little darker. They said at the end of the week, they'll have all of the new products to view.

That is substantial. I don't see how that can be done without sacrificing durability.
Ya, idk. New material probably. Or a way to use less materials but put together in a different orientation, that makes it just as strong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk