New Mystery Ranch Packs

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Dang looks like I may have bought a pack from them 1 year early. I am interested in seeing what they do with their larger packs.

Does anyone know if the 2018 Metcalf/Pintler will detach from the frame completely? Or are they still sewn onto it via the load shelf.

[video=vimeo;230804842]https://vimeo.com/230804842[/video]

Just wished the demo continued with the separation of the pack from frame.

I have the Pintler and the bag separate via two buckles. The male end is attached via the Oveload shelf material.

If appears on the frame by itself, it comes with longer lashing to attach bag via these buckles. So, if you purchase a bag, thinking you'll have a "shelf"...make sure it does. On the Pintler site, MR doesn't show any pictures of the back of the bag.
Again, not sure why MR doesn't show enough pictures on their packs.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The earlier guide lite frame I saw used ladderlocs where the load shelf connected into, the one I bought last year used buckles, either of those can be totally removed. No clue what the latest is but I don't see any logical reason they would make a change that the bags are permanently affixed.

Edit: to be clear the load shelf is part of the individual bag not the frame, the straps of the load shelf is where it detaches from the frame.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I knew this would come handy some day
the two buckles that would separate the bag from frame *picture too big click instead
Gallery of pictures here

Yep, and if you go to blackovis's video of the original release on the frame those were ladderlocs (video at 1:07 or on my screen the video start screen is showing them) but in both cases the bags remove, one just has a buckle, the other unthreads. :)
[video=youtube;x827H-O_LdU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x827H-O_LdU[/video]

NDGuy

WKR
I haven't checked but I am pretty sure the 2017 model Metcalf can't completely detach from the pack. I wanted to get the Metcalf and Pintler and use as needed. Looks like I might've F'd up.

I stand corrected. You can detach the Metcalf from the frame. Ordering a Pintler!

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I will see if I can shine some light on the questions...

-- The Pop Up 28 and 18 packs use 7075 aluminum that is the same strength and durability and trekking pole tubing. MR went with the burliest tubing possible, while keeping overall diameter in check. These packs will handle heavy duty loads, but not quite as comfortably as the GuideLight series. They are designed for the hunter who may not need the full Monty of a GuideLight pack/frame, but still wants the ability to haul an animal out of the woods. The weight and lower profile silhouette is more like a daypack vs a big hauler, yet it has the hauling capabilities a lot of dawn till dusk day hunters want once the "pop up" frame is snapped into place.

-- The Terraframe 80 takes the Overload Shelf feature found in GuideLight packs and applies it to the backpacking/mountaineer/hiking community. Bags are not cross-compatible (meaning a Pintler or Marshall won't go on the Terraframe, and vice versa) as the Terraframe uses different buckles/hardware compared to the GuideLight series, which uses beefier autolock buckles; something backcountry hunters prefer and need, as the loads are heavier. The Terraframe is unique to the backpacker/climber set via the Overload Shelf feature -- think ropes, hardware, food bags, bear canisters, etc.

-- All bags on the GuideLight series or new Terraframes completely detach from the frame. Great for cleaning, etc.

-- Bag only options are the Pintler and Mule. Also women's specific harnessing is available for the Metcalf and Pintler, as well as Sub Alpine camo in most styles.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Terraframe is the same height as the GuideLight frame.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I will see if I can shine some light on the questions...

-- The Pop Up 28 and 18 packs use 7075 aluminum that is the same strength and durability and trekking pole tubing. MR went with the burliest tubing possible, while keeping overall diameter in check. These packs will handle heavy duty loads, but not quite as comfortably as the GuideLight series. They are designed for the hunter who may not need the full Monty of a GuideLight pack/frame, but still wants the ability to haul an animal out of the woods. The weight and lower profile silhouette is more like a daypack vs a big hauler, yet it has the hauling capabilities a lot of dawn till dusk day hunters want once the "pop up" frame is snapped into place.

-- The Terraframe 80 takes the Overload Shelf feature found in GuideLight packs and applies it to the backpacking/mountaineer/hiking community. Bags are not cross-compatible (meaning a Pintler or Marshall won't go on the Terraframe, and vice versa) as the Terraframe uses different buckles/hardware compared to the GuideLight series, which uses beefier autolock buckles; something backcountry hunters prefer and need, as the loads are heavier. The Terraframe is unique to the backpacker/climber set via the Overload Shelf feature -- think ropes, hardware, food bags, bear canisters, etc.

-- All bags on the GuideLight series or new Terraframes completely detach from the frame. Great for cleaning, etc.

-- Bag only options are the Pintler and Mule. Also women's specific harnessing is available for the Metcalf and Pintler, as well as Sub Alpine camo in most styles.

Thanks for your insight. What kind of weight is the Terraframe designed to carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your insight. What kind of weight is the Terraframe designed to carry?

As it has the same geometry/build quality/materials as the GuideLight, you could go north of 100 pounds with no issues.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Terraframe is the same height as the GuideLight frame.

Many thanks.

So I'm assuming there are no plans to offer a larger capacity pack bag for the pop up frame?

Being a short torso, I'm particularly interested in a shorter frame that can be extended when required, but I'd be ideally looking for a pack bag around 70-80L...

What is the frame /stay length on the pop up frame. Both extended and collapsed?

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Many thanks.

So I'm assuming there are no plans to offer a larger capacity pack bag for the pop up frame?

Being a short torso, I'm particularly interested in a shorter frame that can be extended when required, but I'd be ideally looking for a pack bag around 70-80L...

At this time, no plans in the works for larger volume bags for the Pop Up frame, but, you never know!

Not sure if you have tried a GuideLight pack yet, but with the different yoke sizes offered, I am confident you would be able to get a fit you are happy with.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I've got a nice frame with Crew Cab currently for day hunts and an Exo pack for longer trips. Neither really truly fits the bill though.

I have a short torso (16 1/2")so when I hunt with the Exo pack cinched down I keep banging my head on the frame behind my head because it's a 25" frame. The NICE frame is a better height for me for hunting, it is great for day pack use, and I can use the load lifter kit to give more height when packing bigger weights which is great, it's just that the NICE frame is pretty heavy compared to more recent offerings.

I've really wanted a larger pack bag that I can use for expeditions etc and just just cinch down for day hunts, I know I can get the 6500 but again it is just heavy when combined with the NICE frame.

The Terraframe 80 pack connected to a Pop Up frame looks pretty close to what I'd imagine would be an ideal combo for me and my usage, able to be used with a bigger pack bag for backpacking etc but then cinched up with the frame folded down to be incredibly small for hunting.

rjf611

FNG
The pop up looks like a perfect east coast still hunting pack. My main issue has been clearing branches that I duck under, or bob and weave through the hardwoods. Looks like the clearance will be similar to my HPG tarahumara yet I can still pack an animal out when in deep. Upset that it’s not made in USA but this is the best example of a pack that fits this “niche” that I have seen.

Great information on the new and current packs. I was particularly interested to learn about the differences between the GL and TF frames. I'd love to see and try a TF model just to see how it rates in comparison to the Pintler I carry. My gut tells me I'd be staying with my current rig considering the hunts it goes on and potential for multiple heavy loads if I'm successful. The low-profile daypack design of the new packs is nice and I'm sure will be a selling point. I'll add that I've long thought it's more important to have a narrow pack versus a short pack when hunting in cover. I encounter far more lateral obstructions (and noise) in the bush than I do overhead ones. That's just me however.

Finally, very happy to see bags-only available. That's a real plus for owners of GL frames and makes MR a much more versatile/attractive choice.

adamm88

WKR
The pop up looks like a perfect east coast still hunting pack. My main issue has been clearing branches that I duck under, or bob and weave through the hardwoods. Looks like the clearance will be similar to my HPG tarahumara yet I can still pack an animal out when in deep. Upset that it’s not made in USA but this is the best example of a pack that fits this “niche” that I have seen.

These were my thoughts exactly, Plus with the pop up frame if you are back in you could quarter the animal and get a load on on the first trip....Im going to need to find $300 to fund one of these before next year....lol

Stwrt9

WKR
Interested in the Pinter, I already have the Metcalf with guide light. I might have to get rid of my Flash 20.