New Mystery Ranch Packs

i hate to think i am getting gear snobish to point of having species and hunt spefic packs, but who am i kidding. That pop up has my name written all over for a couple of mule deer day hunts i do.

I was thinking the same thing, except for antelope hunting. I want a lower profile pack for long belly crawls, but want longer frame stays for the pack out if I kill. This is a great solution.

boom

WKR
I was thinking the same thing, except for antelope hunting. I want a lower profile pack for long belly crawls, but want longer frame stays for the pack out if I kill. This is a great solution.

agreed..

not all of my hunts are epic mountaintop destinations..the new pack is pretty ingenious for the ones that are not..

This will be a great pack, IMO, for some predator hunters and trappers. I may get one for those very things. Lots of times I’ll walk to 2-3 calling locations and cover a couple of miles. Or, I’ll cover 2-3 miles checking traps. This convertible pack looks like it’d be great for putting a few coyotes and a bobcat in, instead of carrying one of my full frame packs with a meat shelf

Hey now! What do you have against Desolve!? I thought it was a cool camo, at my local store I only could pick that or Foliage.

X2!!

Resolve is a much more effective type of camo for game than multi cam. Multicam is for military (and tacticool weekend warriors) use where you’re trying to fool human eyes. The larger pattern size of Desolve, like Fusion, Kuiu, Predator and others works far better to break up your shape and confuse game animal eyes - particularly ungulates. I’m not all giddy over Desolve but it IS more effective, in a scientific sense, than multicam.

Gotta get what you like, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know where in the greater Denver area a person could go examine these in person? In particular the Pintler, Selway, and Metcalf. Have a hard time ordering sight unseen and am undecided which one would be best for my circumstances. Seems like none of the retailers listed in the MR web site actually have inventory. Thanks,
signed "late to the party"

Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear in wheat ridge.

frankrb3

WKR
This will be a great pack, IMO, for some predator hunters and trappers. I may get one for those very things. Lots of times I’ll walk to 2-3 calling locations and cover a couple of miles. Or, I’ll cover 2-3 miles checking traps. This convertible pack looks like it’d be great for putting a few coyotes and a bobcat in, instead of carrying one of my full frame packs with a meat shelf

X2!!

Resolve is a much more effective type of camo for game than multi cam. Multicam is for military (and tacticool weekend warriors) use where you’re trying to fool human eyes. The larger pattern size of Desolve, like Fusion, Kuiu, Predator and others works far better to break up your shape and confuse game animal eyes - particularly ungulates. I’m not all giddy over Desolve but it IS more effective, in a scientific sense, than multicam.

Gotta get what you like, though.

Sorry man, I still think it's ugly. I'd take multi cam any day over desolve. But you're right, guys gotta get what they like, especially when spending hundreds of dollars on their pack. Wished more pack companies offered more color options so guys could always get exactly what they want, even if it is that heinous desolve. ;)

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry man, I still think it's ugly. I'd take multi cam any day over desolve. But you're right, guys gotta get what they like, especially when spending hundreds of dollars on their pack. Wished more pack companies offered more color options so guys could always get exactly what they want, even if it is that heinous desolve. ;)

I also like desolve camo. Now it’s 2-1

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will anyone be testing these new packs for rokslide?

frankrb3

WKR
I do wish the pop-up 28 had the same type of main compartment opening as the 18. I like dealing with one zipper instead of two every time I wanna get into a pack. Also, it would be nice to see the subalpine as a color option which I'm sure they will release eventually once they have sold a few thousand of these first. Probably next year as a "New Color".

Lol!

Well, sometimes I think it’s more important to hide from the eyes of competing human hunters - game isn’t that hard. Heck, you can get an elk to 20yds at times with solid colors. So, maybe you’re on to something with the multicam - not giving away your secret location to others!! Lol!

For the record, I like multicam and own a little of it. I just know that it’s not actually as effective as some other patterns I wear; and I fully admit, when wearing it in the field, that I’m wearing it ‘for myself’ more than anything. Lol!

CDNPO

FNG
Any reason why the larger guide light bags (selway, Metcalf, marshall) aren't available on their own without a frame?

Also what is the difference between the male and female harnessing?

Do you think the mule bag would work with an older nice frame?
Got an email response from MR. They told me that the Mule and Pintler bags for the GL will fit the NICE frame just fine. I had heard this second hand before, but it was nice to get official confirmation from MR:

"Update for Case 40375 - Compatibility Question

Hello,
Thanks for reaching out to Mystery Ranch! You can use the Pintler and Mule on the NICE frame. You should have no problems. Hope this information helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers,
Joe"

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I like the muticam, have a Pintler and scape goat in it.....add me to the tally

HOPSCOTCH....

That's the one thing about Mystery Ranch that makes me a little crazy. This camo...that camo...no camo....changing camo...I've got camo whiplash or camfusion from it all. I'm 3/4 serious here. I can't comprehend the unpredictable changes and choices. Like...the Tree House: what?...no camo patterns in that pack? Seriously? I would think a no-camo decision for that pack would definitely hamper potential sales to whitetail guys.

elkyinzer

WKR
Dang, I've been looking at that pop up 28 since seeing this thread. I do believe I'm gonna have to have one. Its the perfect pack concept for what I do here in WV.

Man, me too, exactly what I am thinking for my year round PA mountaineering! I've been out of the pack loop for a few years but stumbled across this. Thinking the same thing. It cuts the weight of my NICE/Crew Cab in half with a far better bag and smaller profile frame. I always did like how the NICE frame had the removable load lifters, thought those were great. 24-26+ inch frames are bullshit in the brush we have in the East and the convertible option is ideal if it is well executed. Man I might have to do some budget revisions to get my hands on this thing.

If there are any saddle hunters on here I am thinking with my sticks sandwiched in the meat shelf it might be perfect for that too.

What a genius idea if the execution is there.

Anyone have these in their hands yet to offer some insights?

WKR
winter update....definitely a sizing issue going on here.
kXGQkpu.jpg

As you can see it's cinched up pretty good. Not choking me but the waits belt still slides off my hips and the frame's padding that supposed to rest on the curve/ small of your back/top of sacrum is way lower as seen here

2j3x88h.jpg

I wish this is just a waist belt issue but it seems I could benefit with the yoke being smaller, so I can adjust the frame "higher" to my shoulder, lifting the bottom, and hopefully lift it higher above my waist.
If you know any retailers that carry the Guide Light Frame and ships free vs MR's $20 shipping, I'd greatly appreciate it

besides BlackOvis and Scheels (I'v checked them already). any other retailers that carries Waistbelts or Yokes only for Mystery Ranch?

I'm thinking of trying a smaller size waistbelt for Pintler.

Thanks

It's a little tough to tell with the puffy coat but it looks like that pack is riding way too high.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, I visited with them a couple of weeks ago and they measured

was this questions answered? I went through the replies, but may have missed it

I spoke with one of MR reps today (very knowledgeable young lady, can't recall her name)- discussing the Pop Up; I asked her about load limits on the Pop Up and she though ballpark 80-ish lbs- personally I don't like to haul more than 80 lbs, so that doesn't bother me

I really like this idea (Pop Up), but I would like it even more if I could use one for a week or so to try out :D