Daypack on a budget

rcb2000

WKR
Hi guys, first post here. Originally from Utah, grew up hunting muley’s and grouse up high, and coyotes, ducks down low. Now living in Virginia for work.
Been reading as much as I can before posting to make sure it hasn’t been covered, but haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for.
Without a doubt seems like Kifaru is the way to go for packs, and I fully plan on picking one up when I can.
As for now, supporting a family of four on my income, I might need to save up a while for that.
So for now, I’m looking for a daypack that is small enough to take up in a tree stand, but large enough to handle the weight of packing out a boned out whitetail in a couple trips. I think I’m looking in the 2200-2800 cu area, but could be off. My budget is about $150-$175.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated , in the meantime I’ll do my best to read more, post less.
Cheers

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a Badlands Super Daypack the last few years for deer. It's a frameless pack, so it's not a great option for the pack out, but it will get the job done. It does have a great organization system for a daypack, and if you won't be packing deer for an overly long distance, it should work for you as well. I don't remember what they cost new, I found mine in the bargain cave at Cabelas several years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can find a used Alps Extreme Traverse X for pretty cheap. Heck, Ive seen them new for under $200. It is a solid pack.

boom

WKR
my first pack; a real pack was a Badlands 2800. if i never found rokslide, i would have blissfully and ignorantly gone along thinking that pack was perfectly adequate. (<--that is supposed to ooze of sarcasm)

anyways..first KUDOS to being fiscally responsible. well done. second..Kifaru isnt the only game in town.

find a Badlands. i carried two elk out with one.multiple trips. the weight feels exactly the same as any of my other packs. it suffered in comfort some, but once i'm dragging ass..my legs/lung discomfort dominates.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I just saw Camofire has a Badlands Superday Pack for $125. Might be worth checking into for that price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
Lots of good suggestions, definitely was considering a Badlands, but wanted to hear what people thought. The only other option I was looking at was a Horn Hunter Mainbeam.
It sucks to not be able to get a Kifaru now, but that’s life. I’ll also keep an eye out for used Kifaru’s till I pull the trigger.

Thanks again guys

Lawnboi

WKR
I'd go to the classifieds and make a wtb add with your price range. You might be surprised what you can get, especially during this time of year, when most companies are rolling out new stuff

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
There was a Kifaru Bikini frame for $175 in Classifieds a day or 2 ago(probably sold by now). Deals can be had if you watch and are patient.

Good call regarding the WTB post with some general info on needs and your size requirements.

If you can swing the HH Mainbeam it’s a helluva pack for the money. Had a Mainbeam XL I used for whitetail and training that I really liked. Wasn’t big enough to do a multi day backpack hunt but plenty of pack for whitetail and carries a load well.

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
Thanks for all the replies guys, I've got a good direction to go on.
Happy Hunting!

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using a under armor ridge reaper that has an internal frame for whitetail the last couple years. I also use it for day hikes and scouting. It also gets used when I snowmobile as it is just a very comfy pack. It really is a nice pack but not sure if they still make it. I think I paid like 150 for it.

While I have not tried packing meat I’m sure if you deboned the meat you could get quite a bit out and the internal frame holds weight quite nice.

rjf611

FNG
The HH mainbeam (non xl) has been my go to pack if I am in deep and expect to pack out. My only two complaints are thick shoulder straps and the fact that the pack does not get bigger. What I mean is every pocket you use takes from the interior space in the pack it does not expand outward.
With that said it does pack nice and tight and holds enough gear for my typical day hunt in ny or pa. Very well made and except for the new Mystery ranch pop up 18 that is being discussed in another thread and the Badlands 2200 nothing comes close for my needs. Which is a pack capable off carrying out an animal that I can still hunt in thick eastern hardwoods.

You can find a used Alps Extreme Traverse X for pretty cheap. Heck, Ive seen them new for under $200. It is a solid pack.

This. Alps traverse works well too. You can get the whole deer deboned in any 3000 cubic inch pack. Weights are going to be in the 50-70 pound range with gear and all.

Everyone is telling you what they've used. I'm no different in that regard. But, do not over look the Alps line. Great pack for the money with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

sparelink

FNG
I have a Badlands 2200 that i am looking to sell. i picked it up from a local guy with tags still on it before the last season, used it about 6 days in the field but it just does not fit my body will. no blood, stains or tears. PM me if interested.

Owenst7

WKR
You could get the smallest Osprey Aether new from REI for that price if you start watching for garage items and spring sales. Then you'd have a legit backpack for backpacking trips too. Mine handles packing out elk just fine, and it compresses down small enough to snowboard with.

Gregory has some similar packs that I like, but I haven't caught them on as good of discount.

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
Guys, thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it, lots of good options.
One of the members here was kind enough to offer me a pack he hadn't used in a while for the cost of shipping, such a great guy.
I plan on using that while I keep saving up for a Kifaru.
As I'm sure you all know, this forum is full of great people, another one reached out about a pack he hadn't used in a while as well.
Have a great weekend guys

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I know it's probably a little late now, but Camofire has Mystery Ranch daypacks for $75. Not sure if it's what your'e looking for, just a heads up!