MR Metcalf Rookie Questions

After years of dragging around a horn hunter I got a good black friday deal on a Metcalf. Quality and function seem great, and I've already packed out an entire coues deer with it. all 40 lbs.

My only gripe so far is no exterior spotting scope pocket, which I knew when I bought it. just wondering if theres a way to securely attached a pocket for a 66mm spotting scope that has worked for you guys. IF not i'll just keep it inside the full length zip.

Also are there any hip belt pockets I should be looking at besides the MR ones? I see kuiu's are pretty cheap, will those work?

Any input helps. thanks guys

boom

WKR
dang..congrats to the couse!!

i've come close..but cant connect.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can hang a pocket off the straps if desired but I personally prefer them built in off the bad so its not as potentially floppy. The kuiu belt pockets fit, they rotate around a bit over time, I had a set on mine temporarily until I setup the belt with PALS.

rd8

FNG
I’m dealing with the same issue on a Metcalf. Does anyone have a scope pocket recommendation that attaches securely? I’ve been eyeing Stone Glacier and Kifaru. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
I don't carry one, but if I needed to would it fit in a lid? Else it would be in the main bag easily accessible. To me the nice part about the metcalf is that is is sleek without a lot to grab brush. Never understood the packs with all the tricked out accessories and webbing protruding everywhere.

rd8

FNG
I don't carry one, but if I needed to would it fit in a lid? Else it would be in the main bag easily accessible. To me the nice part about the metcalf is that is is sleek without a lot to grab brush. Never understood the packs with all the tricked out accessories and webbing protruding everywhere.

The only way mine fits in the lid is if I take it apart. I don’t like it banging around with everything in the main pouch and access is easier when it’s separated. Maybe getting a scope pocket and attaching it under the lid and above the main pack would be the best answer for me.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m dealing with the same issue on a Metcalf. Does anyone have a scope pocket recommendation that attaches securely? I’ve been eyeing Stone Glacier and Kifaru. Thanks!

Could make one that the rear horizontal straps clip into as long as the pocket wasn't too wide (the buckle sets on each side would take up some space).

LaHunter

WKR
You can hang a pocket off the straps if desired but I personally prefer them built in off the bad so its not as potentially floppy. The kuiu belt pockets fit, they rotate around a bit over time, I had a set on mine temporarily until I setup the belt with PALS.

Can't imagine why MR wouldn't make the Metcalf with a couple side pockets and maybe a pocket on the front too?? I guessing wt?
I've been scoping out the MR Guide Light Frame and the Metcalf. The frame looks solid, but the lack of pockets sorta turns me off the bag.
I've been running the Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 for a few years. I think the design and pocket layout of this bag is about as close to perfect as it gets, for me. Wish MR had a bag with a similar pocket layout.

Trial153

WKR
one of the things i like about the metcalf is how clean it is. That said i am sure you rig up a solution for a side pocket.
I had a load hawler sewn up for my pintler by a guy on here...some fill in the name ...pods8 maybe? he did a wonderfull job. cant Imagine that I couldn't sew up a side pocket for you

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can't imagine why MR wouldn't make the Metcalf with a couple side pockets and maybe a pocket on the front too?? I guessing wt?
I've been scoping out the MR Guide Light Frame and the Metcalf. The frame looks solid, but the lack of pockets sorta turns me off the bag.
I've been running the Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 for a few years. I think the design and pocket layout of this bag is about as close to perfect as it gets, for me. Wish MR had a bag with a similar pocket layout.

Costs more and they don’t offer those bags separate as-is so unlikely, they’d likely steer ya to the Marshall.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
one of the things i like about the metcalf is how clean it is. That said i am sure you rig up a solution for a side pocket.
I had a load hawler sewn up for my pintler by a guy on here...some fill in the name ...pods8 maybe? he did a wonderfull job. cant Imagine that I couldn't sew up a side pocket for you

Who’s that’s?!? ;) I thought the bag when I temporarily had it was a bit strappy when condensed.

boom

WKR
Who’s that’s?!? ;) I thought the bag when I temporarily had it was a bit strappy when condensed.

i dont run mine condensed. when it is less than full capacity, the tiny weird velcro roll up things do a stellar job at strap management. having said that; i still dont like strap management. i do it begrudgingly. :D

LaHunter

WKR
I just pulled the trigger on a Guide Light Frame / Metcalf Bag. Linton Outdoors is running a pretty good sale right now.
Looking forward to trying it out.

Boreal

WKR
Not sure if this is your solution. Many don't hear about this military accessory
Hitchhiker 2.0 from Mystery Ranch

Quick Attach Accessory

I was intrigued when I saw this post, and now that I've got a Metcalf on order, I'm interested. Do you use the Quick Attach Accessory straps to strap this to the Metcalf? I saw that this is designed for use with the MR military packs, just curious how it attaches to the Metcalf.

rd8

FNG
I recently had Rugged Stitching(pods8) make a pouch to hold my scope where I wanted it. It is designed to be above the main pouch and below the top storage, holding on with webbing through the straps that latch the top to the frame. It gives me easy access to the scope with a zipper on the side, and is well protected with its location.

I had a rough idea what I wanted but pods8 helped iron out the details and made a tremendous product! I would recommend this style pocket to anyone with similar issues, and highly recommend Rugged Stitching on any project ideas you might have. He’s very affordable as well.
4dfc814958358231626b9ec2f209e033.jpg
a469d02ece748a45f62c32b104886323.jpg
0f7a2683fa683741ce225d4c917e0cd9.jpg

boom

WKR
I recently had Rugged Stitching(pods8) make a pouch to hold my scope where I wanted it. It is designed to be above the main pouch and below the top storage, holding on with webbing through the straps that latch the top to the frame. It gives me easy access to the scope with a zipper on the side, and is well protected with its location.

I had a rough idea what I wanted but pods8 helped iron out the details and made a tremendous product! I would recommend this style pocket to anyone with similar issues, and highly recommend Rugged Stitching on any project ideas you might have. He’s very affordable as well.
4dfc814958358231626b9ec2f209e033.jpg
a469d02ece748a45f62c32b104886323.jpg
0f7a2683fa683741ce225d4c917e0cd9.jpg

so the scope sits horizontally?