Any information on Sitka Apex pack?

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a day pack 1500 and smaller. I have the Badlands stalker I enjoy everything about the pack but the camo pattern and the damn waist belt. What a horrendous design. You have to reach almost behind yourself and attempt to spear the little buckle into a piece of "hypalon" that does not stay still. Forget it with gloves. Badlands decided to go to a ultralight ripstop material for their packs in the size I am looking for. Unfortunately the biggest complaint is the material is really loud. My stalker pack is super quiet and simplistic on the outside which I like. I looked into the dayone pack but that thing looks incredibly uncomfortable. I do not pack out animals nor do I carry heavy loads. Looking to carry my knife, headlamp, field dressing kit, a water bladder, and eventually my uncompaghre jacket and pants. Maybe a few other odds and ends.

Im hoping maybe one of the New Sitka offerings will suit my needs. Thanks!

Kotaman

WKR
I saw a short video on the Apex. It is an "unstructured" daypack. (no frame). The size is right where you want it and it has some nice features. Appears as though the pack was made for exactly your use. It is lightweight and really "cradles" your body.

Diesel

WKR
I am looking for a day pack 1500 and smaller. I have the Badlands stalker I enjoy everything about the pack but the camo pattern and the damn waist belt. What a horrendous design. You have to reach almost behind yourself and attempt to spear the little buckle into a piece of "hypalon" that does not stay still. Forget it with gloves. Badlands decided to go to a ultralight ripstop material for their packs in the size I am looking for. Unfortunately the biggest complaint is the material is really loud. My stalker pack is super quiet and simplistic on the outside which I like. I looked into the dayone pack but that thing looks incredibly uncomfortable. I do not pack out animals nor do I carry heavy loads. Looking to carry my knife, headlamp, field dressing kit, a water bladder, and eventually my uncompaghre jacket and pants. Maybe a few other odds and ends.

Im hoping maybe one of the New Sitka offerings will suit my needs. Thanks!

I too am looking for the right day pack for hunting. It would also be good if it could double as a EDC. A while back I was attracted to Kifaru's Urban Zippy but got into looking at other packs. I thought the Kifaru Tarryall was gonna be it till I saw it being worn by someone in a picture and realized it was too big.

So now, after more research, I am back to the Urban Zippy. What you are saying about what you want to use it for lines up with what I need. The case for the Zippy is as follows;

500D cordura
Quiet
Small and relatively narrow
Light weight
Access from top and both sides.
Solid color or camo option
Belt or no belt
Omni panel for stiffness or none (unstructured)
Lock & Load add on option for added capacity
Inside organization in "side door" access panels on both sides
" Hanger organizer pouch" inside at top inside of main bag
Organizer pouch built into outside of top lid
Organizer storage built into top lid on underside of lid
Holds puffys, hats, gloves, neck gaiter or other layers
Outside pockets with straps to secure water bottles or spotter or tripod on both sides.
Inside space for wtter bladder or laptop

What it won't do is carry heavy loads and doesn't have a meat shelf which I don't want in a day pack anyway.

I just sold myself on this as my new day pack. I think it will be in ranger green with omni pad and # 11 lock & load attachment, maybe a belt later.

Check it out, I think this a good fit and I have not found anything with this many options and customization.

Last edited:

Stwrt9

WKR
I haven't had the chance to handle the new Apex Pack yet so i can't really comment to that. One thing i will add is that if it has similar materials and makeup of the Flash 20 you might not be all that impressed, but again i haven't handled it yet. I was in the same boat last year looking to get a designated day pack for similar reasons as stated. I opted to get a Flash 20 as the size seemed to fit my needs and wants. I was left a little disappointing but it did serve me well. For starters i had owned the older Flash 20 and was thinking i would like this newer version which was my deciding factor in the purchase. Sitka went with lighter material that i felt was louder and thinner than previous version. They also nixed the built in rain cover and Water bottle pocket on the outside. My biggest disappointment was the waist belt felt thinner and cheaper especially the straps and buckles. Overall the pack serves it's purpose very well. I'm leaning towards one of the Mystery Ranch Bags to compliment my Metcalf such as the Mule or Pinter. I will add that Mystery ranch just came out with a pack called the Treehouse that is super intriguing.

OP
G

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! I got an email from badlands as well stating that 2018 is going to have some packs coming out that should suit my needs. I guess I’ll check out the suggestions and wait on badlands.