Testing the 2018 Stone Glacier EVO Frame & 40/56 bag

wapitibob

WKR
As noted need to swap out the male ladderloc buckles on one side for female ladderlocs and the straps can buckle together (I X them with a concrete sack since the top strap wants to slip off the top if just going horizontal).

I'm actually a bit surprised the bags/frames aren't setup up that way (ladderloc female off one side of the frame connecting to loop male on the bag vs both sides being male ladderlock off the frame and loop female on the bag) to allow a bag to rapidly be removed to use the frame alone w/o change the type of buckle on the strap. Any of the folks with more experience on their bags have a scenario why? Not sure if it makes sense for certain combinations I'm overlooking.

I want to lash meat to the frame, with a bag attached but not used as a compression panel; ie load shelf and bag have their own compression straps. Are there loops down the side of the frame where I can attach G hook lash straps for the load shelf?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
UPDATE:

I've been spending some time with the new frame and bag in the backcountry packing equipment into the mountains to measure the snow pack. I've also been packing 50 lbs of weight plates around for general fitness training this past month. So far I am incredibly pleased with the new waist belt on the EVO frame. It gives a heavier load more stability and wrap around the pelvis area. The fit feels great as well in the lumbar area as I moved the pad around slightly to get a customized fit. My back is curved but I've never really had a problem with the older Krux frame and this one feels even more comfortable due to the belt.

The pack is working out great as well. The side zip is really important for me to access the bags contents while keeping the harness and back out of the snow. I also like running the bag in bivy mode to keep the bag trim yet sealed from too much snow entry.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

UPDATE:

I've been spending some time with the new frame and bag in the backcountry packing equipment into the mountains to measure the snow pack. I've also been packing 50 lbs of weight plates around for general fitness training this past month. So far I am incredibly pleased with the new waist belt on the EVO frame. It gives a heavier load more stability and wrap around the pelvis area. The fit feels great as well in the lumbar area as I moved the pad around slightly to get a customized fit. My back is curved but I've never really had a problem with the older Krux frame and this one feels even more comfortable due to the belt.

The pack is working out great as well. The side zip is really important for me to access the bags contents while keeping the harness and back out of the snow. I also like running the bag in bivy mode to keep the bag trim yet sealed from too much snow entry.

How do you like the shoulder straps compared to the old Krux frame?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you like the shoulder straps compared to the old Krux frame?

They seem similar enough to the Krux that I have not noticed a difference. But I have not carried anything really heavy yet. When I had 100+ pounds in the Krux I never had any issues with the shoulder straps so I can image similar performance with these.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any updates so far?

Raptor,
Nothing earth shattering at this point. I've been using it for weighted training hikes with about 50 lbs in it. It's also been out on a couple of shed hunting outings. One thing I've noticed is the harness has really settled in under weight and has not needed any further adjustment. It seemed like it took a few trips for the Velcro to bite together and "settle in" for a proper fit. That's why I think people trying out a new pack should load it with a moderate amount of weight and take it out several different times. It gives a user a better idea of comfort once the pack has stabilized and been readjusted. That is why Stone Glacier offers their generous return policy.

I'll get more time with it once spring bear season starts. I'm looking forward to getting this thing bloody!

lif

WKR
I know your out chasing bears josh but wondering if you have any new opinions formed. I have an evo and xcurve at my house right now I thought the xcurve was going to be the latest and greatest but I haven’t been able to get it to fit well yet. Won’t conform to my back. The evo Krux seems to hug my back well. I’ve done about 20 miles of training with 50lbs bag of rock salt and still dialing it in perfect but I’m getting close. Josh, I was mostly wondering if you have any negatives or petty observations you could pass on to be aware of. Thanks.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know your out chasing bears josh but wondering if you have any new opinions formed. I have an evo and xcurve at my house right now I thought the xcurve was going to be the latest and greatest but I haven’t been able to get it to fit well yet. Won’t conform to my back. The evo Krux seems to hug my back well. I’ve done about 20 miles of training with 50lbs bag of rock salt and still dialing it in perfect but I’m getting close. Josh, I was mostly wondering if you have any negatives or petty observations you could pass on to be aware of. Thanks.

It sounds like your back may be on the flat side of shapes. The weight you are using on training hikes is perfect for getting everything dialed in. Keep making micro-adjustments until everything feels right. You can move the lumbar pad around a little at a time to get the right feel. You could also call SG and see how they recommend adjusting the lumbar thickness.

As far as my thoughts on the EVO system......Right now I am missing the external side pockets for my tripod legs or tent pole. You can still strap a tripod on the outside of the pack but I like the added security of having the legs in a pocket. But the intent of this pack bag is to be as lean and stripped down as possible so anything unnecessary has been eliminated. Other than that little feature, I am really liking the new frame and bag.

-Josh

lif

WKR
Thanks for update. I’ve adjusted the evo Krux pretty well, including the lumbar pad, and I’m loving it. At this point I have to come to the conclusion that the xcurve just doesn’t fit me. But I will say the weight difference between the xcurve and evo is a non issue and not noticeable. I definitely wouldn’t let the weight of the 2 frames to factor into the decision on frame choice. I ordered the 5900 bag for the pocket reason you mentioned. I like the minimalist approach but nice to have a legit access pocket on the front. I also didn’t want to get stuck with an unbalanced bag because I’m loading unbalanced gear weight in side pockets. The bag you choose clearly depends on what your packing in and how you like to access your gear. What do you think about the bag access on the 40/56?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think about the bag access on the 40/56?

I like the access of this bag. Side zippered has become one of my favorite features on the Sky Archer bag and also the 40/56. It allows access to most of the main bag without the harness and lumbar pad getting smashed into the dirt and snow.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I want to lash meat to the frame, with a bag attached but not used as a compression panel; ie load shelf and bag have their own compression straps. Are there loops down the side of the frame where I can attach G hook lash straps for the load shelf?

Sorry, missed this. Not there aren't. But you could put a set of straps that have triglides on one end (the strap around the center post) and then thread the frame strap through the triglide and slide this up against the frame. The friction should anchor the additional strap down at the base of the frame strap.

Alternatively a set of straps that have 2 buckles the width of the frame apart and then the straps continue away from the frame to ladderloc buckles. The frame straps would buckle into the frame width buckles and you tighten down the load. Then the continuing new straps with buckles clip into the bag to compress that. (Not sure if you can picture that?)

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update:

I've been spending a lot of time with this pack lately marching around in the snow in late April and bear hunting with it in May. The loads have varied from a 10.5 pound rifle in the quick release gun sling to a bow strapped on the back for long hikes up the trail. So far it has been purely day hunts with full kit of spotting scope and tripod, game bags, water/food, and extra layers, etc and I have zero complaints on comfort and adjust-ability. Now that the weather is a little nicer I'll be spending a little more time with backpacking loads and heavy weights for training hikes. I'll keep everyone updated on how it is progressing and what my thoughts are.

-Josh

attachment.php

Update:

I've been spending a lot of time with this pack lately marching around in the snow in late April and bear hunting with it in May. The loads have varied from a 10.5 pound rifle in the quick release gun sling to a bow strapped on the back for long hikes up the trail. So far it has been purely day hunts with full kit of spotting scope and tripod, game bags, water/food, and extra layers, etc and I have zero complaints on comfort and adjust-ability. Now that the weather is a little nicer I'll be spending a little more time with backpacking loads and heavy weights for training hikes. I'll keep everyone updated on how it is progressing and what my thoughts are.

-Josh

attachment.php

What bear spray holster have you found that works well with this hip belt?

Comparing SG 40/56, 3300, and 5900.

Thanks for offering insight on the SG packs. Do you have any thoughts on comparisons between the 40/56, 3300 and the 5900? I am looking for a pack for 3-7 day backcountry hunts (I realize that is a broad range!). I am pretty minimalist in packing and go frameless for non-hunting backpacking trips. This year is my first for backpacking hunting combo, so I am having a hard time estimating pack size.

Also, do you find the scope pocket causes unbalance in the 40/56?

cheers

UPDATE:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for offering insight on the SG packs. Do you have any thoughts on comparisons between the 40/56, 3300 and the 5900? I am looking for a pack for 3-7 day backcountry hunts (I realize that is a broad range!). I am pretty minimalist in packing and go frameless for non-hunting backpacking trips. This year is my first for backpacking hunting combo, so I am having a hard time estimating pack size.

Also, do you find the scope pocket causes unbalance in the 40/56?

cheers
If you are a minimalist the 40/56 with a lid would be fine for 7 days. The 5900 would be a great pack as well and collapses down really well when not fully stuffed. The 3300 is a bit tight for me when it's longer than 3 days or the weather is bad. Most of the time I run the 40/56 in bivy mode when I'm going for shorter trips and have plenty of room for rain gear and a larger shelter if needed. The scope pocket doesn't feel lopsided at all because when packing a scope I have a tripod strapped to the opposite side. When not packing a scope I stuff the pocket with light items that are nice to have readily accessible.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP