Kifaru frame life?

Shraggs

WKR
A few years ago I purchase a great setup for my annual western hunting. Nomad ona bikini with lots of extras. Love it.

Recently I bought a tahr to use for late season deer hunting, and also western day outings. I liked the shelf for a climber since I strap my bow to the pack.

My question is, is if start using this a lot more during each season - is there wear and on the frame that will shorten its life?

I'm I better off buying a second frame?

I honestly wouldn’t be worried about your frame at all. Worst case is wear on the fabric on the shelf and that would take a long time if you cinch everything down tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMcGee

WKR
I've had my bikini frame for 5yrs and use it more then my duplex frame. I wouldn't worry about buying a 2nd frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my duplex hunting frame for 3 years and gave it a really good work out this year hauling 4 big loads of meat. The frame is like new but I tore up some of the sewn connection points on the shoulder strap and hip belt area. It's a pretty tough set up and I'd be terrified to pack the loads I did with some of the previous packs I owned.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Your body will wear out before the frame will but if anything does wear out just send it to Kifaru to repair it. I still use a G1 Siwash I bought 15 years ago and had some stitching pull on the frame stays from stupid heavy loads, I dropped it off at Kifaru and they sent it back to me when they were done fixing it at no charge to me.

They will usually do minor repairs for free if you do happen to wear it out. I'd just cross that bridge when you come to it. The only other thing to consider is that the Bikini isn't as good for loads over 80lbs, so if you start doing that regularly you may want to consider a duplex based frame.

kcm2

WKR
I bought my first kifaru pack in 1998, a Spike Camp. It is still good as new.

MattB

WKR
The bikini frame is a good frame but was not Kifaru's most durable. Use it until you have an issue and then buy a new frame.

oldgoat

WKR
I don't know, but I never had much trouble coming up with an excuse to have a second frame, don't have to switch stuff back and forth all the time that way. Have my Nomad on Hunter Frame and Cargo Panel on my old Duplex Frame. I dreaming up excuses to get one of the new lighter frames Aron mentioned in recent podcast, because we have one more unmounted pack in the house right now that needs a mate!

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
thanks guys! i guess I’m like you oldgoat, one pack and one frame, but as i improve my gear i do really have more pressing areas to spend on since i own a good frame and funds are tight.

i have read the bikini is a good frame but certainly not the workhorse durability wise as the duplex. unfortunately i haven’t packed elk meat out yet… i train with 70 lbs here in low elevation and packing a camp in, and feel i can do 80 up high and it has been very comfortable for me at all weights I’ve carried. but if I’m honest, i don’t see myself pushing 100 lb loads, not routinely anyway.

so i hoped those of you with experience carrying loads and lots of miles on your frame would chime in.

thanks again, now for a new tarp and larger under quilt!

john

but if I’m honest, i don’t see myself pushing 100 lb loads, not routinely anyway.

The Bikini is plenty capable of pushing as high as you want it, it's just maybe not as comfortable as the Duplex based frames with those loads. Suffering through slight discomfort maybe once a year would be worth it for an upgrade in other gear that you use more regularly.

PMcGee

WKR
thanks guys! i guess I’m like you oldgoat, one pack and one frame, but as i improve my gear i do really have more pressing areas to spend on since i own a good frame and funds are tight.

i have read the bikini is a good frame but certainly not the workhorse durability wise as the duplex. unfortunately i haven’t packed elk meat out yet… i train with 70 lbs here in low elevation and packing a camp in, and feel i can do 80 up high and it has been very comfortable for me at all weights I’ve carried. but if I’m honest, i don’t see myself pushing 100 lb loads, not routinely anyway.

so i hoped those of you with experience carrying loads and lots of miles on your frame would chime in.

thanks again, now for a new tarp and larger under quilt!

john

I'd spend the money on something else. I've packed out 1/2 an elk twice with my bikini frame and it was fine. Is it as comfortable as my duplex? No but it's not to bad. Those loads were probably around 100lbs with meat and gear that was in my pack. I wouldn't hesitate to use my bikini again if I had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Felix40

WKR
I like my bikini frame a lot. It will last a long time but they do wear out. I have a considerable amount of wear on the lumbar pad of the belt and the sleeves that go around the stays. I use my stuff harder than most guys but I try not to abuse it. I broke a buckle last season while cinching down a whole deer. Those things are just plastic and can only take so much. Good news is that most things can be replaced super cheap. At some point I will replace the entire bag and frame but Im hoping thats another 5+ years down the road.

One other thing....training with hard stuff like steel plates is gonna wear your stuff out in no time. Use soft stuff when training super heavy.

Lawnboi

WKR
I take a good bit of care when strapping on a tree stand. Any sharp metal parts will tear it up.

Another frame is not the answer. But I replaced the bikini with the new duplex, very worth it.

MattBC

FNG
They last for a long time. I’d like to see someone wear out a Kifaru pack.

I have worn out a KU5200, took 5 years but I did wear one out. Literally had holes rub thru the fabric where the stays are. I was pretty disappointed with that as I loved wearing the pack for deer hunting. Emailed Kifaru and was offered a 40% discount on a new pack as this one was not fixable but I already have a duplex and EMR 2 so I haven't ordered a new one.

I have worn out a KU5200, took 5 years but I did wear one out. Literally had holes rub thru the fabric where the stays are. I was pretty disappointed with that as I loved wearing the pack for deer hunting. Emailed Kifaru and was offered a 40% discount on a new pack as this one was not fixable but I already have a duplex and EMR 2 so I haven't ordered a new one.

This is the exact reason they stopped making KU packs. You can't have an ultralight fabric and expect it to last forever. 5 years of moderate to heavy use is pretty damn good for a pack made out of silnylon.