New Kifaru bags being released this week!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Crater and the Cavern will be released this week from Kifaru.

The Cavern bag is about 5200 ci and has a built in enclosed spotter pocket on one side and a zippered access into the main bag on the other side.

The Crater is gigantic, like the size of the AMR and has the same spotter pocket and side access as the Cavern.

The back of both has the 3 independent compression straps like the Reckoning so you can strap tripods and what not to the back. Both also have the fold over/integrated lid like the Fulcrum/Reckoning/Woodsman.

I saw the Crater pack while I was in Denver last month and it looks awesome. I had the AMR for a year and while I did love it, I only ran the spotting scope pocket on it so this pack with the side zip would be the perfect "fix" if I were still running that pack. I will be sticking with my Fulcrum and AMR this year, but these are BA options! Frank did specify that this is not a replacement for the AMR.

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BdyOlfggziG/?taken-by=aron_snyder[/video]
[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BdyP2mtANdW/?taken-by=aron_snyder[/video]

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. Curious to get a closer look.

It's a pretty cool setup. The zipper on the side would be super handy so I didn't have to take my tripod or rifle off the back to get into the main bag. I just don't think it will replace the reckoning for me though. I think it would be a BADASS high country pack for mule deer, sheep, goats etc.

Nice to see side zip access being incorporated in some of their packs. That's one thing about the Metcalf I always liked.

That's cool. Now, if they'd make a true 1800-2000 ci day pack for the Frame's, with a few organization pockets, a meat shelf, and water bottle holders on the sides of the pack, they'd have the perfect pack line. Not everyone needs a 5000+ cubic inch pack. And, they sure have got a bunch of those in their arsenal as is.

Not being picky or complaining but, eastern guys hunt in areas they have to pack game out of too. And sorting through a current bag on a frame, to find a specific stuff sack, pull out, grunt call, etc out of one of their current packs, while perched 25 feet in the air, is frustrating. And Water bottle pockets on the side serve so many purposes I can't name them all. So, please consider it. PLEASE

That's cool. Now, if they'd make a true 1800-2000 ci day pack for the Frame's, with a few organization pockets, a meat shelf, and water bottle holders on the sides of the pack, they'd have the perfect pack line. Not everyone needs a 5000+ cubic inch pack. And, they sure have got a bunch of those in their arsenal as is.

Not being picky or complaining but, eastern guys hunt in areas they have to pack game out of too. And sorting through a current bag on a frame, to find a specific stuff sack, pull out, grunt call, etc out of one of their current packs, while perched 25 feet in the air, is frustrating. And Water bottle pockets on the side serve so many purposes I can't name them all. So, please consider it. PLEASE

I do a lot of eastern-style elk hunting out of stands and I find the 22mag on my 26" frame with a medium roll top on the bottom for my woobie to be perfect. I carry a grab-it and lash kit to haul out meat if I need to, which to do so I just separate the bag from the frame; strap the meat to the frame as if there were no bag there and then compress the bag on top the meat. When in the tree I keep my small stuff in the pocket on the top and a belt pocket on the front while my water bottle and bugle tube go in the side pockets for easy access.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

The 22 mag is a pretty freaking good option for that. It's 1000 ci over what you technically want, but I have used mine quite a bit in a treestand and haven't had any major complaints. Just sayin... until they get one you really want.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aron's gonna smack you for this. He already gets people bugging him weekly about the zippered woobie; now he's gonna get the frame too. It's ready when it's ready guys. Shit half the time prototypes never even see production.

Hahahaha I kept quiet on it because I know I'd get smacked!

Jordan, I don't figure they'll ever make one that would fit better than the 22 mag currently would. Which is why I posted that. Just in case: The Apollo with a horse shoe zip, a couple pockets on the flange that would hold light, gps, gloves, and calls, plus water bottle pockets would be PERFECT. ;)

You western guys have to carry a lot more practical and needed gear than us eastern guys do. I've looked at the 22 Mag. It's where I have been leaning. True, I do not need the 3000 CI pack for this. So, I've been pondering about getting pods to make me one, make one myself, or buy the 22 Mag. I was just being a little sis whining out loud. I guess because the 22 Mag doesn't have the water bottle pockets and, was way to big. I'm done now.

Thank you both for the suggestion. God Bless men

brownbear

FNG
I can't view the video- even signed up for IG account...

Am I off base that it resembles a full length 22 mag?

brownbear

FNG
The 22 mag is a pretty freaking good option for that. It's 1000 ci over what you technically want, but I have used mine quite a bit in a treestand and haven't had any major complaints. Just sayin... until they get one you really want.

I've been thinking this too... Isn't the 22 mag really an 1800 pack with two 600 side pockets (which, would work for water bottles?) But I don't own one, so cannot speak from experience

I can't view the video- even signed up for IG account...

Am I off base that it resembles a full length 22 mag?

Nowhere near a 22 mag. More like a Markhor and Argali (actually slightly bigger diameter) with a side zip on one side, giant spotting gusseted scope pocket on the other and some center compression straps.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been thinking this too... Isn't the 22 mag really an 1800 pack with two 600 side pockets (which, would work for water bottles?) But I don't own one, so cannot speak from experience

Yeah it is something like that. I need to look at Aron’s video again. Was planning on doing a video this weekend of mine for the Rokslide channel. Anywaything in particular you’d like to see covered on it.. or put in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownbear

FNG
Nowhere near a 22 mag. More like a Markhor and Argali (actually slightly bigger diameter) with a side zip on one side, giant spotting gusseted scope pocket on the other and some center compression straps.

Werd. Thanks for the description!

brownbear

FNG
Yeah it is something like that. I need to look at Aron’s video again. Was planning on doing a video this weekend of mine for the Rokslide channel. Anywaything in particular you’d like to see covered on it.. or put in it?

That would be awesome! I'm an eastern whitetail hunter and would really like to get a sense of what could fit in the main compartment. A few fleece jackets, or other commonalities for scale would be very helpful. Nalgene bottle (or silo) in the side pocket? I've been looking at the pack for sometime, but found it difficult to get a true appreciation of what the main compartment and the side pockets can handle. I'm very appreciative of the offer. Many thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The small one Frank said it's like 5200ci and they said the big Swarovski 95mm fit in the side pocket. Think it's going to plenty big enough for anything you want to take day hunting. I didn't have any problems viewing the video and I'm not a ig member. I'm interested in checking this bag out

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

I love to see you load it up for day hunting with a big spotter on the side and see how it all balances out. Maybe a bow or rifle in the center

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: