New Kifaru bags being released this week!

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
125e93665ff62c67cace16d4e1e42a34.jpg
6f16845eb7a9ee0ae23333ea5e922f33.jpg
3caa2a8583b8821b7dfe056565f32eb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 zippers on the left side? maybe these were prototypes? Sure looks like access to the bag and not the scope pocket in these pics.

AdamW

WKR
PS - Aron and Kifaru, don't let the fact that heathens hack the shoulder straps off the current guide lid serve as an excuse to not include them with the new version. $18 add on for shoulder straps later is a loser if we're speaking freely. Hahaha. :D

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 zippers on the left side? maybe these were prototypes? Sure looks like access to the bag and not the scope pocket in these pics.

There isn't 2 zippers on the left... the spotting scope pocket unzips on the side a little bit. The spotter pocket is also billowed (? I think is the word) so it folds flat when not in use. Probably why it looks like another side entrance on the left instead of a pocket.

deadwolf

WKR
Turns out I'll be getting a hold of the Crater to review, and I think Tony T is going to be getting the Cavern.

I'm super interested to run it side by side with the Reckoning and just see how I'd pack this differently. Being able to get into the bag without taking my bow/rifle or tripod off the back will be super handy. But the big draw to the Reckoning was with the bag compressed, you could still get in the bag with the back zipper. On the Crater I see a potential "issue" with having the zipper on the side and wanting to get in the bag, you'll need to lose some compression unless you get in through the top. All just depends on how you pack, what you pack, what your hunting style is, etc.

It's impossible to make the "perfect" bag.. there has to be a give and take. Aron said on a podcast that if there's enough people wanting a specific idea of a pack, they're going to look into it and if the demand is there they will build it.. not just making new bags to make new bags. That's one of the most attractive things about Kifaru, they make a ton of bags to fit about every need and style of anyone, and every single one of them is built from practical and pretty strategic standpoints from everyone in the shop. I think they are doing a BA job!

Wheww.. I think I almost made my first rant on here! I just get a little tired of them getting bashed for making "too many" bags and a lot of bags that are "basically the same thing", or "just making bags to make them". Makes me turn into a crazy person....... alright I'm done.

I think between the spotter pocket and new lid, and a belt pouch, I cant think of any reason I'd need personally to get into the main bag until making camp. I think the big boy is where I'm leaning. And not that I'll use it, but I like the option of the meat shelf on both. If the Cavern will compress well when not all the way full, I think I'm headed that route. For my purposes, moving on from an EMR2, if I was to go with the smaller of the two, I'd need to use the shelf for certain when it came time to pack out an animal. I like small and streamlined though....decisions decisons

Looking forward to your review Jordan!

colersu22

WKR
Are you testing the new lid Jordan? Looks like a good option for carrying a camera and some lenses.

Those zippers go into the pockets. Part of what makes it look like it isn't is the realization of just how huge that pocket is. It's gigantic.

ljalberta

WKR
Love seeing the new options! I think my perfect bag would be around 7k-8k ci, centre zip like the reckoning, but with a pillowing zipper pocket on each side like on these new bags. Stoked to see what else comes down the line this year.

JD619er

WKR
Instagram says they'll be on the website today but aren't up yet...Jordan do you know the prices?

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Random question here, but why don't any of the new large packs have a dedicated sleeping bag pocket anymore? Does everyone really dig through all their crap to get their bag out of the bottom, then unload and reload it all on the bag the next morning? I've been running a T1 for years now, and really like that when I break camp every morning things are simple. Tent goes in the side pocket, bag , pad, and pillow in the lower compartment, and done! If I have 7-10 days of bagged food to dig through and repack on top...seems like a bit of a pain. Just me?

gelton

WKR
Random question here, but why don't any of the new large packs have a dedicated sleeping bag pocket anymore? Does everyone really dig through all their crap to get their bag out of the bottom, then unload and reload it all on the bag the next morning? I've been running a T1 for years now, and really like that when I break camp every morning things are simple. Tent goes in the side pocket, bag , pad, and pillow in the lower compartment, and done! If I have 7-10 days of bagged food to dig through and repack on top...seems like a bit of a pain. Just me?

I think its because everyone was cutting them out of the bag including myself. On the T1 it is especially not needed because of the zipper that opens up the main bag near the bottom. With the guide lid, two center pockets and two side pockets on the T1 pretty much everything comes out of my main bag as soon as I set up camp anyway. The only thing that stays in my T1 main bag after setting up camp is my puffy jacket and kill kit.

But if you are moving camp everyday I could see where that might be an issue.

In my experience bag ends up getting repacked no matter what. I haven't heard many people missing the compartment and I never unzipped mine. Put everything in pullouts and packing/unpacking isn't as big of an issue. Also, you should have all your food out of your pack and hung in the tree anyway every night so just change the order you pack everything back up.

So now those of you (no one reading this thread) that wanted to get the new stone glacier packs can stay with kifaru!! :)

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk