Kifaru Crater & Cavern review preview, by Tony Trietch and Jordan Budd

BrentH

WKR
Crater in day pack mode chasing sheep. Collapses and works a lot better as a day pack than I expected. Better than my AMR did for me anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really like the looks of that pack. Does the Crater and/or Cavern have attachment points for a water bladder?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like the looks of that pack. Does the Crater and/or Cavern have attachment points for a water bladder?

There’s a tab inside the main bag that I hooked mine up to. Then ran the tube out of the side zip. Kinda threw it in so didn’t look much to see if there was a port.

BrentH

WKR
There’s a tab inside the main bag that I hooked mine up to. Then ran the tube out of the side zip. Kinda threw it in so didn’t look much to see if there was a port.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
While maybe not the very best comparison is it safe to say the Crater/Cavern is akin to a side-zip Argali/Tahr? With spotter pocket, obviously.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
While maybe not the very best comparison is it safe to say the Crater/Cavern is akin to a side-zip Argali/Tahr? With spotter pocket, obviously.

Sort of similar I suppose with small variances in size. The new bags also have independent compression straps on the back. And they have the integrated lid. I don't remember if the argali/tahr did or not, I have only looked at those a couple of times in person.

BrentH

WKR
Jordan, on the sheep hunt you were just on, were you carrying a spotter in the Spotter pocket while you had the bag compressed in day pack mode? Just curious if it was still easy to get in and out with the bag compressed like that?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan, on the sheep hunt you were just on, were you carrying a spotter in the Spotter pocket while you had the bag compressed in day pack mode? Just curious if it was still easy to get in and out with the bag compressed like that?

I actually didn’t bring my spotter with on the trip. I had a few water bottles in that pocket though and they were easy to get in and out. I’ll get some more photos this weekend of it with a spotting scope in the pocket.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for putting this review together! When it's all said and done, I'll be interested to hear how you feel the packs compare to the Reckoning because I know that one is up there as one of your favorites, Jordan.

dotman

WKR
Sort of similar I suppose with small variances in size. The new bags also have independent compression straps on the back. And they have the integrated lid. I don't remember if the argali/tahr did or not, I have only looked at those a couple of times in person.

Yeah the Argali is really close and has the integrated lid, I had mine modified with side zips on each side, so really the only diff is the side pocket.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
c442fd7c69a2fc607a037866ea247ca6.jpg

3b69cdbdf09b474e0310eb99b02029b9.jpg

The Cavern compresses down easily for a 6500ci bag.

Looking forward to this review! I'm on the fence between purchasing the Cavern or the Muskeg. Love the lay out of both packs. Just need some help before I pull the trigger.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to this review! I'm on the fence between purchasing the Cavern or the Muskeg. Love the lay out of both packs. Just need some help before I pull the trigger.

Don't hold back on questions! If there's anything in particular you'd like us to do with them we'll gladly do it ASAP.

204guy

WKR
Hopefully there's a lefthanded version in the works.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks Jordan!
I ran the MR Nice Metcalf for about 6 years. Sold my entire MR set up for a new Kifaru. I always had my 80mm STS on the zipper access side of the bag and rifle on the other. I would attach the Kifaru medium stove to the middle outside of the pack. It had a similar strap lay out as the Cavern, Crater and Muskeg. If its possible? I would like to see how the Cavern looks with the snow collar folded over and no top lid with about 5 days worth of gear and a Kifaru stove attached. I think freeing up that extra space in pack with the spotter on the outside is going to be a game changer! Thanks again for the help

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Jordan!
I ran the MR Nice Metcalf for about 6 years. Sold my entire MR set up for a new Kifaru. I always had my 80mm STS on the zipper access side of the bag and rifle on the other. I would attach the Kifaru medium stove to the middle outside of the pack. It had a similar strap lay out as the Cavern, Crater and Muskeg. If its possible? I would like to see how the Cavern looks with the snow collar folded over and no top lid with about 5 days worth of gear and a Kifaru stove attached. I think freeing up that extra space in pack with the spotter on the outside is going to be a game changer! Thanks again for the help

You bet! I'll do that as soon as I can for you. I used it with a lid this weekend just in day pack mode and honestly I wouldn't mind it just using a belt pouch on the fold over lid and maybe one pocket on the back, instead of the lid. I do like that OGL lid though.

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider

I am the same way except between the Reckoning and the Muskeg.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Thanks Jordan!

I can show you the Cavern with 5 days of gear folded with no lid. I do not have a stove though..

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all your information Jordan. I ended up buying the crater and have been testing it out for a couple of weeks. Had a G2 longhunter guide for 10 years or so. The crater horizontal strap system is an improvement for sure. The side compression straps are much larger than the center straps. The center compression straps work to secure a large box stove through the stove bag loops. Plenty of room in the bag or on the side if need be for a 12 man tipi. Hope that helps Cold Smoke. Thanks again Jordan!

Hey Jordan,

I am looking for a new pack. I was looking at the Reckoning, but I spoke to Frank at Kifaru and he suggested the Crater. How do you think the two compare? Besides size of course. Features, comfort, and usability for short trips and long trips?
Thank you!