Kifaru Crater & Cavern review preview, by Tony Trietch and Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Jordan,

I am looking for a new pack. I was looking at the Reckoning, but I spoke to Frank at Kifaru and he suggested the Crater. How do you think the two compare? Besides size of course. Features, comfort, and usability for short trips and long trips?
Thank you!

Shot you a PM!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did some cardio tonight with the Crater and about 5 days of gear for what I’d consider a scouting trip. The bottom is cinched down a bit around my sleeping bag, there’s plenty more circumference to the bag if you need it.

Here’s what’s in there:
15 degree bag
Sleeping pad
Niak tent
Puffy coat
Vest
Fleece layer
Toiletries
5 days of food
No water
15’s
Digiscoping camera
Gloves and beanie
Essentials kit
Cook kit
Spotting scope in spotter pocket
Helinox chair zero in spotter pocket also
Medium belt pouch - steripen, inreach and headlamp

5c9333de7b3a5bda4f72b65756bcaaba.jpg
74a141e8f6a7ba38b0dd6681c104ca56.jpg
017ed69ccbf7b435da5e435b0e7a11a0.jpg
9c3440ef05b181406365da189b0c1e6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Jordan!
I ran the MR Nice Metcalf for about 6 years. Sold my entire MR set up for a new Kifaru. I always had my 80mm STS on the zipper access side of the bag and rifle on the other. I would attach the Kifaru medium stove to the middle outside of the pack. It had a similar strap lay out as the Cavern, Crater and Muskeg. If its possible? I would like to see how the Cavern looks with the snow collar folded over and no top lid with about 5 days worth of gear and a Kifaru stove attached. I think freeing up that extra space in pack with the spotter on the outside is going to be a game changer! Thanks again for the help

Hope these help!

59ef1a6019915708d3524358c88f9bdb.jpg
4bab3277bd44f19dba920623ace934c0.jpg

Thats great Jordan,
After looking at you pictures and doing some research I ended up going with the Muskeg 7000ci bag with the 26 inch tactile frame. Also added a few Kifaru accessories.
Thanks again for the help

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
Not to put you on the spot Jordan, but if you had to pick either the Reckoning or the Crater based on experience with each at this moment, which one would it be? I realize you’ve had not nearly as much time wth the Crater as you’ve had the Reckoning but does the Crater make that good of impression to say it’s the way to go, albeit early in the game?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to put you on the spot Jordan, but if you had to pick either the Reckoning or the Crater based on experience with each at this moment, which one would it be? I realize you’ve had not nearly as much time wth the Crater as you’ve had the Reckoning but does the Crater make that good of impression to say it’s the way to go, albeit early in the game?

Oh gosh... As far as the different pocket configuration and such I really like the Crater/Cavern. But I miss not being able to completely unzip the bag and lay it open and I miss being able to keep the bag completely compressed to the frame while still being able to access the bag through the center zip. With a larger load in the Reckoning I was always able to still stuff in and pull things out of the center zip without touching side compression straps.. with the side zip it's a little more tricky. Other than that, I don't really miss the side pockets like I thought I would. I don't mind my tripod just being strapped to the outside with little protection. The sewn in side pocket on the Crater/Cavern is really nice being able to keep that protected, and it's spacious enough to fit other things inside as well with the spotter. Honestly they're just different packs and I can't say which I like better. Now, for the Crater's size, I do like it better than my AMR I had. The Cavern/Reckoning debate however is one is just tough to nail down for someone. Hopefully that half way helped, haha.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
[video=youtube_share;mq__QU8N574]https://youtu.be/mq__QU8N574[/video]
[video=youtube_share;i4a5jPuPx24]https://youtu.be/i4a5jPuPx24[/video]

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
[video=youtube;9pQdv6FaEQo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQdv6FaEQo&t=40s[/video]

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reviews should be posting soon! I took the Crater on an overnighter with the sawtooth and stove. 46lbs

764d7cc815ec74a2043127fd2e8d2624.jpg

d6fd4bfa83ab5f79020aec441a339542.jpg

Also, in regards to packing your boned out meat in the main bag with gear, what is your method? do you put the meat in first, close to your back and pack your gear around it? just curious as I have only used meat shelf, but this pack is big enough that I want to try putting meat in main bag.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite line in the review "The Cavern has adopted the compression strap system from the popular Kiraru Reckoning pack Link from Rokslide review if you can find it." Hahah.

Seriously though, great review. I *think* this is right up my alley as far as what type of pack I'd like, though I don't really have enough experience with various packs to say for sure. The compression and simplicity makes a ton of sense to me.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Also, in regards to packing your boned out meat in the main bag with gear, what is your method? do you put the meat in first, close to your back and pack your gear around it? just curious as I have only used meat shelf, but this pack is big enough that I want to try putting meat in main bag.

I put the boned out meat in a game bag then put it in a contractor bag. I put light items in the bag first like tent, sleeping bag, puffy, etc... then I put the meat above that light stuff but right up against the part of the bag closest to the frame. Then add other gear around the meat as needed. Head usually goes on top.
Basic idea is keep the heaviest item (meat) close to my shoulder blades as possible. Not low and not way up above my shoulders.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kifaru Crater & Cavern review preview, by Tony Trietch and Jordan Budd

My favorite line in the review "The Cavern has adopted the compression strap system from the popular Kiraru Reckoning pack Link from Rokslide review if you can find it." Hahah.

Seriously though, great review. I *think* this is right up my alley as far as what type of pack I'd like, though I don't really have enough experience with various packs to say for sure. The compression and simplicity makes a ton of sense to me.

Whoops, that was an editors note to the assistant editor. We’ll fix that!

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kicking this thread back up for an update. Using my Crater on my Colorado deer trip and started running it a different way that I really like for convenience. In the spotting scope pocket I put my essentials kit, tp, food, charger and sometimes a water container. Then inside the bag I run my kill kit, extra layers, spotter and/or 15’s and any other miscellaneous hunting things. Then I strap my tripod with or without a spotter or binocs on the back with my butt pad. Then a medium pocket on the top lid with my steripen, headlamp and inreach. I brought the native as a lid and while I do love that thing it’s just too much for the type of hunt I’m doing. I won’t be doing many final approaches in crazy terrain where I’ll need to drop my pack.... probably anyways.

61ed939651735aa788fdb5531d906801.jpg
4c396f55c542efac9ca0dd6cc5dd5acc.jpg