FNG with a Mystery Ranch Metcalf (guide lite) question

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. New to the forum. Just put in my first three miles today with my mystery ranch metcalf. I have the medium belt. The belt sits pretty comfortably on my hip bones. I have never owned a pack before and had a question on sizing. When I cinch the belt all the way down I have about seven to eight inches in between the padded sections. The pads come just in front of my iliac crests and cinch down on them. My shoulders felt no weight at all today but man the outside of my “cheeks” and hips were on fire. Does this sizing seem right? And also is that where a newbie should feel the most pain? Thanks so much guys and gals.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new Guidelight frame too and I'm experiencing slips.
If there's pain or tingling, there's pinching of nerve.
Contact MR Customer Service.

OP
E

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Hey thanks so much for the reply. How far apart are the hip pads spaced on your belt when they are cinched down. I down feel pinching so much as just a really good burn like when you are doing squats or deadlifts. What kind of slipping are you experiencing? Hopefully we can work through this together.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
kXGQkpum.jpg
2j3x88hm.jpg

OP
E

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Looks about like where I have mine. I watched a bunch of videos today and tried placing the hip pads much higher than you would think they should go and it seemed to really change the way it felt. Felt much more stable and secure. The clip is about an inch over my bellybutton and the pads seem to really sit on top of my hip bones.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
kinda experimenting with this Rug Gripper to prevent slippage. Won't get to test it out till Wednesday. I'd wear the pack at home, but, too many thing that could get knocked off :cool:

OP
E

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a good idea. Never thought of going that route. Probably best to not wear the pack inside. I have hit my basement ceiling just st a few Times today with my trekking poles lashed to the side.:D

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Rug Gripper railed. Didn't stick to the best, rubbed off.

Next experiment: Con-Tact Brand® Grip Premium Non-Adhesive Shelf Liner Excel Grip, aka cabinet liner. Ask the wife, they know this.

WKR
Hey guys. New to the forum. Just put in my first three miles today with my mystery ranch metcalf. I have the medium belt. The belt sits pretty comfortably on my hip bones. I have never owned a pack before and had a question on sizing. When I cinch the belt all the way down I have about seven to eight inches in between the padded sections. The pads come just in front of my iliac crests and cinch down on them. My shoulders felt no weight at all today but man the outside of my “cheeks” and hips were on fire. Does this sizing seem right? And also is that where a newbie should feel the most pain? Thanks so much guys and gals.

Was there weight in the pack? Sort of sounds like a conditioning issue more than a pack issue.

1. That belt is too small. A large would probably be money.
2. Unless something has changed, that belt has a plastic stiffener in it. It'll never be quite what a properly designed one will. Good but never perfect.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
I've had more issues with hot spots and discomfort caused by the clothing I'm wearing more than the pack. Basically issues caused by the clothing rubbing and moving under the pack belt

OP
E

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Guys thanks so much for all the replies. I spoke with Elizabeth from Mystery Ranch via phone and man was she helpful. I moved the yoke to where it was designed to be and it really changed the way the pack rides. Did a two hour hike today and the pain was more in my legs. Your right it really has a lot to do with conditioning as well. Just need to train harder.