Insight on new kifaru frame?

Lighter, stiffer, and better ventilated. What's not to like? We say a prototype and I think it was just over a pound lighter than the current gen hunting frame.

If it really is a pound lighter then that would put it an oz or 2 lighter than the SG Evo frame @ 2lb 7oz. The current hunter frame with composite stays is listed @ 3lb 5oz.

If hauls well, then that would be awesome and will definitely give it a try.

Now, they just need to produce some lighter bags. I would love to see a reckoning done in maybe a different material to get it in the sub 2lb range. A guide lid in the same material would be nice too. All in all, my current hunting frame, reckoning, 1 belt pocket and a chamber pocket, and guide lid is ~7lb. If this frame is truly a pound lighter then hopefully they are working on lighter bags too and could get an entire system down around the 5lb range total.

Kotaman

WKR
If it really is a pound lighter then that would put it an oz or 2 lighter than the SG Evo frame @ 2lb 7oz. The current hunter frame with composite stays is listed @ 3lb 5oz.

If hauls well, then that would be awesome and will definitely give it a try.

Now, they just need to produce some lighter bags. I would love to see a reckoning done in maybe a different material to get it in the sub 2lb range. A guide lid in the same material would be nice too. All in all, my current hunting frame, reckoning, 1 belt pocket and a chamber pocket, and guide lid is ~7lb. If this frame is truly a pound lighter then hopefully they are working on lighter bags too and could get an entire system down around the 5lb range total.

I saw the proto type with Matt. In a medium w/24" stays it was 1 lb 4 oz. lighter than the same size Hunter Duplex. For over a lb, I will upgrade. Lighter bags in a different material will probably follow. I think they knocked it out of the park with the new frame.

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
I saw the proto type with Matt. In a medium w/24" stays it was 1 lb 4 oz. lighter than the same size Hunter Duplex. For over a lb, I will upgrade. Lighter bags in a different material will probably follow. I think they knocked it out of the park with the new frame.
So is it a new bikini frame?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Does a pound lighter really make a big difference in comfort? When I am packing out 80 lbs of meat I can’t really tell 81 from 79.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
Does a pound lighter really make a big difference in comfort? When I am packing out 80 lbs of meat I can’t really tell 81 from 79.

I used to think this way but on a 7-14 day hunt, if you arent moving camp everyday, I would say more than 75% of the time you are hauling less than 20lbs...its only on the way in and the way out that you get close to 80lbs or more...so to me that additional weight savings does matter. I spend more time with less weight in the pack than I do with more weight in it.

Kotaman

WKR

When I can shave over a pound from my sheep hunting kit, THAT IS HUGE.

I wouldn't call this a new "bikini" frame. It is a new frame that is as rigid as the Hunter Duplex, carries like the Hunter Duplex, but weighs a lb. less.

I need a new frame for my Fulcrum. I have too many bags and not enough frames. I had a new duplex in my cart like 6 times and just couldn't hit the order button. Now I have a reason.
Or I will buy a used one when all these come out.
:)

I wouldn't call this a new "bikini" frame. It is a new frame that is as rigid as the Hunter Duplex, carries like the Hunter Duplex, but weighs a lb. less.

If it truly carried exactly like a Hunter Duplex then they would be discontinuing the Hunter. I think it's a reincarnation of the Bikini with more rigidity and comfort, but I still think you'll want the Hunter or Tactical when you have 150lbs on your back.

Last edited:

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking of frames, can someone explain to me again why Kifaru can't produce a frame/suspension in camo? My T1 internal frame has a camo belt and shoulder straps. The bikini frame was offered in camo. I just don't understand. I realize not everyone wants camo, and for some reason there are guys who spend their whole hunting life trying to prove that it's not necessary. But it seems like a company that does nothing but build gear for hunters could at least offer the option. $700-$800 for a backpack from a HUNTING company, and camo is out of the question. As much discussion as there is on this forum about camo color options from other manufacturers, I doubt I'm the only one who would like the option. The pack bag, nearly invisible when viewing from the front, is camo. But the belt and suspension, in full view, only solids. Probably won't ruin my hunt, but I would like the option. Maybe just me...

Anyway, the new frame is difinitely intriguing. Now I just need a T1 bag that someone is looking to sell (hint, hint)...

Speaking of frames, can someone explain to me again why Kifaru can't produce a frame/suspension in camo?

They did it to keep costs down. Adding more options would've decreased quantity of each and therefore increased costs across the board (not just camo options which are also more expensive due to licensing the patterns). The shoulder straps are not much bigger/wider than the stripes in ASAT, so I don't think it's a big deal. If it really is a big deal go with Coyote or Wolf and spray paint some camo patterns on it.

PredatorX

WKR
A pound savings when bivy hunting off your back is the difference between getting to take some whiskey in vs not. Ready for pre-order.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I am not adding anything useful to this discussion, but to me 1lb isn't enough to get me to switch... If I hadn't already sold my old pack and frame.

So I will wait patiently to see what the fuss is about.

I will say that I am skeptical that they would lighten up the current Hunter frame but still keep 3 frame options in their offerings. At least if the claim of it carrying loads as well as the current Hunter frame is true. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I am wrong though.

Still though 1lb is 1lb whether I am day hunting, carrying camp in, packing everything out, etc... 1lb will not make one bit of difference to me. Others may feel differently.

As far as packbags in other materials to lighten things up go that is a different story altogether as 500d isn't particularly quiet, but it a whole lot more quiet than almost of the other lighter materials that I have seen. To me if you are hunting with your pack on in any kind of cover/timber then
quiet trumps a small weight savings every time. Especially in Washington where I hunt. Then there is durability as well. Tradeoffs as always.

JD619er

WKR
I'm sure they will. Everything kifaru has came out with has been compatible with past products

Thats what I thought but then I heard there are different/more attachment points then before

Don't know where you heard that, but it's not true (that I noticed) of any of the prototypes I've seen. The new bags however are going away from holes in the hypalon and putting the load lifter loops directly on the bags, but those will slip over top of the ones on the frame.

Don't know where you heard that, but it's not true (that I noticed) of any of the prototypes I've seen. The new bags however are going away from holes in the hypalon and putting the load lifter loops directly on the bags, but those will slip over top of the ones on the frame.

Which sounds like a great resolution to separating the bag from frame much quicker when using a meat between frame and bag set up for pack out. Cause I can now install male/female buckles to simply snap and unsnap to get top of bag loose.
I modified my current duplex fames to speed this process up. Its not a huge deal until your hands are cold and cramped and ya cant get that 3 bar slider on or off them loops.

Which sounds like a great resolution to separating the bag from frame much quicker when using a meat between frame and bag set up for pack out. Cause I can now install male/female buckles to simply snap and unsnap to get top of bag loose.
I modified my current duplex fames to speed this process up. Its not a huge deal until your hands are cold and cramped and ya cant get that 3 bar slider on or off them loops.

We will see, as soon as someone cranks down a top compression strap hard enough to tear them out of the hypalon it may go away.