Insight on new kifaru frame?

Did he say in the video or podcast that it is more rigid than the hunter? I would presume with the 1/8" hdpe that it takes some of the "bowing" out of the edges that he talks about people experience with the 1/16" hunter frame. If im correct in my interpretation, youre basically deciding whether you want a full frame with a bit more flexibility at the top vs a lighter stiffer frame at the top that has better ventilation and an unprotected center back. If a guy wants to use the load shelf frequently then it sounds like a guy may be better of using the hunter/tactical since it will not require the new sheet attachment that he talks about...obviously that depends on the weight of that attachment. If you hull heavy center loads like sand bags or stands then it sounds like he still recommends the tac frame.

The issue of bowing in the hunter frame is due to people using the hunter frame to do things they should be using the tactical frame for. If you are hauling awkward loads that will cause bowing you should be using the tactical frame plain and simple, but people just buy the lightest option and expect there not to be downsides. As for the new frame there is more rigidity, but keep in mind that they are simply carbon arrows; so if you tried to strap something like a keg full of beer to it, there's no way they are going to stand up to you cranking down around a curved object super hard and they will probably break. As far as the gap in the middle, it's really up to you if whatever you plan on hauling can come through the gap. If you don't want blood on the back of your shirt you'll need the new X-Pac sheet accessory that Aron mentioned; but any sheet of fabric/plastic would do.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I wish Aron would have twisted the frame so we could see in the video. He pushed on the sides and it appears quite solid with the arrow shaft but I hope it flexed a little as you twist, at least more so than the hunter frame. I don't plan on getting rid of my hunter frame but I was going to get an Exo frame as a back up and for general backpacking use but this may be a better option for me. I'm looking forward to some real world reviews and comparisons.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Just watched it again and I was hoping for the same thing.
He grabs it and demonstrates that it won't barrel.

I wish that he had grabbed it at the top of each side and twisted it to see if each side can move a bit independently of the other side. As in one side moves forward while the other side goes backward.

Doesn't really matter to me though. When I get my new system the only consideration for me is if I will have an issue with stuff poking through the skeltonized section where there is no frame sheet.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
The issue of bowing in the hunter frame is due to people using the hunter frame to do things they should be using the tactical frame for. If you are hauling awkward loads that will cause bowing you should be using the tactical frame plain and simple, but people just buy the lightest option and expect there not to be downsides. As for the new frame there is more rigidity, but keep in mind that they are simply carbon arrows; so if you tried to strap something like a keg full of beer to it, there's no way they are going to stand up to you cranking down around a curved object super hard and they will probably break. As far as the gap in the middle, it's really up to you if whatever you plan on hauling can come through the gap. If you don't want blood on the back of your shirt you'll need the new X-Pac sheet accessory that Aron mentioned; but any sheet of fabric/plastic would do.
I disagree with you. I have never hauled anything oddly shaped on my Hunter frame and it barrels, that is unless a sand bag in the shape of a game bag full of meat is considered an awkward load.

brocksw

WKR
I disagree with you. I have never hauled anything oddly shaped on my Hunter frame and it barrels, that is unless a sand bag in the shape of a game bag full of meat is considered an awkward load.
According to aron, a sandbag would qualify as an awkward load or a load that would make a hunter frame "bow".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
Well its a sand bag in the shape of a TAG bomb bag which Aron helped design so I guess what you are saying is the Hunter frame isnt designed to haul boned out elk meat?

wapitibob

WKR
The frame in the MOA vid flexes but there was no frame sheet when I had it in my hands. Depending on the way they affix the sheet it should stiffen right up.

bmart2622

WKR
I dont care about the bowing because to me it does not affect the comfort but I disagree with someone saying I am not using my pack for its intended purpose.

brocksw

WKR
Well its a sand bag in the shape of a TAG bomb bag which Aron helped design so I guess what you are saying is the Hunter frame isnt designed to haul boned out elk meat?
I believe arons point was that if you haul a heavy load down the center if the frame with nothing else on it...and then torque on the compression straps it will cause the frame to bow.

twall13

WKR
Does the bowing cause any discomfort? My hunter frame will bow a bit with a sand bag but I only notice it by looking at it. In practical use I've never felt a difference. I'm just wondering if it causes a felt difference for others or if we are just talking about what amounts to a cosmetic difference. Obviously the Tactical frame is more stout but for my use I've never felt like I needed a more stout frame than the hunter frame.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

According to aron, a sandbag would qualify as an awkward load or a load that would make a hunter frame "bow".

Yes, a round object such as a sandbag smaller than the width of the frame would qualify. It's a thinner frame sheet that's the only thing that provides that planar rigidity. If you're going to strap a round object to a flat plane you are going to need the thicker sheet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The tag bags were designed with the intent that they be used along with a bag full of gear which would then make your load wider than the frame and prevent bowing

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
The bowing doesnt affect the comfort for me. I am not disputing what causes the bowing, I know full well what causes it and again I dont mind since it is purely asthetic to me. My only issue is saying that the frame only bows when you use it for an unintended purpose when again, I think hauling boned meat is the intended purpose of the Duplex frame.

bmart2622

WKR
It is being used with a bag and gear in it. I am well aware of what all the gear I own is designed and intended for.

My user experience with the hunter frame is weekly training of sand plus 4 weeks in the field over the past year. The result: I never once had bowing affect comfort and the frame will carry more weight than my body prefers too! My normal training load is 60lbs with pack in weight on trips from 55 to 80lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
What will i notice different between the old bikini frame and the new frame other than the build? More comfortable? Weight capacity? I see a difference from the hunter frame having more padding on the back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmden

WKR
Be curious to see what folks think of this new frame. Bikini still does everything I've asked it to do. Have had up to 130lbs on it in very steep nasty x-country areas. Have 80-90lbs for several miles and thousands of vertical feet several times a year. Had a Longhunter before that to compare too. YMMV

I need one more frame
And have been waiting on this set up to come ready for release

It will be my light weight day mode set up

I will also haul full loads of elk quarters.

Can't wait for this

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
I know the new bags are coming with the load lifter loops attached to the bag and not using the ones sewn on the frame. In the video the frame looked like it had a single loop at the top and not all 3 like the current frames. Will be curious if it comes with the 3 to have the option of changing the angle of the load lifters while using the "old" bags.
Not that it really matters to me since I always use the top loop on all my frames, but thoughts having the option to change angles was always nice and opened up configuration on a single frame to multiple different types of people.

AZinAK

FNG
Does a pound lighter really make a big difference in comfort? When I am packing out 80 lbs of meat I can’t really tell 81 from 79.

Maybe this is coming from the wrong guy as I am mostly a mountain hunter anymore that hunts 10-14 days at a time with everything on my back. Ounces become pounds, and pounds become too much to carry, especially with incline/decline and distance. The other HUGE thing for the select few that fly in on their hunts is that depending on the chariot you ride into the hills in, your bag weight limit can be as low as 50 pounds. A couple pounds difference just in bag weight is a lot of gear or food that you wouldn't be able to take otherwise. For your typical weekend guy, four wheeler guy or short duration hunter, it may not be worth it. To a guy like me, as long as it can handle and comfortably carry 100+ pounds for 10-20 miles at a time, I'm VERY interested. Keep on keepin on Kifaru.

AZinAK

I get that... and I do backpack hunt but typical pack distance into spike camp is only 6-8 miles. Stay 7-10 Days. I guess 1lb lighter frame is 1 more pound and water which is great if comfort stays equal.