Insight on new kifaru frame?

FireFixer

FNG
FireFixer, as far as I can tell nothing has changed that would affect the way the Exo bag would attach. Hope that helps!
Awesome thanks! I figured as much since this new frame still has to work on the order kifaru bags that the mounting hasn't changed.

Huntnfmly

Lil-Rokslider
I'm ordering my ul frame this week and I noticed that the load lifters only attach to 1 spot now no where to lower it to lower loop.
Am I missing something or whatever size frame you get that's where load lifters stay?
I have a older emr2
Thanks
Jim

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
I'm ordering my ul frame this week and I noticed that the load lifters only attach to 1 spot now no where to lower it to lower loop.
Am I missing something or whatever size frame you get that's where load lifters stay?
I have a older emr2
Thanks
Jim

All the new bags have adjustment for different angles/heights but I believe you are right. The frames have one attachment point. I haven’t even pulled my new bags off to check. Either way. I don’t change load lifter angles. I have my 26” on full height. In my experience there is no downfall of having load lifters ‘too tall.’ My fiancé is 5’ 10” and runs hers at full height also on the 26”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntnfmly

Lil-Rokslider
Hey slim thank you. That's what I figured just checking to see if I was missing anything.
I see you're a fellow Washingtonian.

work765

WKR
Question. This my first new frame purchased from kifaru. I don’t remember my used duplex having this.
On my shoulder straps they seem to flare out a bit and not necessarily fit with the contour of my traps. I have a pretty standard trap-shoulder angle. But I notice the strap touching down more on the inside(towards my neck) and then lifting lifting off my traps(shoulder side).
Do the straps just need to break in? Or am I adjusting something wrong?

21a87c3ca1ef18da1129ab8bcf5d1cdf.jpg

92xj

WKR
Observations from the picture but not necessarily answering your question...
Move your 3 bar slider down. You should not bottom out the buckle on your load lifter to the slider.
Is your sternum strap buckled with no slack but not tight?

And a random question for anyone about the new frame/straps, what's the stretch loop on the shoulder strap right below the 3bar slider used for?

work765

WKR
Move your 3 bar slider down. You should not bottom out the buckle on your load lifter to the slider.

And a random question for anyone about the new frame/straps, what's the stretch loop on the shoulder strap right below the 3bar slider used for?

Thanks. I’ll move the anchors closer to my collar bone. Just watched some kifaru videos

Tag_Soup

WKR

I’m not sure if it’s specifically for this, but I find it really useful for keeping a hydration hose secured.

slim9300

WKR
I’m not sure if it’s specifically for this, but I find it really useful for keeping a hydration hose secured.

The new hydration hose keepers on both shoulder straps make this a thing of the past! I ran mine your way for nearly a decade with my K packs but this is now much better.

slim9300

WKR
Question. This my first new frame purchased from kifaru. I don’t remember my used duplex having this.
On my shoulder straps they seem to flare out a bit and not necessarily fit with the contour of my traps. I have a pretty standard trap-shoulder angle. But I notice the strap touching down more on the inside(towards my neck) and then lifting lifting off my traps(shoulder side).
Do the straps just need to break in? Or am I adjusting something wrong?

21a87c3ca1ef18da1129ab8bcf5d1cdf.jpg

To me it also looks like you need to lengthen the shoulder strap length which will naturally bring down the 3-bar slider on its own. The hydration keepers are way too high based on where mine sit comfortably. You don’t appear to have a big/thick chest, but you must?

First, disengage the load lifters and retake the photo. In order to adjust the torso correctly to begin with, the load lifters cannot be engaged.

Here is my opinion. The torso is either too long or, you need to take the strap out of the top cross section on the frame to get it to lay down on the contour of your shoulder. Maybe both. Whatever you find out after fooling with it, Don't worry about the position of the slider to determine correct torso length adjustment. That was on the frames a couple generations ago. Get the torso right and, then adjust the slider to your comfort afterwards. That is coming from Aron on the fitting video. Not my opinion.

slim9300

WKR
First, disengage the load lifters and retake the photo. In order to adjust the torso correctly to begin with, the load lifters cannot be engaged.

Here is my opinion. The torso is either too long or, you need to take the strap out of the top cross section on the frame to get it to lay down on the contour of your shoulder. Maybe both. Whatever you find out after fooling with it, Don't worry about the position of the slider to determine correct torso length adjustment. That was on the frames a couple generations ago. Get the torso right and, then adjust the slider to your comfort afterwards. That is coming from Aron on the fitting video. Not my opinion.

I have found the same. It’s amazing how much moving that 3-bar slider changes pressure points when you are carrying over 60-70 pounds.

Squirrels

WKR
Not to derail, but anyone who has a Kifaru Duplex Light care to comment if you have also had an EXO K2 frame. Be interested to know your thoughts. I had a Duplex hunter and for me personally the K2 fit me/my needs slightly better. I am very interested in this new frame though.

What's the best way to decide between 26" and 24"? I'm shorter, 5'9" with an ~18-19" torso. I'm ready to place my order, but I don't want to select the wrong frame. I already have a 26" Bikini frame which seams ok, but in my experience using it I sometimes hit my head on the cross bar. Plus, no matter how I adjust it, it always wants to sit and ride low. Is that the frame length or my inability to get the adjustment just right? I know Becca Moffat rocks a 26" and I'm pretty sure I'm taller than her. So, I'm guessing frame length is just preference? If it helps, a High Camp 7000, an Apollo, or an old Day Stalker will ride on it depending on the day.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
In the end, it's your decision, but based on my limited knowledge, I'd go with a 24" frame at your height.

Go with the 24 inch frame.

If it is riding low, shorten the torso until it doesn't ride low. If you fit the new one like you did the Bikini, it is going to ride low too.

matman

Lil-Rokslider
What's the best way to decide between 26" and 24"? I'm shorter, 5'9" with an ~18-19" torso. I'm ready to place my order, but I don't want to select the wrong frame. I already have a 26" Bikini frame which seams ok, but in my experience using it I sometimes hit my head on the cross bar. Plus, no matter how I adjust it, it always wants to sit and ride low. Is that the frame length or my inability to get the adjustment just right? I know Becca Moffat rocks a 26" and I'm pretty sure I'm taller than her. So, I'm guessing frame length is just preference? If it helps, a High Camp 7000, an Apollo, or an old Day Stalker will ride on it depending on the day.

Call Kifaru, their customer service talks to a bunch of people just like you throughout the year and helps them decide on the correct frame for them. I couldn’t decide between the 24” and 26” because of my height either, but after talking to Kifaru we decided with my long legs and short torso, and the way I would be hunting the 24” would ride best for ME. Give them a ring, you will be surprised how helpful and patient they are providing a ton of information that will help steer your decision to the best possible match. All the guys on here are great to listen to as well just throwing out another option for ya. Even after all the talking and decisiveness it ultimately comes down to what feels and performs the best to you.

Last edited:

oldhorse

WKR
Update on the new Lite frame performance (Better late than never!). I finished my thru-hike of the Highline Trail a day early. Ended up being 5 days and 4 nights; 57.6 miles. I'm very pleased with the new frame. Sturdy, yet flexible, excellent ventilation. After 2-3 days of hiking with a 64 pound load I had to shorten the torso length as everything broke in and stretched out a little. I expected this, as I have experienced the same issue with my other new Kifaru frames that I have owned. So, to Aron, Eric and everyone else involved in the research and development of the new frame; Well done, once again!