Insight on new kifaru frame?

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
So i'm finally purchasing my first kiraru frame and pack but I know they are coming out with a new frame.. does anyone have any details of it? Should I wait for the new one to come out or go with the duplex frame they have now?

Grumman

WKR
Either wait for a new one or wait to pickup an old style at a discount from the classifieds once folks sell to get the newest version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at their lineup now, I can't imagine it being anything other than a lightweight option. Something 2.5lb or less. The problem is their bags keep getting bigger and heavier, so maybe I'm wrong and it will be some kind of ultra heavy duty option that's beefier than the current line up.

I am hoping to see something lighter. My current kifaru setup is almost 8lb with lid and a couple of accessories on the belt.

I saw the way the bag attaches is what seems to be changing. I sort of tried to adj mine to get this implemented. The reason I did it was to get the meat hauler option set up quicker and easier when in the field, exhausted, cramped up and dehydrated with extremities not properly functioning.
I saw a Vid where Aron discussed the sleeve and attachment point for the load lifter being modified.
At least that is how I remember it. I could be wrong.

The only down fall I could see in my duplex was getting this part quickly on/off the frame when the time came up.
I mean come on:

- the belt set up is already so awesome and comfortable.
- the ability to haul heavy loads is already 2nd to none
- the ability to both compress and expand is 2nd to none.

The only issue I had was going from gear hauling to meat hauling.
The new Fulcrum tackled this with just throwing meat in the bag.
But many of us just don't want to or cant do that.

I sure hope they come up with a quick connect/disconnect up where the Hyp sleeve was. I heard the holes n that area have been eliminated. Cant wait to see what they did. Their ideas are always a step way above mine.

I also bet next year is the year of the Whitetail deer hunter.
;)

Lawnboi

WKR
Their current frame hauls great. Compared to the old bikini I'll happily carry the extra weight. With so much competition making their frames lighter and lighter I hope to see them shave some weight.

The wife needs a frame, possibly so I might get to play.

Well, from what I saw on instagram, the new frame is definitely going to have better ventilation. It appeared to not have the wrap around body that covered the shoulder straps like on the hunter, lightweight, and the Tactical frame have. Kinda like the Bikini but, with a frame sheet. I'm guessing it's going to be lighter weight offering with a few changes to the new bags that make meat shelf deployment easier. Not that it was hard to begin with but, all these great companies are in a race to win the most customers they can by shaving ounces off their frames. I understand and appreciate their efforts because the consumer drives their market. If it's Kifaru it's right whatever its gonna be. But, it'd take 40 or 50 pounds over my abilities, to keep me off the mountain. Not ounces or a pound and a half. So, I simply do not understand this consumer obsession with mere ounces of frame.

As stated above, guys complain of their Kifaru setups being heavy. Well, if you build packs with 500 and 1000D cordura big enough to carry a whole deboned elk and a bunch of camp gear, with all the pals to add another 1500-2000 Ci's in pouches, enough compression straps to truly compress it when nearly empty, and put a 1200 CI lid on top with four straps and buckle's, they aren't going to be as light as a bare bones SG, SO, or a titanium framed EXO made form a lighter fabric. It's a trade off for sure and time will prove that. But come on, is 2.5 pounds of total pack weight that much? It never has been to me when I know that I can bloat the bags with loads, put more weight than I can resonably carry on the frame, and still have a pack after 10 years of doing so.

mflood, I sure hope you are right about more framed pack options for the whitetail deer hunter in their future. That market is going to grow exponentially in the years to come since people in the east are starting to realize that a framed pack is the best choice whether you are carrying a climbing stand 1 mile or, doing 5-10 mile day hunts in and out. I looked on a recent thread and saw where many of the wilderness places in CO only had a few places that you couldn't cross a road within 5-6 miles of another. Well, from that thread, there's more of those areas in WV than in CO. And, there is a whole bunch more of those areas starting in the mid Atlantic states up through Maine, that is the same way. So, there is a huge potential market place for those type products in the future. Anyways, God Bless men

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wait, either buy the new one or buy a used one as many will be selling the old ones off to pay for the new one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd wait.

I ordered a Stone Glacier s-curve because I wanted to build an ultra light pack (I have a 28" kifaru tactical and a fulcrum), I got my x-curve and really like it but they just came out with one that is much lighter. Im VERY disappointed to say the least, I wish I'd waited a few weeks.

When I was buying the frame, I had some back and forth communication with SG, just questions ETC. It would have been really nice if they had of mentioned there was new stuff coming out.

I'm in the same boat as far as investing in my first Kifaru setup, I contacted them and asked this exact question, they told me to wait as the new one would be lighter and more comfortable. They said it will be available in the spring. I will either buy the new one or has been stated, buy a used one at a bargain.

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat as far as investing in my first Kifaru setup, I contacted them and asked this exact question, they told me to wait as the new one would be lighter and more comfortable. They said it will be available in the spring. I will either buy the new one or has been stated, buy a used one at a bargain.
How long ago did u talk with them? Just woundering if it mite be late winter for release

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well, from what I saw on instagram, the new frame is definitely going to have better ventilation. It appeared to not have the wrap around body that covered the shoulder straps like on the hunter, lightweight, and the Tactical frame have. Kinda like the Bikini but, with a frame sheet. I'm guessing it's going to be lighter weight offering with a few changes to the new bags that make meat shelf deployment easier. Not that it was hard to begin with but, all these great companies are in a race to win the most customers they can by shaving ounces off their frames. I understand and appreciate their efforts because the consumer drives their market. If it's Kifaru it's right whatever its gonna be. But, it'd take 40 or 50 pounds over my abilities, to keep me off the mountain. Not ounces or a pound and a half. So, I simply do not understand this consumer obsession with mere ounces of frame.

As stated above, guys complain of their Kifaru setups being heavy. Well, if you build packs with 500 and 1000D cordura big enough to carry a whole deboned elk and a bunch of camp gear, with all the pals to add another 1500-2000 Ci's in pouches, enough compression straps to truly compress it when nearly empty, and put a 1200 CI lid on top with four straps and buckle's, they aren't going to be as light as a bare bones SG, SO, or a titanium framed EXO made form a lighter fabric. It's a trade off for sure and time will prove that. But come on, is 2.5 pounds of total pack weight that much? It never has been to me when I know that I can bloat the bags with loads, put more weight than I can resonably carry on the frame, and still have a pack after 10 years of doing so.

mflood, I sure hope you are right about more framed pack options for the whitetail deer hunter in their future. That market is going to grow exponentially in the years to come since people in the east are starting to realize that a framed pack is the best choice whether you are carrying a climbing stand 1 mile or, doing 5-10 mile day hunts in and out. I looked on a recent thread and saw where many of the wilderness places in CO only had a few places that you couldn't cross a road within 5-6 miles of another. Well, from that thread, there's more of those areas in WV than in CO. And, there is a whole bunch more of those areas starting in the mid Atlantic states up through Maine, that is the same way. So, there is a huge potential market place for those type products in the future. Anyways, God Bless men

When Aron and Brian aka Gritty Bowman went white tail hunting I thought, Huh - cool. Maybe Something going on there. Then when I heard they were in tree stands I thought, huh something definitely going on there. Then I hear a pcast with Aron asking Frank what he thought about the white tail hunt/tree stand, I thought uhumm lots of "getting used to " tree stand white tail hunting happening back to back.

It is a market they could capitalize off of. Especially hauling stands in and out, accessibility to packs when hung up, and then hauling out deer.

I cant wait for a new frame to come out, I need another 24" and will find a used one pretty decent $$ hopefully.
:)

kickemall

WKR
Anybody know if by chance they are going to have the prototype at the Reno Sheep Show this week?

PredatorX

WKR
Sounds like this frame is 2 years in the making and is going to blow people away. I'm ready to order!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk